Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 09-13-2019, 11:28 AM
SOA

Studying for Life ALM & Modeling
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Gonna walk 9 today. One thing I've noticed with my swing is in my knees. At address I tend to let them fall inward under my body a bit and noticed I could push them outwards to stay more over my feet which makes the stance feel a bit more athletic. No idea if this would change anything with my swing since I haven't been to the range, but made me question what is the correct athletic posture at address for the knees in particular.
Intuitively that seems like a good move. Knees pointing outward would help you turn back more on the backswing and transfer your weight properly in the downswing.

I walked a 9-hole Par 3 yesterday. Was +10 after the first two holes, and then +14 for the remaining seven holes, for a total of +24. I need to make sure tomorrow's short-game lesson with my instructor helps me to reach the green in 1-2 shots max from a 100 yards in instead of in 3 shots.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:56 PM
SOA

Today's lesson went really well.

I asked the pro to fix my swing for 25, 50 and 100 yard shots. The driving range had markers for those distances.

For 25 and 50 yards - using my GW and SW - the main takeaways were:

1) For the takeaway, bring the club back and not around. Instead of going behind me, the club head has to come back at a straight line;

2) For the follow-through, the butt of the club has to point upwards, the club face has to be pointing at the sky. I was (incorrectly) bending my left wrist backwards. The pro said that I could either keep it straight or bend it inwards at follow-through: that will keep the club face pointing to the sky. He told me to imagine that there's sand on the club face and that I don't want the sand to spill.

For the 100 yard shot, I just took a full swing with my PW and the pro didn't change anything about it. He just told me to stay inside my swing plane to obtain consistent shots.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:24 PM
SOA

Glad the lessons went well. 1) is something I focus on when chipping, not sure it would be active thought at 50 yards for me personally.

Had a super relaxing solo twilight 9 holes on Friday. Perfect weather, no one off behind me and over a hole behind the person in front of me. Used my first shots for score, but wasn't really keeping strict track and was taking lots of extra shots and putts around the greens. Just exploring and learning my game a bit better. My iron distances went a bit haywire at the end. Hole 8 par 3 is a sharply elevated green above the tee box. 135 by laser, so playing closer to 145 typically. The hole has almost always been an 8i for me, however this time I flew the green with it which blew my mind. Then on par 5 hole 9 I was 135 out sitting 2 and used my 9i (not much elevation change and wind was with me) and again flew the green significantly. Going to have to really be more careful with iron choices depending on how I'm hitting the ball as well as other factors such as lie and wind. I think I figured out some of the issues with my putting stroke towards the end as well, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to pull things together a bit towards the end of the year.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:46 PM
SOA

Went to the driving range tonight.

Hit my wedges and irons pretty well.

Bought a Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi (2011) 22-degree 4-hybrid to add to the same model 25-degree 5-hybrid that I have. Very happy to see that I could hit it straight and longer than the 5H from the get go.

Unfortunately had a hard time hitting my 19-degree 5-wood from the deck and also sliced my shots with the driver.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:20 PM
SOA

Just walked a 9-hole Par 3 and scored my best ever at this course: 40 (+13).

Hit my irons and hybrids (including the new 4H) pretty long and straight. Got GIR on two holes, but the other times I was pin high, either left or right. On two occasions I pulled to the left and lost my ball. Last weekend's short-game lesson really helped, I was able to use proper technique to pitch on the green 100% of the time. After the game I went to thank the instructor cause he was giving a lesson in the driving range.

Last edited by Canadiens Fan; 09-21-2019 at 03:00 PM..
Old 09-23-2019, 10:02 AM
SOA

I'm reading the book "Practical Golf" by John Jacobs. Really good book so far.

I read the first section on why the ball travels left, right or straight due to our swing. There are nine different possibilities of ball flight due to three possible club face positions (open, square, closed) and three possible swing lines (inside-out, on-line, outside-in). This will really help me analyze ball flight during practice sessions.

Now I'm reading the section about grip and I'm a bit confused. The author says that the pressure points for the right hand are the middle and the ring finger. I thought it was the index finger and the thumb?
Old 09-23-2019, 10:13 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
I'm reading the book "Practical Golf" by John Jacobs. Really good book so far.

I read the first section on why the ball travels left, right or straight due to our swing. There are nine different possibilities of ball flight due to three possible club face positions (open, square, closed) and three possible swing lines (inside-out, on-line, outside-in). This will really help me analyze ball flight during practice sessions.

Now I'm reading the section about grip and I'm a bit confused. The author says that the pressure points for the right hand are the middle and the ring finger. I thought it was the index finger and the thumb?
Take or disregard my amateur advice as you like:

Assuming you are swinging right handed, your right thumb should play essentially no role in the swing, it's just there. No pressure applied.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:20 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Looking at some pictures of grips online just now, I can see how many people have their right thumb on top of the shaft, but I think this just causes problems. I essentially lay my thumb over, basically not using it whatsoever.

EDIT: Like the pictures here: https://womensgolfcenter.com/201/gri...lub-correctly/
Old 09-23-2019, 11:13 AM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

I recently went back and looked at Ben Hogan's Five Lessons book. He talks about the grip in great detail in Lesson 1. I committed to using his recommend grip and it has really helped. It felt awkward at first (I've always overlapped), but with a couple of weeks of work it feels natural.

On of the drills on the grip is hitting balls without having the right forefinger and thumb on the club at all.

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:38 AM
SOA

Yeah, I tend to agree. Apply most of my pressure on the right hand with my middle and ring while the index and thumb are more casual. Makes sense to me if you look at the grip from upside down. You want the pressure running along all the fingers gripping the shaft which your right ring and middle finger help extend below your left hand. My right thumb doesn't touch the shaft.

Last edited by dancran1220; 09-23-2019 at 11:42 AM..