Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 07-24-2019, 03:12 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani Sitake View Post
Next steps:

1. Las Vegas Bowl moves to Las Vegas Stadium (starting in 2020 - now Pac12 #2 vs SEC #3/B1G #4).
2. Pac12 Championship happens in Las Vegas Stadium for the foreseeable future. (now scheduled for 2020 and 2021)
3. Las Vegas Bowl successfully pushes to be in the rotation for the playoff semis. (Partnering with the Outback Bowl.)
4. After a few years, Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Cotton, Peach, Orange, Las Vegas, and Outback Bowls put their weight behind an 8 team playoff. Quarters, semis, and championship games plus one "spotlight" at-large game rotate through those sites.

(I added the "spotlight" game just to make the math work, but I like the idea the more I think about it. A bowl game with no tie-ins, no playoff implications, just a "let's do this" game with two teams that lots of people would like to see play. Heck, maybe even have a ranked-choice fan vote to see who would play in it.)
Las Vegas Bowl: https://www.raiders.com/news/mitsubi...-pac-12-at-new

Pac 12 Championship: https://pac-12.com/article/2019/07/2...las-vegas-2020

Last edited by Kalani Sitake; 07-24-2019 at 06:26 PM..
Old 07-25-2019, 08:48 PM
SOA AAA

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...s-tell-us-2019

Somewhat interesting. Mostly trivia, not stats.
The one that catches my eye is this:

Quote:
5. Rise of the fourth-down conversion?
The 2018 Army Black Knights found a football cheat code last season: They stole downs. Hopefully other teams take notice.

Jeff Monken's squad not only went for it 36 times on fourth down last season (fourth most in FBS), it also converted 31 of them. That's more conversions than anyone has managed in at least 15 years, and it's an almost unmatchable success rate, too. (For all we know, it might be unsustainable, too. We'll see.) They used third downs often just to set up fourth-and-short, then they converted. Opponents first got frustrated, then got tired.

This was clearly a winning strategy. Army won 11 games for the first time in school history -- a year after winning 10 games for only the second time, no less.

Now to see if others follow Army's lead. Obviously, with their option offense, the Black Knights are uniquely equipped to both create and convert fourth-and-shorts. But this strategy might catch on -- 19 teams attempted at least 30 fourth-down conversions last year, after only 10 did in 2017.
I'd love to see more 4th down attempts and conversions (and fails for that matter).

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 07-26-2019, 08:18 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

eh, the key is what they mention at the end, that option offense is the perfect attack for that. grind and grind and grind, if you know you average 3 yards a running play then it makes it a lot easier to call another option run and get that short yardage. I wish the stat also gave average distance.

i'm in favor of more people going for it, but the down/distance/position on the field/game situation needs to be right for it. also somewhat matters who you are playing against. if the other teams offense is totally inept, might make sense to try and pin them inside the 10yard line and not give them it at midfield. where as if you are going against Oklahoma or some other high powered offense that you aren't stopping anyway, might as well attempt to hold onto the ball.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:01 PM
SOA AAA

Well, their strategy is to use all four downs.
Everyone else's strategy is "We have only three downs."
When the overall strategy is to score points, which means having the ball, which means creating a strategy that retains possession as much as possible, so the other teams cannot have the ball and score touchdowns, ... kinda drrrr if you ask me.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 08-02-2019, 11:51 AM
CAS

We are in the month of college football! SO PUMPED!

GO DUCKS!
Old 08-09-2019, 03:38 AM
CAS AAA

College: The University of Alabama
Favorite beer: Chimay Grande Rťserve
Arrow Canít wait. Roll Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherCareerChanger View Post
We are in the month of college football! SO PUMPED!

GO DUCKS!
Oregon has a lot of promise. They bring back quite a bit of their production on both sides of the ball. Still need to get bigger in the trenches but trending in the right direction.

I question their consistency in the run game: Last year, 27 carries for 37 yards against Michigan State, 32 for 117 against Utah, 23 for 65 against Washington State. That is not good enough to open up passing lanes for Herbert.

While the PAC-12 isnít highly regarded, Oregon has a good enough schedule for respectability. They will get a very good test of their offense early with Auburnís defense. They need that one and so does their conference.

Washington lost a lot, but at this point, I trust them to reload on defense. Additionally, I think they get a huge upgrade at QB with Eason. I think the Huskies will win the division again.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:30 PM
CAS

Old 08-22-2019, 03:55 PM
CAS

Old 08-22-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani Sitake View Post
Shouldn't that really be 7, given your nom de plume?
Old 08-22-2019, 06:54 PM
SOA AAA

Not every single one of his posts in the general College Football 2019 thread is about BYU.

Yours, though....