Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-02-2019, 11:41 AM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for G&H DP-A+FV-A
Favorite beer: Yuengling

I said in another thread that I need a wife, but according to this thread they are really expensive so maybe I'm better off without. The husband I already have is pretty expensive (he makes more than I do, but is a bit less realistic about spending it.)
Old 08-02-2019, 11:41 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Most of them probably don't have more money than you. They just spend more money than you, in visible ways.
Depends on what the friends do. Actuary made #23 on the list, though I think this is partially skewed by the fact that they are all being lumped together while many of the other finance professions listed are exclusively management.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/08/the-...-report--.html
Old 08-02-2019, 11:42 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbug View Post
(note: I actually did buy a car very recently and I have tremendous guilt over it. It's a high-mileage used car, my 2002 Hyundai just wasn't fixable anymore, and I need it to get to work. But I'm still mad at myself for financing it every time I make the payment. )
Don't be mad about financing it, as long as you got a low interest rate, and you're investing rather than spending what would have been the up-front cash to buy it.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 08-02-2019, 11:43 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lit041000 View Post
A poem custom crafted for the pun king

I looked over my budget
To see if I could nudge it
A massive bill labeled wife
I knew I had to cut it

cuts like a wife, but it feels all right
Old 08-02-2019, 11:46 AM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for G&H DP-A+FV-A
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Don't be mad about financing it, as long as you got a low interest rate, and you're investing rather than spending what would have been the up-front cash to buy it.
I didn't have any up-front cash to buy it (see: thread title). But I do think I got a great deal, both on the car itself and on the financing which is 1.99%. My husband keeps talking about how we need to pay it off early and I have to keep reminding him that 1) we will never be able to do that and 2) even if we could it doesn't make sense at that interest rate.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:46 AM
CAS

Quote:
It sometimes feels like every other post around here is "what should I do with my extra $100,000?" and I'm over here baking my own bread trying to save $5 on groceries.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.
tell us about your detailed monthly budget. we can work from there if you want, but this might just be thread, i dunno
Old 08-02-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lit041000 View Post
A poem custom crafted for the pun king

I looked over my budget
To see if I could nudge it
A massive bill labeled wife
I knew I had to cut it
This is so close to being a limerick. Try,

I once looked over my budget
To see where it was I could nudge it
An expense labeled wife
Hungover my life
And that's when I knew I should cut it
President Trump is a white supremacist.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Old 08-02-2019, 11:47 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Nope! I'm broke AF. Single income household, two (sometimes three) kids, multiple pets...
Europe vacation, fancy keyboards...

I'm guessing 90% of actuaries with 20 yrs of experience and an ACAS will be better off than me salary-wise. But that's OK, there isn't a lot of point moaning about it. My skills enable me to do the job i have, but I just didn't have the wherewithal, motivation, or common sense to do better.

To put into perspective, a couple websites suggests my salary and net worth are still higher than 99.9% and 99% of all the other people on this planet, so the simple truth is I have nothing to complain about except first world problems.

My Aspergers kids are not likely to proceed beyond community college, so that's one financial burden lifted - not that I'm thrilled about it. They are frugal and content in front of their computer screens and have little or no desire to spend money, so in the long run I figure they'll manage.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:52 AM

Studying for a field sobriety test
Favorite beer: Grizzly

Quote:
In addition to being broke I'm now furious with myself for the typo in the thread title.
Just shows you're so broke you can't buy a vowel.

Single income because day care costs too much... kids are expensive. I'm in your boat. Because I can't afford to buy my own boat.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:57 AM
CAS

Quote:
This is what blows my mind - nearly all my friends seem to have more money than me, and they are things like teachers and social workers with stay-at-home-spouses. As far as I can tell, they 1) had their parents help a lot with things like college and down payment on a house, and in some cases free child care and 2) didn't lose tons of money in the housing market crash like I did.
I'd be cynical. People like to show their best side, and Facebook just makes it more extreme.