Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #101  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:37 PM
Annie Howe's Avatar
Annie Howe Annie Howe is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
Raising children in a high COL area is a luxury. Personally, I'd rather that not be the case, but it kind of is.

I don't generally subscribe to the paradigm of "Manhattan broke vs. Topeka broke".

You could say that someone making $2X in Manhattan but barely making rent is the same as someone making $X in Topeka and barely making rent. But New Yorkers are quick to tell you that NYC is the greatest city in the world. Topeka is Topeka.
WTH? Living where you are able to find work is luxury?
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:37 PM
ao fan's Avatar
ao fan ao fan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hating the ao
Studying for EA-2L
Posts: 110,423
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
But New Yorkers are quick to tell you that NYC is the greatest city in the world. Topeka is Topeka.
I'm over it. NYC's biggest redeeming quality is that I don't have to drive and for someone who is terrified of driving, that's key. It's way too expensive, crowded, dirty, and loud.

I'm not broke because I have zero kids, but by Manhattan standards, I'm not even sure I'm middle class. When I bought my studio apartment co-op, they were hesitant to even approve me because they claimed my salary was too low...for a studio apartment.

haven't read most of this thread yet, so not sure what's been covered.
__________________
Be prepared to be overwhelmed by cuteness!!!!
Spoiler:
awesome, crazy, badass maltese (compliments of booger):
Spoiler:
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:39 PM
redprinceton redprinceton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 24,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Full-time nanny, and broke??


I'm truly not trying to pick on anyone in this thread, but I feel like this needs push back.

A family member of mine has custody of two kids and makes in the neighborhood of $20K to $30K a year. She lives in low income housing and her kids go to bad schools. A significant amount of her mental energy is spent on trying to jockey the kids into a decent situation with an adult during the day, or just locking the doors before she leaves and hoping for the best.

That's broke.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Armchair internet economists are the worst.
President Trump is a white supremacist.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:40 PM
zenkei18 zenkei18 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
College: Angelo State University
Posts: 787
Default

No, but I am broke because I was a huge dumb dumb with money for years and years. It can be difficult to not let that bother me at times.
__________________
P FM MFE C MLC
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Klaymen Klaymen is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
But New Yorkers are quick to tell you that NYC is the greatest city in the world. Topeka is Topeka.
Maybe the Topekans say that Topeka is the greatest city in the world. And NYC is NYC.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:44 PM
redprinceton redprinceton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 24,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Howe View Post
WTH? Living where you are able to find work is luxury?
You may want to sit down for this: They have jobs in places that aren't crazy expensive too. Maybe not actuarial jobs, but we're all educated people. I think we could find good work in most major metros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
I'm over it. NYC's biggest redeeming quality is that I don't have to drive and for someone who is terrified of driving, that's key. It's way too expensive, crowded, dirty, and loud.

I'm not broke because I have zero kids, but by Manhattan standards, I'm not even sure I'm middle class. When I bought my studio apartment co-op, they were hesitant to even approve me because they claimed my salary was too low...for a studio apartment.

haven't read most of this thread yet, so not sure what's been covered.
Manhattan standards is a luxury. Maybe it doesn't feel that way to you because your apartment is small, but you live within walking distance of world class everything.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Armchair internet economists are the worst.
President Trump is a white supremacist.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:52 PM
Annie Howe's Avatar
Annie Howe Annie Howe is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
You may want to sit down for this: They have jobs in places that aren't crazy expensive too. Maybe not actuarial jobs, but we're all educated people. I think we could find good work in most major metros.



Manhattan standards is a luxury. Maybe it doesn't feel that way to you because your apartment is small, but you live within walking distance of world class everything.
Try actually thinking for a second. The fact is, there are only so many jobs and a lot of people. Most of the jobs are at high COL places. There is an influx of people going into high COL places. Why? That's where the jobs are. If everybody wanted to live in low COL places, do you think we could all find work? Has it occurred to you that I may have tried and failed?
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Brock's Avatar
Brock Brock is offline
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Venture Compound
Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.
Posts: 13,443
Default

This thread needs a
__________________
|||||||||||||()Ξ████████████████████████████████)
Thanks, Tom's Alt & mod1!
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Annie Howe's Avatar
Annie Howe Annie Howe is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,268
Default

Why do you assume I live in manhattan?
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Annie Howe's Avatar
Annie Howe Annie Howe is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,268
Default

Manhattan daycare I would assume would be $3000 plus
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.50120 seconds with 9 queries