Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 12-27-2019, 06:36 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

I just finished my third practice exam. I'm passing them, but I've been taking over an hour extra to finish because I'm getting bogged down by algebra.
Advanced: FAP | PA
Professionalism: APC
Old 12-31-2019, 10:42 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoactuariesevendo View Post
I don't know how you would search them, but I really wish they just gave us a hard copy. They already give you like 5000 sheets of paper for scratch work.
When i've been doing problems, i have the PDF open and like to ctrl-f "pareto" or whatever so I don't have to do so much scrolling... this is particularly annoying if they don't have it for lognormal problems where i find myself moving back and forth between the standard normal table and the lognormal section.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:45 AM
SOA

Quote:
Only got 12/35 right on first practice test, totally skipped 18 questions, mostly MLE and Credibility. Is that typical? I didn't really review much except Chapter 1 though.
i've had to do a lot of re-reviewing on those two sections primarily. Also need to shore up memorizing a lot of stuff now. i'm also mildly concerned that the CA practice questions on short-term insurances are too easy and that there will be harder stuff on the actual exam.

There is so much material here, on top of a lot of tedious algebra. but hey, we've got time!!
Old 12-31-2019, 02:35 PM
SOA

Questions for students:
Does anyone else not see the student discount being applied to the final fee? I checked the box where it asks if I am a student but the fee still shows $375 instead of the student fee of $300.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:06 PM
SOA

Completed my first pass of the material however I need to urgently revise Ratemaking, Reserving & Credibility. Should be able to get this done in 2 weeks max. That will leave me with approximately 4 weeks to my exam.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:28 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

I’m at EL 7.25 after 5 adapt exams but I’m getting almost all of the reserving questions wrong. I’m going to start going through the SOA problems and then circle back to reserving.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcnjmathmajor97 View Post
I’m at EL 7.25 after 5 adapt exams but I’m getting almost all of the reserving questions wrong. I’m going to start going through the SOA problems and then circle back to reserving.
wow, I'm not even close. Are you doing these in Exam conditions? notes, formula sheet, extra time? I've done 3 exams, and finally got over 70% on the third one. I was kinda sad that it barely bumps up the level from 3 to 3.49, and it seems liked I'd need to take soooo many more exams than I have time for to get to a level 7. I'm also still referencing notes until I get stuff memorized, but I've definitely made major improvements since the beginning.

Also, my biggest struggle is still the MLE problems. I always make some dumb mistake!
Old 01-05-2020, 08:39 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

Quote:
wow, I'm not even close. Are you doing these in Exam conditions? notes, formula sheet, extra time? I've done 3 exams, and finally got over 70% on the third one. I was kinda sad that it barely bumps up the level from 3 to 3.49, and it seems liked I'd need to take soooo many more exams than I have time for to get to a level 7. I'm also still referencing notes until I get stuff memorized, but I've definitely made major improvements since the beginning.

Also, my biggest struggle is still the MLE problems. I always make some dumb mistake!
Iíve been taking too much time. Sometimes an hour extra, but Iíve been getting better. Iím pretty good with the formulas, though, because I made flash cards as I progressed through the material and studied them pretty frequently.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcnjmathmajor97 View Post
Iíve been taking too much time. Sometimes an hour extra, but Iíve been getting better. Iím pretty good with the formulas, though, because I made flash cards as I progressed through the material and studied them pretty frequently.
major props to earned level over 7 already. i'm only at 3.5 after a couple exams. I've been taking them without notes or anything which means i'm missing some easy problems for the more obscure stuff i haven't memorized yet. really hoping to crank it into gear over the next two weeks.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:58 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbrake84 View Post
major props to earned level over 7 already. i'm only at 3.5 after a couple exams. I've been taking them without notes or anything which means i'm missing some easy problems for the more obscure stuff i haven't memorized yet. really hoping to crank it into gear over the next two weeks.
Glad I'm not the only one! I only just made flashcards after a couple exams for the few things I was having trouble remembering, like TVaR for Normal/LogNormal and all the Conjugate Prior stuff.