Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 09-11-2019, 03:46 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Bulldog Strong Ale
Default When your obligation starts? And employer ‘s?

In my relatively short experience at work (30’s), my job negotiations were complicated sometimes.
At the renewal, or before signing a contract, I look around for new opportunities. 2 times I was attacked and also offended by my employer / possible employer because I decided to change my mind denying the offer to sign for another company.

My intentions were always clear from the begging of the job negotiation saying that “other companies are interested in me”.
I think that until you sign a contract, you haven’t obligation.

The employer sometimes get mad and say that they thought that I would accept and that I am irresponsible and that I will never work in the industry.

Also, I put myself completely in the interviews when I am interested in a job. Maybe I should be less determined during interviews when I know that I could have other possibile offers? Do you think that sometimes employer exaggerate?

What’s your experience in changing job? Do you think that I am wrong and I should begin a negotiation in a different way?

I know that’s a complex subject to discuss, but it’s also a riddle for me.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:10 PM
CAS

What country are you in? In the US work is really at-will, so there's no contract.

Perhaps because of that I think it's quite reasonable for a person interviewing with a company to act like he's not solely interviewing with that company, I'd certainly strongly recommend anyone interviewing to see to interview in as many places as reasonable while looking until an offer is accepted/signed/etc. On more than one occasion I've been told by a company that it was a done deal only for them to pull the rug out for various reasons.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:51 PM
SOA

If an employer only offers you a short-term contract, then they have no right to be upset if you walk away at the end of that contract. If that's an issue for them, then they should have offered you a longer contract or a permanent position to begin with.

When interviewing, you have no obligation to any company until you sign a contract. There's nothing wrong with you being passionate/excited during the interview process and then later rejecting an offer. There are many reasons why a reasonable person would turn down a job offer ever if they were truly passionate about the position itself.

In my experience, any person that gets angry and tells you that you'll never work in this industry again for turning down an offer is somebody that I wouldn't want to work for. I've had amazing candidates turn down offers from my company, and I know we'd hire them in a heartbeat given the chance.

As long as you're being upfront and honest with potential employers, I don't see any issue with how you're approaching the interviewing/negotiating process.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:56 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

I had a boss once who said they'd never be certain that someone really accepted the job until the "employee" showed up for the first day. A lot can happen between accepting a job and the actual start date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:56 PM
CAS

Studying for Python
Favorite beer: Asahi Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
What country are you in? In the US work is really at-will, so there's no contract.

Perhaps because of that I think it's quite reasonable for a person interviewing with a company to act like he's not solely interviewing with that company, I'd certainly strongly recommend anyone interviewing to see to interview in as many places as reasonable while looking until an offer is accepted/signed/etc. On more than one occasion I've been told by a company that it was a done deal only for them to pull the rug out for various reasons.
how many days/weeks do companies usually give people to think about the offer? I feel like with full time job and other commitments, squeezing in on-site interviews to short time span is difficult and think one might have to pass on the earlier offers with uncertainty that the candidate may not get job offer from subsequent interviews.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:03 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc2142 View Post
how many days/weeks do companies usually give people to think about the offer? I feel like with full time job and other commitments, squeezing in on-site interviews to short time span is difficult and think one might have to pass on the earlier offers with uncertainty that the candidate may not get job offer from subsequent interviews.
It takes a bit of managing. If a company has straight up given you an offer I think you can push it like a week, little bit of delay then mention a potential other offer sort of thing. When I dealt with this somewhat recently it was basically this.. manage the lead up time and then they give an offer on Friday, you get back on Monday say you'll think about it but have another final round interview, then Wednesday respond sort of thing.

It's mainly I wouldn't call off other interviews or stop seeking new interviews merely because you're about to get an offer, basically keep sprinting right through the finish line.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:16 PM
CAS

Studying for Python
Favorite beer: Asahi Draft

Quote:
It takes a bit of managing. If a company has straight up given you an offer I think you can push it like a week, little bit of delay then mention a potential other offer sort of thing. When I dealt with this somewhat recently it was basically this.. manage the lead up time and then they give an offer on Friday, you get back on Monday say you'll think about it but have another final round interview, then Wednesday respond sort of thing.

It's mainly I wouldn't call off other interviews or stop seeking new interviews merely because you're about to get an offer, basically keep sprinting right through the finish line.
sounds like stressful thing to do
Old 09-11-2019, 06:12 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Bulldog Strong Ale

Quote:

Ok, this is why some employer could get mad (in my experience, no US): taking time and then saying you have another offer.

Last edited by Afac_8; 09-11-2019 at 06:33 PM..
Old 09-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

+1 on not changing anything until you have accepted an offer and have something in writing supporting that offer and acceptance.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 09-12-2019, 10:47 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afac_8 View Post
Ok, this is why some employer could get mad (in my experience, no US): taking time and then saying you have another offer.
Humblebrag about getting multiple offers.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

Tags
ethics, etiquette, interview, interview etiquette, job