Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 02-24-2020, 12:22 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Happy trade day, by the way!

Happy to see Marleau head to the Penguins, so I guess I've got an Eastern Conference team to root for now.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 02-24-2020, 12:25 PM
SOA AAA

I thought this was apt:

“Marleau's the name. The guy you've been trying to follow around for a couple of days."

"I ain't following anybody, doc."

"This jalopy is. Maybe you can't control it. Have it your own way. I'm now going to eat breakfast in the coffee shop across the street: orange juice, bacon and eggs, toast, honey, three or four cups of coffee, and a toothpick. I am then going up to my office, which is on the seventh floor of the building right opposite you. If you have anything that's worrying you beyond endurance, drop up and chew it over. I'll only be oiling my machine gun.”

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 02-24-2020, 12:26 PM
SOA AAA

“The kid poured him another straight rye and I think he doctored it with water down behind the bar because when he came up with it he looked as guilty as if he'd kicked his grandmother.”

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 02-24-2020, 01:18 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
I'm actually on the Pepsi Center's EBUG list here in Denver, although I'm not on the first page of the list (thankfully).

But yes, it's a specialized position, the EBUGs are quite good for amateurs (most played college and/or minor pro previously), and it's a consequence of the salary cap currently in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
And, it's a shitload of equipment to put on. Not something a regular player is used to, nor would he have properly fitted equipment. Not to mention doing splits and butterfly poses and catching a shot puck with your glove. Then, knowing what o do with that puck once you have possession. Etc.

All comes down to hockey being a better sport than basketball, and CS needs to start watching it.
I suppose they could replace the EBUGs with walruses . . .
Old 02-24-2020, 01:19 PM
SOA AAA

Would CS watch that?

Asking for a friend.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:11 PM
CAS

Studying for Nothing
Favorite beer: Not beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Happy trade day, by the way!

Happy to see Marleau head to the Penguins, so I guess I've got an Eastern Conference team to root for now.
I thought that a 3rd (could be a 2nd if the Pens win the Cup) was way too much. 6th was more accurate, maybe a 5th. Marleau adds .... what, veteran leadership? The Pens have Letang / Crosby / Malkin who've been around for 3 Cup wins, and then Hornqvist, Schultz, Murray, Rust, Dumoulin, et. al. who've been around for 2; do they really need a 40-year old Marleau whose big postseason accomplishment is "lost to the Pens in '16" to teach them anything? Maybe if you want someone for depth on the 4th line, fine. Otherwise, I didn't see the point of this move.

At least Pittsburgh wasn't Tampa who spent both of the 1st-round picks they had on Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow. Don't care if they got a 3rd back with Goodrow; that was wasteful spending by the Bolts, who really didn't impress me with moves that felt much more like "we're going to acquire bodies that have NHL experience and would struggle to crack the lineup even if we took out our top forward line and top defensive pairing."
Old 02-25-2020, 09:55 AM
CAS

Studying for Nothing

My diagnosis of this year's trade deadline winners / losers (of course subject to change as the playoffs go on and future events unfold after that):

Winners - New Jersey (unloaded much of what they could, now fully committed to Rebuild v3), Ottawa (same, except Eugene Melnyk is still the owner), Vegas (now with 2 real goalies and I think the pickup of Cousins is underrated), NY Rangers (keeping Kreider was a great move; Skjei for a 1st was smart; dinging them for keeping the 3-headed goalie situation, though), Calgary (filled a couple holes at what may very well be no cost, unless Edmonton parks James Neal to keep him from getting to 21 goals this season).

Losers - Edmonton (added guys known for being good offensively and crap defensively - which fits Edmonton's "can never have enough offense, any defense is too much defense" mindset perfectly and I'm sure won't be a problem in the playoffs), Buffalo (I have no idea what Jason Botterill was doing here - but that's OK, I'm pretty sure Botterill had no clue what he was doing either), Toronto (the Leafs are a mess and Dubas did nothing of consequence other than pick up part of Lehner's cap hit to facilitate a trade), Tampa (noted above).

TBD - Colorado (thought they needed a goalie, not sure Namestnikov is the solution), NY Islanders (potentially huge cost for getting Pageau, we'll get part of the idea this postseason and the rest in a few years).
Old 02-25-2020, 10:43 AM
CAS Non-Actuary

College: Ball State Alumni
Favorite beer: Root or Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
All comes down to hockey being a better sport than basketball, and CS needs to start watching it.
Definitely true. Although, most sports are better than whatever that thing the NBA calls basketball is.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:43 AM
CAS

Studying for Nothing

Adding a team to the trade deadline losers list: Florida. They're close to a playoff spot (because the Atlantic after Boston and Tampa Bay sucks and someone has to finish 3rd there and get a playoff spot), but apparently the Trocheck trade was more Quenneville deciding "I don't like him, so he has to go" and part Quenneville "I'm shaking up this team to send a message, anyone who doesn't get it will get shipped out this offseason too."

Also, the Panthers go into the losers category because this was a quasi-cost cutting move ... after they gave Bobrovsky $70 million over 7 years to be worse than most #2 goalies around the league.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:00 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

I was super excited to see Pageau move to the Islanders (kind of hoping the Avs would grab him because we need that exact thing), but you're right about the price.

Thought the Avs might get a goalie but I've been in love with Frankie ever since his Plzen days. I think he can carry a team if need be.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).