Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

View Poll Results: Should FL allow SYG defense when a teacher shoots a student in class?
Yes, the teachers classroom is their terrority, follow orders or be shot 5 27.78%
Yes, but in very specific situations 1 5.56%
Maybe, let's wait to see how this plays out 0 0%
No, this is crazy 8 44.44%
I'll share my own answer 2 11.11%
42 Guns for everyone, pew pew pew 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2019, 04:42 PM

Default Shuld FL teachers b allowed use of "Stand Your Ground" defense after shooting a child

poll
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/02/u...-teachers.html
Quote:
Florida to Let Teachers Carry Guns. Will Black Students Pay the Price?
A memorial garden to honor victims at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.
Credit
Saul Martinez for The New York Times

A memorial garden to honor victims at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.CreditCreditSaul Martinez for The New York Times
By Patricia Mazzei
May 2, 2019

MIAMI — The outcome of the vote in the Florida State House this week was a foregone conclusion: A proposal to allow teachers to carry firearms in school would easily win approval.

But that did not mean the debate would not be long and emotional, as Democrats implored Republicans in the majority to consider the possible risks — one of them being teachers with guns who might represent yet another source of risk for black and Latino students.

The tension peaked when Representative Shevrin D. Jones, a Democrat who is African-American, tried unsuccessfully to pass a pair of amendments on the House floor on Tuesday aimed at protecting children from the possibility that an armed teacher in a chaotic situation could assume that a black student was a threat.

One amendment would have required any teacher who volunteers for the so-called school guardian program to be trained in implicit bias, or stereotypes that could unconsciously affect spur-of-the-moment decisions. The other would have prohibited a teacher who shoots a student by mistake in a situation with an active shooter on campus from claiming self-defense under Florida’s Stand Your Ground law.
Scary stuff imo

Last edited by The Right; 05-06-2019 at 04:46 PM..
Old 05-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

I think a far better question (as a starting point) is "what qualifications and training should an individual have and demonstrate to be allowed having a firearm on school premises?".

I do not believe that the FL legislation is going to be useful nor helpful in deterrence of violence on school property. Most people are not going to have the ability to go from "edu-ma-cating the peeps" to "lock-down protection mode against the baddie" in the time available when the threat is present.

What is more is the false sense of "ability" that some will have from their "expertise" with games like Call of Duty and World of Warfare that will not translate to RL.

Very few will have the presence of mind of Agent J when making spot decisions on where and when to shoot.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 05-22-2019, 04:20 PM

Studying for plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
I think a far better question (as a starting point) is "what qualifications and training should an individual have and demonstrate to be allowed having a firearm on school premises?".

I do not believe that the FL legislation is going to be useful nor helpful in deterrence of violence on school property. Most people are not going to have the ability to go from "edu-ma-cating the peeps" to "lock-down protection mode against the baddie" in the time available when the threat is present.

What is more is the false sense of "ability" that some will have from their "expertise" with games like Call of Duty and World of Warfare that will not translate to RL.

Very few will have the presence of mind of Agent J when making spot decisions on where and when to shoot.

shoot the child, she's the only thing out of place in the pic
Old 05-23-2019, 10:11 AM
SOA

I guess glassy's poll didn't work. Too bad.