Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 AM
CAS

College: University of Waterloo
Default Loss Development in GLMs

Suppose you are creating a GLM for modelling loss cost for a long tail line using loss experience data. Would you generally applying LDFs to this loss experience data before modelling, account for development after creating the GLM, or use some combination of the two?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:03 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothing!!!!
College: Lehigh University Alum
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Developing individual claims to go into a GLM is ... tricky. How do you go about doing it? At a minimum, you would need separate development factors for open claims and closed claims I would think. Maybe closed claims development is 1, but it wouldn't be for a line like WC. And how do handle IBNR claims? Do you just create claims out of thin air?

I haven't done this often in my current role, but my theoretical preference would be to use slightly outdated info valued at a point where claim count IBNR is minimal. If 98% of claims are reported in the first 24 months, for example, then I might use X years of data ending 6/30/11 all valued as of 24 months, and then try to adjust for the 24 -> Ultimate development later.

Play in the AO Prediction Game now!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM
CAS AAA

There is an article co-authored by Mark Shapeland on GLM and loss development. You may do a search on the site CASACT.org. I recall Mark proved that the chain ladder process is actually intended to manually solve a GLM problem.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:05 PM
CAS

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...serving&page=2
Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 PM
CAS

Guszcza and Lommele also describe a model that contemplates pure IBNR.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:14 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Developing individual claims to go into a GLM is ... tricky. How do you go about doing it? At a minimum, you would need separate development factors for open claims and closed claims I would think. Maybe closed claims development is 1, but it wouldn't be for a line like WC. And how do handle IBNR claims? Do you just create claims out of thin air?

I haven't done this often in my current role, but my theoretical preference would be to use slightly outdated info valued at a point where claim count IBNR is minimal. If 98% of claims are reported in the first 24 months, for example, then I might use X years of data ending 6/30/11 all valued as of 24 months, and then try to adjust for the 24 -> Ultimate development later.
Ancient bump, but I'm in the midst of considering this same question. Should we develop losses prior to modelling via a GLM and how do we minimize bias or distortion introduced from that development?

My thought is similar to MH. Use slightly dated loss experience to limit the missing IBNR claims, then use a report period development analysis to fully develop the known claims. I hadn't thought of the idea that closed claims should be considered separately, which complicates the development process. What about using an individual claim level model to adjust case reserve values to an expected "Ultimate" basis?

Also, has anyone done any sensitivity testing on the impact of various development methods/processes on the GLM performance/coefficients?
Old 08-26-2019, 01:14 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks1839 View Post
Ancient bump, but I'm in the midst of considering this same question. Should we develop losses prior to modelling via a GLM and how do we minimize bias or distortion introduced from that development?

My thought is similar to MH. Use slightly dated loss experience to limit the missing IBNR claims, then use a report period development analysis to fully develop the known claims. I hadn't thought of the idea that closed claims should be considered separately, which complicates the development process. What about using an individual claim level model to adjust case reserve values to an expected "Ultimate" basis?

Also, has anyone done any sensitivity testing on the impact of various development methods/processes on the GLM performance/coefficients?
I don't have any specific experience with it, but this book may point you in the right direction. Starting at page 208.

https://ferassamain92.github.io/MyCV...%20Volume2.pdf
Old 08-26-2019, 01:17 PM
CAS

Looks like he references Monograph 1, so this may point you in the right direction too until someone with experience jumps in:

https://www.casact.org/pubs/monograp.../01-Meyers.PDF
Old 08-26-2019, 04:17 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14 View Post
Guszcza and Lommele also describe a model that contemplates pure IBNR.
This one?

https://www.casact.org/pubs/forum/06fforum/115.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:12 PM
CAS

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Alcoholic

This is probably a dumb question, but if you're building a PP model (or even freq/sev) does developing claims even matter other than if used as a credibility standard? Effectively it cancels out right? I feel like I'm missing something if those way smarter than me have posted papers on the topic.