Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Website Ideas - Comments > Announcements
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:32 PM

Default Helpful hints for New Members: Reporting a Thread/Post

Hello! It's been a while since the old FAQ has been updated. OK, it's been a really long time. In the past few weeks, we mods have been encountering some common issues, and want to give you all some tips/tricks/reminders about some of these. This thread welcomes serious additions to the list. Jokey additions will be deleted. Serious additions will be added to this first post. Here we go!

Please, please, please, figure out the correct forum to place your new thread. "General Actuarial", even though it's listed first, is the last resort section. Make sure your question/thought/comment does not belong anywhere else, then start your thread in GenAct.

Parody threads belong in the reef. Always. The password is "reef". It's behind a password because some of the discussion there can be a bit more off color than some would like to see in the workplace.

If you start a thread in the wrong place, and you want it moved, you should report the post, and in the "Message" box, type "Please move to XXX". And apologize profusely, and we'll move it. If you see a thread started in the wrong place, report the first post and let us know where it should be.

Reporting a post: Say someone posts something inappropriate - say a nonprofessional post in a professional area, or something blatantly racist/homophobic/etc. On every post, there's an icon of a red triangle with an exclamation point in it. Click on that icon. You'll get a screen with a box marked "Message:". Type your reason for reporting the post in that box. This sends the mods a link to the offensive post, and your reason why you're reporting it. The mods will review the post, in the context of the thread, and act accordingly. Possible actions are: deleting the post, editing the post, giving the poster an infraction/warning, or nothing. Do not expect the mods to tell you what action we took.

Do you have a question about moderation or the board in general? Send a PM to a Mod. Keep in mind that most of us do not remain in our Mod costumes all the time, so we may not see your PM for a day or 3. If it's urgent and related to a post, report the post.

Who are the mods? We are volunteers. Some are "limited power" mods, who moderate under their own ids. For example, twig93 in Political, Westley in Careers. They have the power to edit a post, but not to give infractions. Some are "Full Mods" who moderate under a Mod id (like me, Moderator37). We can view all reports, give infractions (points), ban posters (temp or perma). Tom is our overlord, and he alone can reverse mod actions, if warranted.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Under the limited power mods: you might add that they can be readily identified in the "lower right hand box" (oddly enough, labeled "Moderators") on a given forum.

Might also point out that "professional" behavior expected throughout the Outpost with more relaxed standards applied to NAT and egregiously relaxed standards for Political (and none for the Reef ).

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 06-19-2019, 05:29 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
Under the limited power mods: you might add that they can be readily identified in the "lower right hand box" (oddly enough, labeled "Moderators") on a given forum.

Might also point out that "professional" behavior expected throughout the Outpost with more relaxed standards applied to NAT and egregiously relaxed standards for Political (and none for the Reef ).
the standards are not egregiously relaxed in political. that part should be left out.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:10 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia Petrillo View Post
the standards are not egregiously relaxed in political. that part should be left out.
That adjective was intended to be in red font; but I ran out of red ink.

Thanks for the info,
The quick site mods on here are very impressive
Old 06-19-2019, 06:13 PM
SOA

If "General Actuarial" is the last resort section, why not move it down from it's first slot rather than have this instruction not to use it that newbies are pretty unlikely to read before they use it anyway?
Old 06-24-2019, 12:58 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator37 View Post
If you start a thread in the wrong place, and you want it moved...
...you can use the "Thread Tools"/"Moderation Tools" to move it yourself.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1695814 View Post
...you can use the "Thread Tools"/"Moderation Tools" to move it yourself.
i like it when regular posters know more than the mods do.

also be sure to click the option to "leave no redirect" cause redirects just take up space.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:20 PM

Depending on the thread, I often like to leave a short redirect, so other posters know what happened. Like, a couple of hours or a day.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:27 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Depending on the thread, I often like to leave a short redirect, so other posters know what happened. Like, a couple of hours or a day.
Yes true. I more meant if you're moving it immediately because you realized it's in the wrong section. I think the default is a permanent redirect which seems unlikely to be something you want.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia Petrillo View Post
Yes true. I more meant if you're moving it immediately because you realized it's in the wrong section. I think the default is a permanent redirect which seems unlikely to be something you want.
I agree. Both that "permanent redirect" (or at least a long redirect) is the default, and that it's almost never what you want to do. Maybe never. Long redirects are silly and clutter the fora.