Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 01-03-2020, 10:35 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

College: Southern Connecticut State University Undergrad

Libratus took 5 minutes to solve some river decisions and it was only playing 200bb deep. But maybe 649 is not materially different.

Just lock this thread lol I'm getting mad online. Thanks for the advice though, I got a lot to think about now wrt staying in school or not.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:40 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmaker View Post
So how did your first semester go????
It went very well Breadmaker, thanks for asking . I was worried that it was gunna be tough but I got a 4.0 without much effort. Tons of talent on campus too but I had to keep reminding myself I'm twice their age.

How are you Breadmaker? Do you mind sharing how and when you knew you wanted to be an actuary?
Old 01-03-2020, 10:46 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

I just decided in the summer I wanted to quit poker. I initially thought I wanted to go to med school so I was taking like chem and physics last semester not even math.

But now I want to become an actuary because a bunch of nerds don't think I can do it!
Old 01-03-2020, 10:47 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

I graduated with a B. Sc. in Actuarial Science many, many moons ago. Wrote my first SoA exam just after 2nd year, wrote the last one at your age. Math never scared me, but it did anger and annoy me at many times!
Old 01-03-2020, 10:48 PM
SOA

Have you thought about other math-based majors, e.g. operations research, comp sci? Gaming companies could probably find a place for someone like you!
Old 01-03-2020, 10:53 PM
SOA

Gotta sign off. Will be back on later.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:53 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmaker View Post
Have you thought about other math-based majors, e.g. operations research, comp sci? Gaming companies could probably find a place for someone like you!
Kind of? But probably not enough I'm sure. I haven't had much guidance. Just a self employed degenarate my whole life. Do you have any more key words I can look up online for different types of jobs like that? Working for a gaming company sounds dope.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:40 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

The problem with trying to work for a gaming company or similar afaict is that my resume "gap" will be a much bigger issue there. Maybe not? Like I've mentioned, I'm very ignorant about a lot of things in the real world that normal, well adjusted employed humans take for granted.

It's also hard to justify working an EL job at a gaming company for way less than my poker hourly. But I am committed to getting a real job of some sort.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:34 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatSleepPLO View Post
Can I ask how did you know you wanted to be an actuary? Or are you just kind of lucky that you didn't start hating it after a few exams like a lot of other people.
I didn't know what an actuary was when I graduated college. Studied Econ and really liked my data analysis/modeling classes. A year into my first job doing marketing data analysis I was figuring out what I wanted to do long term and discovered actuarial. Got coffee with a friend of a friend who is an FSA and it sounded like something I'd enjoy doing so I passed the first two exams while still at my first job and then got my first actuarial job just before I passed my third.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatSleepPLO View Post
Kind of? But probably not enough I'm sure. I haven't had much guidance. Just a self employed degenarate my whole life. Do you have any more key words I can look up online for different types of jobs like that? Working for a gaming company sounds dope.
What type of work-related tasks do you enjoy doing?

If you came in here like I enjoy collecting together my credit card spending data and forecasting the trend in my different spending categories I'd be like I bet you'd like being an actuary.

But if you're like I need a stable job and this seems fair enough lemme commit to it I'd be like ur insane you're starting down a path of literally thousands of hours of personal time spent studying, and that's assuming you have the interest to actually turn those hours into exams passed. All to get a job that isn't like taking/studying for exams at all.