Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-17-2019, 10:42 AM
CAS

Default 2019-2020 NHL Hockey Thread

frist post
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 06-17-2019, 10:46 AM
CAS

Flyers trade Gudas(and retain some of his salary) to the Caps for Niskanen. Looks like they wanted a veteran D-man not named Gudas or AMac with all the younger guys.

Also, they bought out Andy MacDonald's contract. Good move.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 06-17-2019, 11:11 AM
SOA

Yeah, initial reaction with the Gudas for Niskanen trade was basically, "Really? Gudas!?" I basically think of Gudas as a goon, but apparently his underlying stats aren't too bad.

I've come around on it since my initial reaction. This clarifies our D corps and saves a significant amount of money for this year and next. For the Flyers you basically have to be betting that Niskanen's bad year in 2018/19 was more a blip than a full blown decline. He certainly isn't worth his contract $ right now and the fact that the Flyers retained money on Gudas salary is surprising.

Caps GM MacLellan is extremely direct and fast acting on his actions once he forms his idea of what the team needs. Doesn't shy away from bold moves whatsoever. Several years ago he made the huge splash of getting both Niskanen and Orpik in FA. Went after Eller when we needed a solid 3 C. Has added to the D corps near free agency the last 2 years by finding disgruntled players or players that don't fit with some orgs (Hawks - Kempney, Jensen - Red Wings) and turned both into multiyear extensions where both will be in the top 4 over the next couple years now.

With that background in place, the Niskanen for Gudas move makes sense in light of the secondary move which was re-signing UFA Hagelin to a 4 year deal for 11m with the saved cap room. I guess the Capitals saw him has a really good fit. He certainly is good on the PK, but I didn't see him generating much offense so I'm a little surprised by the contract.

Caps D core for next season:
Kempney - Carlson
Orlov - Jensen
young guy TBD - Gudas
Old 06-17-2019, 11:25 AM
CAS

Gudas isn't horrible when he's not making stupid suspendable decisions. He's definitely less goony than he was a few years ago, but expect him to miss a few games due to a suspension. He hits hard and blocks shots.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-17-2019, 01:06 PM
CAS

Studying for Nothing
Favorite beer: Not beer

The St. Louis Blues will enter the season as the reigning Stanley Cup champions.

[And yes, that still looks so weird to see and know that it's really true.]
Old 06-17-2019, 01:38 PM
SOA AAA

You should try to get yourself to the banner-raising ceremony (usually) at the first home game.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 06-17-2019, 01:44 PM
CAS

Studying for Nothing

OK, on to other 2019-20 stuff.

San Jose. Erik Karlsson. 8 years, $88+ million. If they don't win the Cup at some point, I don't know how Doug Wilson keeps his job. [Said after I wondered how after the 2014-15 season Wilson kept his job.]
Old 06-17-2019, 01:47 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
OK, on to other 2019-20 stuff.

San Jose. Erik Karlsson. 8 years, $88+ million. If they don't win the Cup at some point, I don't know how Doug Wilson keeps his job. [Said after I wondered how after the 2014-15 season Wilson kept his job.]
Oooooo weeeeeee. That is a monster contract. As good as Karlsson is when healthy, groin injuries seem to really stick around and take a step out of hockey players. As a Caps fan, Brooks Laich is the main example I have to point to. San Jose would know better than anyone else what his injury risk is going forward, but man I'd be terrified of that contract going south. I'm not sure of the Sharks' depth, but feel like they will have to undergo a significant retool soon with some aging key pieces.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:50 PM
CAS

Studying for Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
You should try to get yourself to the banner-raising ceremony (usually) at the first home game.
Not sure how easily I'll be able to swing it; that would be a 7 hour trip, one-way and there's a good chance that's during the week and would solidly wipe out 2 days of exam study. I might try to buy two tickets [about 0.0001% chance I'm on line at the instant they're available and get the purchase made] and then sell them off for a small ransom, though.

I made the parade this past weekend. Wasn't on the main stretch, but got to watch stuff behind the scenes; that was even better IMO. Tons of pictures, several good stories I'll be able to tell. I'm pretty sure Brett Hull's BAC was measurable in percent, not fractions of a percent.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:30 AM
CAS

Studying for Nothing

Cap reportedly around $82 million. Anguish from a number of GMs. No sympathy from me.

Corey Perry gets bought out by the Ducks. Does he find a landing spot somewhere, or is this the end of the road for him?