Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 07-30-2019, 03:44 PM
SOA

Default Funny things about your pets

Animals crack me up. They can have a lot of personality. So I thought this might be a fun topic for folks to share their experience, whether with current or former pets.

Our dog is a golden retriever. They're a very sweet and intelligent breed. We've trained ours to open the door to let herself back in, and to close it behind her! Unfortunately, she often won't close the door without the promise of a treat. But it's still pretty cool.

Funny thing about her: she's strangely selective about what scares her. She has the typical dog fear of vacuums. But she runs when people scoot chairs, even from relatively far away. Meanwhile, severe thunderstorms and fireworks right outside our home don't seem to affect her in the least.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:56 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

My wife bought 2 chihuahua mixes into the marriage.

The one that's part dachshund is very protective of her, to the point where he will growl and nip at me when I kiss her goodbye before going to work. He'll even escape a belly rub to "guard" her.

The other one (part Boston terrier, we think) is more loving. Often when my wife and I snuggle he'll get up and sit near our heads, licking our faces if we don't give him attention. At that point he expects us to pet him for a few minutes; once he's had enough he'll slip under the covers and lie between my legs, though can't always decide which direction he wants to do this.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:17 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Cold and lots of it

I enjoy teaching my cats to play. My last cat played fetch. I would throw a string from the tie on sweats and the cat would tear after it and grab it and carry it back, walking bow legged so he didn't step on the string. Or he would do the same with a ball, holding it in his mouth and mewing while he walked it back.

Our current cat plays freeze tag or peekaboo. If she is standing somewhere, I can hide behind a wall or door and peek out at her. She will freeze, completely, and then lean to try and look but anytime I peek out, she doesn't move. Depending how frisky she is feeling, she will stay frozen for a couple minutes, then when I peek, she will have creeped closer and yet still not be moving when I am looking. She does this until she is right next to me and then when I look around the corner she will jump up and hug/rabbit kick the door jam and then tear off. If she is more frisky, she won't make it that long and just come attack the door jam quickly after I start.

Officially assigned the role of Dictator, 9/30/09. Bow to my whims.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:17 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Our youngest cat (Siamese) has decided that he only likes to sit with you on the couch if your legs are covered in a comfy blanket. If you are sitting (reclined, usually) and do not have a blanket covering your legs he will either stand on top of the nearest folded up blanket and meow at you while he kneads it, or if there is no folded up blanket he will get on top of the headrest and push your head with his paw until you get up and go get one.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:49 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Our dog is a golden retriever......She has the typical dog fear of vacuums...severe thunderstorms and fireworks right outside our home don't seem to affect her in the least.
We, too, have a GR. Our previous dog was a sheltie who would bark & bark & bark at thunderstorms & fireworks. It was such a relief when I realized that he didn't bark at those things...he barks at everything else, but not those things at least.

The GR belches & sighs like a human. The belching is great because then I can just blame the dog. The sighing...one night my wife & I were in bed, dog at the foot of the bed, he heard a noise outside that he was obligated to go check out, so he let out a big sigh & then trotted off to the living room to see what it was. He also does a great impression of chewbaca.

The CDC recommends watching the Rock Paper Scissors tournament from a distance of at least six posts.

Sheep Dog Dare Game Champion
Old 07-30-2019, 05:03 PM

Favorite beer: BBC Bourbon Stout

Our first dog, Mandy, was a big but super-gentle dog. But certain inanimate things would make the fur on her back go up, and she would bark like mad. She did it to a pig statue (by a barbecue place), a snowman, and these native American dolls that my MIL brought home from Gatlinburg, TN. The last one was pretty funny but also a little spooky. Her hair stood up and she started growling as soon as she went through my in-laws front door...before she could even see the dolls! But the barked at them as she backed away. Spirit dolls, IMO.

Albus, a German Shepherd mix, came years later. Hot air balloons were his nemesis. He chewed the top off of a few pickets on our picket fence within a minute or two when one hot air balloon got a little too close. He also bit at the vacuum cleaner a lot. He was just a generally funny dog, lots of entertainment value.

Wasn't a cat owner until about five years ago and now have too many. All the cats are funny in their own way. The places they lie down to nap is funny a lot of times. We've found them sleeping on tops of fridges, in between an X-box and cable box in the small section of an TV stand, on laptops (too many times). And don't try to play a board game without one of them getting in the middle of it.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:33 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Petosky View Post
Wasn't a cat owner until about five years ago and now have too many. All the cats are funny in their own way. The places they lie down to nap is funny a lot of times. We've found them sleeping on tops of fridges, in between an X-box and cable box in the small section of an TV stand, on laptops (too many times). And don't try to play a board game without one of them getting in the middle of it.
Yes, cats are silly. Ours absolutely loved empty boxes. They viewed place mats on the dining room table as an open invitation to lie down there...basically, anytime something flat was placed somewhere that was otherwise open space, they'd say, "This looks like a good place to lie down for a while."

The CDC recommends watching the Rock Paper Scissors tournament from a distance of at least six posts.

Sheep Dog Dare Game Champion
Old 07-30-2019, 06:01 PM
SOA

Studying for golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abused Student View Post
Our current cat plays freeze tag or peekaboo. If she is standing somewhere, I can hide behind a wall or door and peek out at her. She will freeze, completely, and then lean to try and look but anytime I peek out, she doesn't move. Depending how frisky she is feeling, she will stay frozen for a couple minutes, then when I peek, she will have creeped closer and yet still not be moving when I am looking. She does this until she is right next to me and then when I look around the corner she will jump up and hug/rabbit kick the door jam and then tear off. If she is more frisky, she won't make it that long and just come attack the door jam quickly after I start.
With Doctor Who commentary: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JJT39M8Y2F8
Old 07-30-2019, 07:32 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

We have two dogs -- a male Brittany (50 pounds) and a female Boykin Spaniel (25 pounds).

The Brittany is not an alpha, but he's not shy either. He's outgoing and friendly with other dogs. But the Boykin is timid and shy around other dogs. But when it's just the two of them, she's in charge, and he is afraid of her.

Even if they are both in their separate crates and we give them a treat, he will drop his if she looks at him. If they're in the pen together, he just looks at us sadly when we give treats, because he knows she won't let him have his!

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:52 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Cold and lots of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical Neuroticism View Post
With Doctor Who commentary: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JJT39M8Y2F8
That is exactly what she does, except instead of just staring at me the last time, she would give what I can only describe as a closed mouth meow and jump up, hug the curtain or whatever the black thing was and kick it with her back legs a couple times and then take off.

Officially assigned the role of Dictator, 9/30/09. Bow to my whims.