Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 09-17-2019, 02:33 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Done. If I understand the provisional results (number of tables) then 3 people have finished, with 1 more just started. That's because all boards show that there are now at least 3 tables, with the first 2 or 3 having 4 tables.

On the bright side, I'm plus 4.2 imps on what seems to be a swingy set. 7 results where I'm + or - at least 5 imps. One result really annoys me, but who knows what to expect from a bot. Misplayed 1 hand and it cost.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:44 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
I still can't find any provisional scores update for me.

I challenged another star. Won by 2 imps over 8 boards against Guiseppe. Sounds tame, but wasn't at all. 8 boards, 32-30. The smallest swing was 3 imps, on a hand passed out at my table.

Some bidding by Guiseppe normal enough, but not all. (and quite possibly you'll think none of his actions on the following hand were normal).
S-AKQJxxx H-x D-Q10x C-xx

He deals, both vul, imps. PM me your top 3 choices for his action. [If you want to indicate actions you think are best, and also guess as do what he did since it surprised me, that's cool.] I'll PM you back his action and the situation he faced on the next round. Both actions seem odd to me, and if I posted the second decision you would know what his initial action was.

Maybe this is why he's a star and we aren't (I'll be amazed if any of you match both his calls.)
Only oirg guessed at Guiseppe's actions, and he wasn't right.

Guiseppe opened 1NT, not 1S (or more spades). His LHO overcalled 2H (Cappelletti; hearts and a minor), P, P, to him. His second call: 2NT, passed out. After my 1S opening bid, opps bid easily to 4H making.

I asked BBO support about the source of the star's matches and bidding. Here's the exchange
Quote:
I am baffled. Where do the Stars results in challenges against stars come from?

In particular, are these boards they already played, with robots, in preparation for being challenged?

My questions arise because I am seeing some EXTREMELY odd actions for people ostensibly playing imps with a bot partner. Admittedly the bots can't get upset at the star's gross violation of system, but still.

Case in point: deal #7 of a match I played yesterday. The star turned out to be Guiseppe. Board 7, both vul. He's in first seat with
S-AKQJxxx H-x D-Q10x C-xx

It's really hard to conceive of opening anything except 1S, 3S or 4S. He opened 1NT. Very very odd.

Next hand overcalls 2H. His partner and his RHO both pass. His call? 2NT

If he wants to bid that way, OK, and he did win imps on the board, but I'm really curious about the conditions he was playing under.

Thanks, Steve
Here's the response, which didn't address the conditions, just a comment on why he might bid that way
Quote:
Playing with robot some people train to play art bridge and check their
thoughts not risking to offend partner as he is a robot. Normally being a star
they do not care much about result but would be happy to test their
imagination. I will try to explain the thoughts of this person (as i am also a
star).
He has only 12 points and ops pass at second level on a part score. So we can
expect our partner to have some points and some hearts as he does not react.Yes
we have olny 12 points ,but 7 cold tricks. we lie the robot for our points ,but
even if he bids 3 nt with not enough points all we need to find there is
singleton spade and 2 tricks. Seems possible. nd if disaster comes robot is not
a partner that will be unhappy when art bid does not work!

best regards
Boyan BBO CS
Old 09-17-2019, 06:48 PM
CAS

Studying for this space for rent

With 4/5 tables reported, I was able to redeem my terrible result with a rather good one.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:18 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

BBO (on my phone) can really bog down in the evening. In the first three matches, I decided to plug on anyway, multitasking by watching TV and coming back to the play every 60 seconds or so. Take my advice and don't do this. I was -30 IMPs in all three matches.
Now, if BBO lags, I just come back to it at another time.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:59 AM
CAS

Studying for this space for rent

Challenge expires 10pm tonight, somebody isn't done yet...

Old 09-19-2019, 01:32 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
Challenge expires 10pm tonight, somebody isn't done yet...
No way for me to tell (unless the challenge expires incomplete), but from his post above probably Numbers Nerd, at least.

Question: Do some people want to try to play more frequently? I have a second BBO Id, so I could for example reissue 5-way challenges each time one is complete, and also issue a 4-way challenge to every one except NN as well, or also issue a 3-way if someone else preferred a slower pace.

I think Iím limited (as host) to one active group challenge per BBO Id, but I could also issue 2-way challenges. The limit on those is supposed to be 10 active 2-way challenges, might have to be 10 different opponents. I ran into some problems where I couldnīt issue challenges even though I was under the limits, but can try again for whatever someone is interested in.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:41 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Itís a route for Klaymen (the AO Klaymen, not the BBO Klaymen). +40 25 imps; everyone else negative.

No new group challenge issued. Maybe someone else can, or perhaps iíll Be able to create one tomorrow.

Also, see my post above this one,and post in this thread if you want me to try to do some less-than5 challenges at the same time as 5-way
Old 09-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Group challenge issued, via a laptop in the public library. Not at home yesterday or today, and can't issue a group challenge from a tablet.

See my post two above this one,and post in this thread if you want me to try to do some less-than5 challenges at the same time as 5-way
Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

5-way challenge complete for me. Provisionally +18 after only 2 plays for each board.

Also issued a 2-way challenge to Klaymen, and thatís complete for me. Should have been bad news for me. Missclick should have cost a cold nonvul game, but then bots had a 0% defense (OTOH, I couldnít have had the hand I held and played that way.) Then a doubtful bidding decision cost, and a reasonable misguess could have cost. One successful bidding decision that Klaymen might not match.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:53 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I won the 2-say against Klaymen with major help from the bots.

Bots are playing a grand on this bidding (opps silent)

1N - 4H (Texas)
4S - 5C*
5D* - 6C*
6D* - 6S
7S

* cue bid

Declarer S-J10x. H-AK. D-AKQ. C-107543

Dummy S-AK9863. H-Q92. D-void. C-AKJ8

Terrible bidding, IMO, but no bidding will be clear cut to 6C, 6S, 7C or 7S.

How do you play on a small spade lead? On a small diamond lead? On a small club lead? On the club Q lead?
Spoiler:
I actually led a small diamond. Bot declarer played for spades 2-2 and went down. Klaymen led the club Q, and declarer player for the trump finesse. 20 imps to me, because Iím a better opening leader, I suppose.

The interesting thing is that if we had followed the book ďlead a trump against a grandĒ a good human declarer would surely have gone down. A bot declarer, maybe not. And a good human declarer would (I bet) have hooked the spade on a non trump lead, since he will know his LHO had either xx or Qxx in spades, and would have led a trump from xx almost surely.

Meanwhile on my misguess that could have cost a me a game but didnít, Klaymen made the same misguess, but his bot opponent found the correct defense.

Against that, and maybe I should have worked this one out, there was a hand that is 0% against reasonable defense, possibly down 2, that I played safe for down 1, Klaymen played more aggressively, got bad defense, and made.