Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 01-11-2019, 03:46 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Grumby View Post
Every day the NYT xword comes with a blog by an experienced solver, and comments by the [mad skillz] puzzle maker. Today they encouraged people trying to learn the art to take advantage of the network of cruciverbalists and xword editors who will look at your puzzles for free, and they provided a link. Seems like it might be useful....
It looks like you're referring to this. Thanks!
Aaaaaaaah!/Academy Of Muses/Age of Shadows/Among The Living/Brigsby Bear/Chained For Life/The Challenge/The Field Guide to Evil/Hacksaw Ridge/Housewife/The Innocents/It/Journeyman/Mohawk/My Happy Family/Nostalgia/The Party/Paul Verhoeven's Tricked/Profile/Puzzle/Share/Silence/State Like Sleep
Old 01-15-2019, 09:50 AM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

REJECTED! By the L.A. Times.
Quote:
Thanks for sending us your "Toys" puzzle. Rich notes that your grid has some nice work, but the theme doesn't grab him. There are so many "popular toys" for the first three clues that choosing any of them strikes Rich as too arbitrary. He'll pass, I'm sorry to say.
Now 0-for-5. Still enjoy creating the crosswords, and still feel I'm improving.

The rejected #4 is attached, now in pdf rather than xlsx format. Although the theme didn't pass muster, I liked a lot of the entries I was able to get in there.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Crossword #4.pdf (219.9 KB, 20 views)
Aaaaaaaah!/Academy Of Muses/Age of Shadows/Among The Living/Brigsby Bear/Chained For Life/The Challenge/The Field Guide to Evil/Hacksaw Ridge/Housewife/The Innocents/It/Journeyman/Mohawk/My Happy Family/Nostalgia/The Party/Paul Verhoeven's Tricked/Profile/Puzzle/Share/Silence/State Like Sleep
Old 01-17-2019, 12:37 PM

thanks for posting. i did it last night. seems like a Tuesday-ish puzzle.

was a bit thrown off by a couple of entries:

Spoiler:
Hobby Drone? never heard that wording before.
Also never seen Trawl used as a noun like that, but it makes sense. Initially thought you were going for Creel and thought it was a bit of a stretch.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:04 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

On your first point, I think I just googled it to check if it was actually a common term. It is a term, but maybe not a common enough one.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 AM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Crossword #7 will be sent to the LA Times today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Grumby View Post
Every day the NYT xword comes with a blog by an experienced solver, and comments by the [mad skillz] puzzle maker. Today they encouraged people trying to learn the art to take advantage of the network of cruciverbalists and xword editors who will look at your puzzles for free, and they provided a link. Seems like it might be useful....
On this point, it's not exactly the same thing, but I am currently collaborating on constructing a crossword with someone on the west coast via Skype. They're in the same boat as me - never had one published. The theme idea was theirs; a lot of the work time so far was coming up with good theme entries (and much of that was done offline). So we've got the theme entries all set, and are working on filling the grid. It's about 2/3 of the way there right now.

Speaking to the quoted part, after reflecting on it, I think I'm a bit resistant to having someone experienced vet my puzzles, because I find it difficult enough to come up with good theme ideas as it is. Possibly getting the ideas vetoed by someone else would just be another hurdle. But this is more me recognizing that I have a problem, than me saying that getting more experienced people to look at my puzzles would be a bad idea. I'm treating it as something I can resort to if I feel that I really, really need the help.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:17 AM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Silver Haze View Post
On this point, it's not exactly the same thing, but I am currently collaborating on constructing a crossword with someone on the west coast via Skype. They're in the same boat as me - never had one published. The theme idea was theirs; a lot of the work time so far was coming up with good theme entries (and much of that was done offline). So we've got the theme entries all set, and are working on filling the grid. It's about 2/3 of the way there right now.
We have a finished version of this, and the collaborator, who is more into the whole crossword internet scene than me, sent it to several people who are offering their services as test solvers to give feedback. Just heard back on that last night.

There are some minor things for us to clean up, but the feedback was positive, and one guy was particularly effusive with his praise:

Quote:
I don't know what more you want when solving an early week puzzle. Cute theme that's not obvious til you hit the revealer, fill is buttery smooth and has great bonuses, the clues are lively and pitched at a good difficulty throughout. It's wonderful and you two should pat yourselves on the back! And submit it somewhere!
Very encouraging!
Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 AM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Discounting the ones that I sent to the WSJ, which replies very quickly:

#1 to NYT - Sent Jul 13/18, rejected Oct 2/18 - 81 days
#2 to LAT - Sent Aug 13/18, rejected Nov 6/18 - 85 days
#4 to LAT - Sent Oct 13/18, rejected Jan 14/19 - 93 days

#5 to NYT - Sent Dec 12/18, have not heard back as of Mar 18/19 - 96 days

Getting antsy.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:20 AM
Non-Actuary

College: School of Life

Are you sending each one just to one market, then posting here? Why not submit each to multiple markets? Just cause it doesn’t fit one place, doesn’t mean it won’t go somewhere else. I’m assuming that, similar to fiction, by posting them here you’re “publishing” them, and first-run publishers (NYT, WSJ, LAT) won’t accept reprints. So you’re kind of screwing yourself if you do it that way, no?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:30 AM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
Are you sending each one just to one market, then posting here?
So far, yes, most of the time. There was one instance where I sent one crossword to two newspapers.

Quote:
Why not submit each to multiple markets? Just cause it doesn’t fit one place, doesn’t mean it won’t go somewhere else.
That's not a bad idea. Earlier on I was less confident about the quality of my work, and now I think it's getting better, e.g. I am actively proud of crossword #7 (although it could be that I only feel good about the later ones because they haven't been rejected yet).

I think I still gotta send them to just one newspaper at a time and wait for each rejection before sending them somewhere else, though?

Quote:
I’m assuming that, similar to fiction, by posting them here you’re “publishing” them, and first-run publishers (NYT, WSJ, LAT) won’t accept reprints. So you’re kind of screwing yourself if you do it that way, no?
This is correct
Old 04-18-2019, 07:15 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

REJECTED! by the New York Times. This is for the one I submitted back in December.
Quote:
Hi (SSH),

This is Joel Fagliano, writing on behalf of Will.

Thanks for sending us your 15x, which I'm afraid we have to pass on for now. Will found the theme impressive, but a little too cerebral. Solvers aren't going to have (puzzle detail removed) memorized, for example.

Sorry about that! We appreciated the creativity of this effort, and hope you'll keep trying us with more.

All best,
Joel
Too cerebral! My goodness.

I will likely send this someplace else, per Bro's suggestion.