Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-29-2019, 03:55 PM
CAS

Studying for Nothing
Favorite beer: Not beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
Where does TBE on upper level exams sit?
Not until they get issues ironed out from last time around. I don't expect you'll see it for a few more years at the very earliest.

Quote:
What about offering exams 7 through 9 twice a year?
There was a question on the recent hot topics survey asking if candidates would give up access to exam questions and exam reports in exchange for getting more frequent sittings. Kind of implied that it would allow for a bank of questions to be built to facilitate that. (Why that can't be done with existing questions, IDK.)
Old 10-29-2019, 03:58 PM
CAS

Studying for Nothing
Favorite beer: Not beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Hawaii2019 View Post
wat
quinquennial = every 5 years.

Every 5th one of those, they have a Quarter Quell where the members who participated in creating those surveys have to fight to the death to see who gets to keep private the story of how all those surveys were put together and evaluated.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:02 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post

There was a question on the recent hot topics survey asking if candidates would give up access to exam questions and exam reports in exchange for getting more frequent sittings. Kind of implied that it would allow for a bank of questions to be built to facilitate that. (Why that can't be done with existing questions, IDK.)
Exactly. I would like to know the next steps on that. Waiting a year to take your last exam. Failing it and having to wait another year is emotionally draining and stressful.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah the merger was the big one. ACAS's would have been significantly impacted by the merger and didn't have a say in it.
Yeah, that was the first time I was really bothered by ACAS's not having the vote. Of course, it never actually came to a vote, and the board DID poll ACAS as well as FCAS. So in practice the ACAS did get a say. But still.

Quote:
Exactly. I would like to know the next steps on that. Waiting a year to take your last exam. Failing it and having to wait another year is emotionally draining and stressful.
I actually found it a lot less stressful. I had little kids, and I started studying shortly after my exam. Knowing which exam I would be sitting for next time (whether or not I passed) made it much easier for me to move on, rather than obsessing over the exam I just took. I think I would have felt a lot more stress if they'd all been twice a year.

(Of course, I didn't fail any of the upper exams, either. So that might have impacted my experience.)

But I think the issue is the volunteer effort that would be needed. The CAS is hiring an actuary who will be helping with that stuff, and taking some of the pressure off the exam chairs. That might make it more feasible.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:23 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Yeah, that was the first time I was really bothered by ACAS's not having the vote. Of course, it never actually came to a vote, and the board DID poll ACAS as well as FCAS. So in practice the ACAS did get a say. But still.

I actually found it a lot less stressful. I had little kids, and I started studying shortly after my exam. Knowing which exam I would be sitting for next time (whether or not I passed) made it much easier for me to move on, rather than obsessing over the exam I just took. I think I would have felt a lot more stress if they'd all been twice a year.

(Of course, I didn't fail any of the upper exams, either. So that might have impacted my experience.)

But I think the issue is the volunteer effort that would be needed. The CAS is hiring an actuary who will be helping with that stuff, and taking some of the pressure off the exam chairs. That might make it more feasible.
Thanks for your input. Yes the initial year wasn't stressful waiting to take the test. But this second year after getting a five and forgetting a nice portion of the material has been frustrating. I have four little kids so I am pretty impatient to finish after taking exams for ten years.

I think a lot of students would greatly appreciate it if seven through nine moved to twice a year. I know when five and six were offered twice a year it was a huge relief to many.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:43 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Do you have any details on what the admissions staff actuary will be doing to take "some of the pressure off the exam chairs," Mrs Arnaz?