Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-22-2019, 01:25 PM
SOA

College: FSU
Default Renter's Insurance Fraud

My friend who(m)? worked as a claim adjuster for a big P&C insurer said they got a lot of fraudulent claims. I asked him if they 'pressed charges' against the claimants, and he said 'never'.

Does the insurance company figure it's not worth their time, and the person will likely just choose another insurer, and therefore be their competitor's burden?

Whereas if Wal-Mart catches a shoplifter, they will want to pursue criminal charges in part to keep that person out of their store...

-TotalBro
Old 11-22-2019, 01:34 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBro View Post
My friend who(m)? worked as a claim adjuster for a big P&C insurer said they got a lot of fraudulent claims. I asked him if they 'pressed charges' against the claimants, and he said 'never'.

Does the insurance company figure it's not worth their time, and the person will likely just choose another insurer, and therefore be their competitor's burden?

Whereas if Wal-Mart catches a shoplifter, they will want to pursue criminal charges in part to keep that person out of their store...

-TotalBro
Walmart catches shoplifters in the act. That is the evidence.

It's more difficult when it comes to a fraudulent claim. Say a person claims he got his laptop stolen from his house, and then makes a claim.

You would have to investigate (cost), and this usually >>> cost of laptop replacement.

From the POV of the insurance company, as long as the fraudulent claims are very small (in frequency and severity), its more economical to pay them vs investigating them.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:40 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I've worked in fraud detection. The unit that is responsible for investigations within the claims department is called the Special Investigation Unit (SIU) and might only have a dozen or so people staffing it for a several billion dollar + LOBs.

Small claims tend to be ignored with bigger ones get more attention. Even then, highly suspicious claims with a lot of supporting evidence for fraud rarely make it to trial. What happens is that an investigator will call up the claimant to ask clarifying questions, and once it becomes clear the odds are against them, the claimant will drop the claim before any payments are made and the investigator will move on to the next case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:42 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
The unit that is responsible for investigations within the claims department is called the Special Investigation Unit (SIU)...
...These are their stories.

*Ching Ching*
Old 11-22-2019, 04:53 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBro View Post

-TotalBro
Are you assuming that a "fraudulent" claim is automatically paid?

This isn't necessarily the case. An adjuster has the ability to simply deny a claim and that's the end of the story (unless the claimant disagrees, in which case they can opt to file a lawsuit to press their claim).

I agree with the "friend" that in the overwhelming number of cases of such activities that it's not worth the insurer's time (and potential negative PR) to press criminal charges.

BTW, what line of business is your "friend" a claim adjuster?

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 11-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
BTW, what line of business is your "friend" a claim adjuster?
Thread title suggests he's referring to renter's insurance, which my guess has relatively few large claims.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:06 PM

On the flip side, when i had a backpack full of clothes stolen from my car, Allstate asked so many "clarifying questions" (original price and date purchased of every pair of socks, for instance) that I gave up on the claim in frustration. I assume they patted themselves on the back for preventing fraud. But I've been bitter about it and badmouthing them ever since.

Last edited by Lucy; 11-22-2019 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: swypos
Old 11-22-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
On the flip side, when i had a backpack full of clothes stolen from my car, Allstate asked so many "clarifying questions" (original price and date purchased of every pair of socks, for instance) that i have up on the claim in frustration. I assume they passed themselves on the back for preventing fraud. But I've been bitter about it and badmouthing them ever since.
A different large insurer had my renter's policy some time back. I was living in a high-floor apartment hundreds of feet above the street. I had a flood claim. Loss of use required that they put me up in a "like kind and quality" hotel (not five star, but probably four) for a month. I estimated that they lost almost a thousand years of expected profits on my policy on that claim. Filed the claim and told them where I planned to live --- they approved it, no trouble. They paid for my damaged items also. I've been with them every since even though other companies are cheaper (in so many ways).

Mutual insurers are the only way to go.

"I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."

"I understand health care now especially very well."
Old 11-22-2019, 10:32 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
On the flip side, when i had a backpack full of clothes stolen from my car, Allstate asked so many "clarifying questions" (original price and date purchased of every pair of socks, for instance) that I gave up on the claim in frustration. I assume they patted themselves on the back for preventing fraud. But I've been bitter about it and badmouthing them ever since.
Your ended up as a 1 in the training set. Oof GIGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:35 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
This is done on purpose. Not just to discourage fraud, but to discourage people in general when it comes to making a claim.