Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Core Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Group & Health Core Exam Old Group & Health Design & Pricing Forum

Old 09-19-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek @ TIA View Post
That works for some people, but PLEASE also look at some prior SOA problems. The sample solutions aren't always perfect (and in some cases have significant issues), but it's very helpful to look at these problems to get an idea of how they ask questions, how to set up and answer these questions and to practice your time management. Test taking strategies do become very important on these exams under the stressful conditions, so you really do need to practice this. The prior exams (for the questions that are still applicable) are a very good resource for some of this actual practice.
Is there a resource that helps with identifying specific questions/parts of questions from prior exams most relevant to this exam?
Old 09-19-2019, 04:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLar2007 View Post
Is there a resource that helps with identifying specific questions/parts of questions from prior exams most relevant to this exam?
I'm not sure if you've registered for our online course, but the applicable question history is part of the supplemental materials you'll find there.

If not, you can look at prior exams on the SOA.org site, but you'll need to check the sample solutions, and they usually identify the source, so you can find the ones from the current syllabus.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek @ TIA View Post
I'm not sure if you've registered for our online course, but the applicable question history is part of the supplemental materials you'll find there.

If not, you can look at prior exams on the SOA.org site, but you'll need to check the sample solutions, and they usually identify the source, so you can find the ones from the current syllabus.
Thank you for your prompt response.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:01 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLar2007 View Post
I don't know of anything other than what is put together within the different study packages. That has been part of my struggle with this exam, I feel like I spend too much time figuring out what to study rather than actually studying.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:24 PM
SOA

How's everyone's progress going? What strategies are you guys using?

Im using TIA plus the MATE note cards. I've done a first pass of the videos and am now memorizing 10-15 note cards per day. I'm starting with objectives 4 and 5 because I want those to be my strongest areas. I write down the note cards, rewatch the corresponding TIA videos, and then I go through the note cards until I can state them out loud without looking.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:12 PM

I'm not too sure yet. I went through the TIA videos and now going through their flashcards and outline. I'm not sure what else I should be doing but something along a mix of:

1. Looking through some of the source material if I'm not feeling comfortable with it.
2. Working out sample exams towards the last two or three weeks or so

Not sure when to do what/ how much time to spend on each thing but for now, I'm just memorizing the flash cards.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:47 AM

Right now, I'm speed re-reading a little, trying to memorize about 25 MATE cards per day, and doing a small amount of numerical problems. Starting next week (until the exam), I'm going to focus more on the math, while memorizing about 12 cards per day.

I suck at memorizing, but I'm trying. Overall, I feel pretty good, but there are several topics I'm weak at.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:10 PM
SOA

Does anyone understand how the grading works for DP?
I have two different candidate numbers for morning and afternoon.
It seems I am getting different responses from SOA:
1.I can pass each part separately (which I thought was only for split exam takers)
2. I have to pass both segments to get full credit for exam. If I fail morning but pass afternoon I get no credit.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:33 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by june3094 View Post
Does anyone understand how the grading works for DP?
From what I've understood, it will be the following:

Candidates that have credit for Core or Advanced already:
Morning and afternoon sessions are graded separately. You could pass neither portion, one portion or both portions. If you just pass one portion, you get transitional credit and have to pass the other portion by the end of Spring 2021, otherwise you lose all of your transition credit, and you would then need to take the FULL DP and FV exams to get your FSA.

Candidates that have do not have prior credit for Core or Advanced:
Morning and afternoon sessions are graded together. You get an overall pass or fail for the entire exam based on your aggregate score. No partial credit (i.e. only morning or only afternoon) as in the case of the transitional students.

This is based on the following link:
https://www.soa.org/programs/curricu.../#group-health

Let me know if you've seen or heard conflicting information from the SOA.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:41 AM
SOA

Looking at this again, if you're taking the full DP exam (or the full FV exam), that would imply that you don't have any prior transitional credit, so your exam would be graded in aggregate and should just get one pass/fail score overall.

People that have transition credit would either be taking DP-A+FV-A or DP-C+FV-C.