Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 09-05-2019, 11:05 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
I've seen gaming tables before (although I don't know if they're this brand) and they are really cool. I'll have to check out these.
link to their site

There are frequent sales and deals, so if you get one, never pay full price.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:55 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!

Ran first half of box 3 over the weekend. Basically a 14 hour stroll through the Greyhaven Sewers to where the ruins of an old building is. The rest of box 3 is beating that building, including finding the secret within.

I did better at DM'ing the sewer run, because I realized that it's okay if nothing happens once in a while. Basically for every hour you're supposed to roll for an encounter, with about 25% chance of an encounter. We had 5 in 14 hours, so a little high, but purely RNG-based. When I did the first box, I upped the odds of an encounter so I could use ALL the content, but in retrospect, it just drug out the less interesting part of the campaign. So I used the suggested odds this time, and it seemed to flow better.

We played for about 4-4.5 hours, so having 5 encounters in that time felt about right. The good thing was there were mini "events" that happened whenever I rolled each hour, so even if there wasn't an encounter, there was stuff happening.

Still not fully comfortable DM'ing, but this session was the first one where the guy who DM's the other campaign I'm doing wasn't there, so I had no safety net, and it wasn't as bad as I thought!

Old 09-21-2019, 11:36 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!

Running DIB again tomorrow, with a little luck we'll finish the third box, but that might be pushing it.

I bought this cool lockbox so I'm gonna work that in. There's a spot with a code to solve, so instead of the code opening the door, I'll have it open the lockbox and inside will be the key to the door.

My son has a 3D printer that we still have to finish setting up, but I've been seeing a lot of people online that 3D print their minis instead of buying them. I think Heroforge is one source, but I'm sure there are others, so I'm gonna give that a go, too. That way I can customize the minis instead of using whatever the game store has in stock.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:38 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!

The lockbox was a big hit! But at $80, I'm gonna use it so much to get my money's worth that they will probably get sick of it eventually!

Finished box 3 and found the Orb of Dragon Souls. I haven't read far enough ahead to see what they're about to get into, but I need to do that after I write up yesterday's session.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:22 AM

Favorite beer: Yes, Please

I recently re-bought the Gold Box games and finally beat the final battle in Pools of Darkness (23 years? after giving up) without hex-editing. Now in the second DragonLance game.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:30 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
Ok, so fun day today, but I have a question. They defeated a bunch of monsters, but they also encountered the Duke of Greyhaven, and he summoned his Stone Golem. The Golem carried him to safety when he was low on health, because I need him later in the campaign.

I would typically award XP for a monster that flees, but this is an NPC and construct he summoned, not a monster, and they are likely to encounter him again. So, I'm not planning to award XP. Is this a reasonable decision? They are still earning about 1600 XP each for the session for the other monsters they defeated, not that that matters.
I haven't gamed in a long time, and I've almost never DMed.

But I wanted to answer: D&D is not about killing monsters for $ and XP. It should be about adventuring. Monster XP should just be a vague notion of how hard a monster is to kill. But IMO, you should get similar rewards for (for example) talking your way out of a battle.

Besides just sort being out of the spirit of Role Playing, battles are often really boring. They usually take too long to complete, and I'd always rather have story, problem solving, character development, personal decisions, etc.

Of course, as DM, that stuff is harder to provide, but to the extent that you can make the game about other things, you should reward it.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:34 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Speaking of, I recently tried Gloomhaven and do not recommend... as it's nothing but D&D boiled down to monster killing.

Also recently learned the rules to Maid, which is D&D boiled down to mildly inappropriate anime flirts?

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 10-05-2019 at 03:39 PM..
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!

Anyone else gonna try the new Wendy's RPG Feast of Legends

I'm gonna do a one-off with my kids.

The 30 second version is that it's a D&D-like RPG set in a world called "Freshtovia" and you have to defeat the "Ice Jester". Inside jokes about McDonalds and BK abound.