Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Life
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-28-2017, 01:49 PM
SOA

College: Yale
Favorite beer: Old Dominion Double D
Default Androgen Insensistiviy Syndrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post

But I can't accept this. A trans woman won't need pap smears, nor will she need to worry about ... typical "women's" heath issues.
Neither will a woman with AIS.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:11 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculler View Post
Google says AIS has XY chromosome. Woman?

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:07 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely Absorbed View Post
edit to add : to be super clear, an AMAB(assigned male at birth) trans-woman's "biological sex" IS female.
I assume you're talking post-op? They've still got the same chromosomes they were born with is the issue.

I would think that insurance companies *could* be sticklers about sex at birth: XX chromosome = female, anything else = male. That would show up in a blood test, which many insurers require for $100K & higher.

Whether their existing applications are worded that way is a different question. It's something that I would expect to see change in the next 15 years.

In the event that an insurer doesn't see it that way, I would think FtM transgenders would not be particularly inclined to call up their insurers and request a rate hike. And I very much doubt that the insurer would be willing to drop the rate for a MtF transgender. So I don't see anyone's rate changing at the time of transition... it would more be a question of how someone buying a new policy post-transition was treated, and I'd think insurers would want them classed by sex at birth.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:50 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculler View Post
That can be true (depending on the manifestation of AIS). A woman with AIS is one of the many people who don't fit neatly into the gender binary. She will have some male and some female biological features. She, like most trans people, is "biologically" somewhere between the two binary extremes.

I suppose most of us are a little between, but there is a large fraction of the population that's close enough to one end or the other that a gender binary is a pretty good approximation of their experience.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:52 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Google says AIS has XY chromosome. Woman?
They are typically assigned female at birth, grow up assuming they are ordinary girls, and look like ordinary women at adulthood, except for having less body/pubic hair than most women. But they usually lack a uterus and often have some other non-visible abnormalities. When they are diagnosed, it's typically either because they are having trouble getting pregnant or they failed a chromosome test for an athletic competition.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:53 PM
SOA

Quote:
They are typically assigned female at birth, grow up assuming they are ordinary girls, and look like ordinary women at adulthood, except for having less body/pubic hair than most women. But they usually lack a uterus and often have some other non-visible abnormalities. When they are diagnosed, it's typically either because they are having trouble getting pregnant or they failed a chromosome test for an athletic competition.
Do they menstruate? Unless the answer is "yes", I would think that would be the first sign. I admittedly don't know much about AIS.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:46 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
Do they menstruate? Unless the answer is "yes", I would think that would be the first sign. I admittedly don't know much about AIS.
probably most don't, since most don't have a uterus. So yeah, I suppose that would be the first sign.

So yeah,

A woman with AIS is one of the many people who don't fit neatly into the gender binary. She will have some male and some female biological features.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:12 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
probably most don't, since most don't have a uterus. So yeah, I suppose that would be the first sign.

So yeah,

A woman with AIS is one of the many people who don't fit neatly into the gender binary. She will have some male and some female biological features.
That's the whole point of "underwriting" - to get the person categorized into the group where the result is most homogeneous. (Can I use that word? )

When a person doesn't fit, the insurance company does the best it can, with due regard for conservatism when there isn't any data on historical mortality experience.

CISAB
CISAB
Spoiler:
Back to BASICs

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:55 AM
CAS

There's very little medical information. I have several trans friends struggling with questions like, "as a cancer survivor, is it safe for me to take testosterone?" It's just not known, yet.

I doubt any company's financials will be materially impacted by the difference in premium and loss they will incur based on whether they underwrite trans people as men our women. I think it's far more likely to have a marketing impact and a psychological impact on those directly affected) than to have any other material impact. So I would hope most companies underwrite based on current legal sex.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:22 PM
SOA

Quote:
There's very little medical information. I have several trans friends struggling with questions like, "as a cancer survivor, is it safe for me to take testosterone?" It's just not known, yet.

I doubt any company's financials will be materially impacted by the difference in premium and loss they will incur based on whether they underwrite trans people as men our women. I think it's far more likely to have a marketing impact and a psychological impact on those directly affected) than to have any other material impact. So I would hope most companies underwrite based on current legal sex.
Sure, insurance companies can afford to lose a little money here & there by deliberately underpricing any sufficiently small group of people. That doesn't make it wise to engage in intentional underpricing.