Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 08-05-2019, 12:37 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
Raising children in a high COL area is a luxury. Personally, I'd rather that not be the case, but it kind of is.

I don't generally subscribe to the paradigm of "Manhattan broke vs. Topeka broke".

You could say that someone making $2X in Manhattan but barely making rent is the same as someone making $X in Topeka and barely making rent. But New Yorkers are quick to tell you that NYC is the greatest city in the world. Topeka is Topeka.
WTH? Living where you are able to find work is luxury?
Old 08-05-2019, 12:37 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
But New Yorkers are quick to tell you that NYC is the greatest city in the world. Topeka is Topeka.
I'm over it. NYC's biggest redeeming quality is that I don't have to drive and for someone who is terrified of driving, that's key. It's way too expensive, crowded, dirty, and loud.

I'm not broke because I have zero kids, but by Manhattan standards, I'm not even sure I'm middle class. When I bought my studio apartment co-op, they were hesitant to even approve me because they claimed my salary was too low...for a studio apartment.

haven't read most of this thread yet, so not sure what's been covered.
Spoiler:
Old 08-05-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Full-time nanny, and broke??

I'm truly not trying to pick on anyone in this thread, but I feel like this needs push back.

A family member of mine has custody of two kids and makes in the neighborhood of $20K to $30K a year. She lives in low income housing and her kids go to bad schools. A significant amount of her mental energy is spent on trying to jockey the kids into a decent situation with an adult during the day, or just locking the doors before she leaves and hoping for the best.

That's broke.
President Trump is a white supremacist.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Old 08-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

No, but I am broke because I was a huge dumb dumb with money for years and years. It can be difficult to not let that bother me at times.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:43 PM
CAS

Quote:
But New Yorkers are quick to tell you that NYC is the greatest city in the world. Topeka is Topeka.
Maybe the Topekans say that Topeka is the greatest city in the world. And NYC is NYC.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Howe View Post
WTH? Living where you are able to find work is luxury?
You may want to sit down for this: They have jobs in places that aren't crazy expensive too. Maybe not actuarial jobs, but we're all educated people. I think we could find good work in most major metros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
I'm over it. NYC's biggest redeeming quality is that I don't have to drive and for someone who is terrified of driving, that's key. It's way too expensive, crowded, dirty, and loud.

I'm not broke because I have zero kids, but by Manhattan standards, I'm not even sure I'm middle class. When I bought my studio apartment co-op, they were hesitant to even approve me because they claimed my salary was too low...for a studio apartment.

haven't read most of this thread yet, so not sure what's been covered.
Manhattan standards is a luxury. Maybe it doesn't feel that way to you because your apartment is small, but you live within walking distance of world class everything.
President Trump is a white supremacist.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Old 08-05-2019, 12:52 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
You may want to sit down for this: They have jobs in places that aren't crazy expensive too. Maybe not actuarial jobs, but we're all educated people. I think we could find good work in most major metros.

Manhattan standards is a luxury. Maybe it doesn't feel that way to you because your apartment is small, but you live within walking distance of world class everything.
Try actually thinking for a second. The fact is, there are only so many jobs and a lot of people. Most of the jobs are at high COL places. There is an influx of people going into high COL places. Why? That's where the jobs are. If everybody wanted to live in low COL places, do you think we could all find work? Has it occurred to you that I may have tried and failed?
Old 08-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.

This thread needs a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Old 08-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Non-Actuary

Why do you assume I live in manhattan?
Old 08-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Non-Actuary

Manhattan daycare I would assume would be $3000 plus