Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Around the World > Español
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 03-23-2012, 02:08 AM
CAS

Default Nivel de Español

Soy estudiante actuario en los EEUU, pero siempre he querido trabajar y vivir en otro país. Me parece que trabajar en Latino América sería muy interesante, pero no sé que nivel de español yo necesitaría. Estudié español por 5 años en la escuela, pues mi nivel de español es mediano. ¿Es necesario poder hablar español como un nativo para trabajar en Latino América? ¿Si trabajo por una empresa internacional, el trabajo va a ser en español o en ingles? ¿Además, como son los salarios en Latino América, en comparación con en los EEUU?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:12 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for C
College: PUCP
Favorite beer: Pilsen

Esta es la mejor oferta laboral que he encontrado publicada para el Peru, estoy seguro que hay mejores y para el mismo puesto, solo que no publican el sueldo.

http://www.obiettivolavoro.com.pe/co...ente-actuarial
Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 PM
CAS AAA

College: California Institute of Technology
Favorite beer: Westvleteren 10

So, I work in the insurance markets in Latinamerica. I find that there are not enough actuaries working in the countries to meet the market need. Depending on your qualifications, I think you can find a job in latinamerica with more responsibility then you would in the US. The salary in USD would be lower, but it would likely go much further, as cost of living is *much* less.

Based on what you've written above, your spanish is good enough.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:47 PM
frequent poster
SOA

Studying for exam 97
College: Phoenix On-Line
Favorite beer: TC-17x97

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandro View Post
So, I work in the insurance markets in Latinamerica. I find that there are not enough actuaries working in the countries to meet the market need. Depending on your qualifications, I think you can find a job in latinamerica with more responsibility then you would in the US. The salary in USD would be lower, but it would likely go much further, as cost of living is *much* less.

Based on what you've written above, your spanish is good enough.
Muy interesante.

Que forma de seguranza es mas popular? Que es el pais mejor para trabajar?

Por favor, cuentame de como es vivir en latinoamerica.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:35 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: "Apple Yuce" :D
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jass View Post
Muy interesante.

Que forma de seguranza es mas popular? Que es el pais mejor para trabajar?

Por favor, cuentame de como es vivir en latinoamerica.

Por favor di nos mas, alejandro!

E, si les apetece leer lo en ingles, aquí esta la información general sobre trabajar como actuario en Latino América, escrito por alejandro. Acuérdense que existe el traductor virtual de Google!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandro View Post
There is a dearth of actuarial knowledge in the region. Someone with US experience in doing reserves or pricing will be highly valued in the region. Much of the work currently being done is formulaic. As an example, I find that most insurance people I speak with think that IBNR is Pure IBNR, and do not consider development of claims as part of IBNR. Regulations in many countries are written this way. In the nearly three years I've been working in the region, this is what I have found:

An "actuary" in most of the countries means little more then you took a couple of courses in math (Brazil, Argentina, and Mexico are the exceptions).

Mexico City - I was not impressed with many of the actuaries I've met in Mexico. On the other hand, some are good. The way I read this is that the actuarial education system is no where near as in depth as in the US, and that smart people will educate themselves. There is currently a significant gap in the knowledge needed in the industry.
I disagree with posters that the salaries are low. The job posts you see for 17k usd are for a locally trained actuary, not someone with the expertise you get in the US, or trained by a US firm. I'd expect to get something closer to 70% of a US salary. For many companies, a large portion of the total compensation is non-salary benefits (a car, an allowance for lunches, an allowance for school) - I believe it has to do with taxes. Mexico City is not dangerous. I've only been once, but if you stay out of the wrong neighborhoods you will be fine. You should do additional research on this, rather then relying on hear-say. Go visit - maybe setup an informational interview with a few companies.

Big international insurers also have offices in latinamerica: Ace, Zurich, QBE, Chartis, Santander(?). Not to mention local companies, many of which dominate their markets.

Buenos Aires - Argentina, like mexico, I was not impressed with many of the candidates I interviewed. They said they could do reserves, when in fact all they knew how to do was follow a formula. There is no judgement in the local reserve calculation. This would be another city where an actuary who can apply judgement will do well. Here, again, I know a handful of actuaries whose work I consider very good. You'll find the best trained actuaries in this country.
Buenos Aires is a really fun city, lots of history, and a fun night life. I love dining on steak and wine during my visits. I'm worried about the economy. Inflation has been over 15% for 5 years now, and 25% the last three. The government just nationalized a spanish oil company.

Santiago - There is no real training program in Chile. The actuaries I know in Chile are from Buenos Aires. It's the city I'd take my family to live in. The city is safe. Chile and Uruguay are by far the least corrupt countries in the region. The weather is like LA, it's dry wonderful weather. You're close to the mountains, and close to the beach. The chileans are laid back, and enjoy their wine - oh, you're looking for job info. I think a well trained actuary would have no problem finding a job in Santiago, and cost of living is low.

Brazil - I know one Brazilian actuary - he's very good. I don't know about their training system. You may end up in Sao Paolo, which is not as interesting as Rio de Janeiro.

Colombia - I've met a few actuaries trained in their system, and have not been impressed yet.

The theme is this: Latinamerica needs actuaries who can provide judgement. If you make it known that you are available, that you have US training, then I think you will find work. I don't think you mentioned if you have your letters. I think it'd be good to have them, since it will carry weight, but this is not necessary. I also think it would make sense to have a regional or sub-regional role. This has the advantage of giving you exposure to more countries, but also it enables your employer to pay you a salary closer to US level due to the high level of responsibility.

I get calls regularly looking for a regional actuary for latinamerica.

-Alejandro
También les sugiero que se suscriban y empiecen a leer este hilo.

Last edited by centaurphoenix; 06-20-2012 at 03:14 AM..