Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 5 - Ratemaking/Reserving
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 10-16-2019, 09:30 AM
CAS

Studying for 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsir View Post
Can someone explain the "schedule" of grading this exam? For multiple choice exams, we could get our tests mailed to us, and compare it to a PAK within a few days. Plus, you can put your answers in your calculator to have until your envelope arrives. Here, I don't think there's any smart way to get most of the answers saved in a calculator. I don't know if you can have the questions mailed to you (?) but I assume that either way you won't have copies of all your answers there. And I don't know how long it takes to get an answer key from CAS. How does all this work?
You can only get the exam booklet back so some people write their answers down to calculation questions next to them to see if they got it correct later on. Will still leave a lot to speculation unlike mas1 where you can be pretty certain based on the multiple choice answers you save.

The CAS solutions take a long time to get released (cas website says "posted April 30, 2019" but i'm pretty confident that was when the exam itself was posted, not the actual solutions.) but TIA has their own solutions quickly after the exam is released.

I looked at the solutions and regretted it. I knew I was borderline so it really stressed me out, would not recommend.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:30 PM
CAS

Do you guys think graders would have a problem with using weighted avg LDFs for all the LDF calculations (unless specified otherwise or specifically asked to justify selections)? I saw this done in a sample solution, and it seems much faster, since you don't have to write out the whole triangle, you only need to do 3 or 4 calculations instead of 8 or 13, and you don't need to make decisions at the end.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:51 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcd90 View Post
Do you guys think graders would have a problem with using weighted avg LDFs for all the LDF calculations (unless specified otherwise or specifically asked to justify selections)? I saw this done in a sample solution, and it seems much faster, since you don't have to write out the whole triangle, you only need to do 3 or 4 calculations instead of 8 or 13, and you don't need to make decisions at the end.
Eh, may still have to justify your selection. If there's a deliberate outlier you might not notice unless you actually do the calculations first. If you're one of those 'do it in your head types' and can ensure that's not the case up front by eyeballing, then by all means go ahead. Just be sure to state you've taken the weighted average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
You can still spit in my mouth.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:18 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcd90 View Post
If it wasn't given to you, there's generally about a quarter-point worth of credit earned from constructing the age-to-age factor triangle. Skipping that step may be leaving that quarter-point on the table.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:19 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullered View Post
You can only get the exam booklet back so some people write their answers down to calculation questions next to them to see if they got it correct later on. Will still leave a lot to speculation unlike mas1 where you can be pretty certain based on the multiple choice answers you save.

The CAS solutions take a long time to get released (cas website says "posted April 30, 2019" but i'm pretty confident that was when the exam itself was posted, not the actual solutions.) but TIA has their own solutions quickly after the exam is released.

I looked at the solutions and regretted it. I knew I was borderline so it really stressed me out, would not recommend.
You should note that the solutions published in the examiner's report are actual candidate solutions that (almost always) received full credit. They are selected by the graders during the grading process, and so won't be available until the grading process is complete.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:29 PM
CAS

Studying for 6
Favorite beer: IPAs

This thread seems dead for only being a week out. How's everyone feeling?
Old 10-21-2019, 05:56 PM
CAS

College: Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuarialAlpha View Post
This thread seems dead for only being a week out. How's everyone feeling?
Very stressed but at this point for second sitting, just want it to be over with and get my life back.

Quertion:- Is it worth understanding/spending time on count based ULAE techniques if know Dollar based techniques (semi-well) ?
Old 10-22-2019, 04:49 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5
College: FSU Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav View Post
Very stressed but at this point for second sitting, just want it to be over with and get my life back.

Quertion:- Is it worth understanding/spending time on count based ULAE techniques if know Dollar based techniques (semi-well) ?

Yes because you donít know what method they may thrown on there. It could be C-N method and they want unpaid ULAE calculate using expected, B-F, and development approaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-23-2019, 07:39 PM
CAS

Studying for Exams yo

was an answer key uploaded for the spring 2018 exam? I just went thru it as practice and realized the examiners report is total crap for checking myself
Old 10-23-2019, 08:32 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellomynameis View Post
was an answer key uploaded for the spring 2018 exam? I just went thru it as practice and realized the examiners report is total crap for checking myself
Huh? The examiners report is one of the best resources available for the uppers.