Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 08-19-2019, 06:16 PM
Weremember
SOA AAA

Studying for the Battle of the Bands
Favorite beer: Presidente

Any thoughts on the candidates? I value the opinions of my fellow AO members.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskull
Turns out, annuitize IS DB. Directed by M Night Shyamalan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabeanactuary
I realized WIS was his dump stat a while back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaPoe
Ideologues should be kept far away from power. Starbucks is a good place for them to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
There's no such thing as an overqualified barista. You need somebody who can not only make drinks and run a register, but also engage customers who might have questions about the genderqueer or Hegelian subtext of the latest pretending-to-not-be-from-a-big-label album being hawked on their counter.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:38 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

I'm still working through the bios, etc.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 08-20-2019, 12:48 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
Any thoughts on the candidates? I value the opinions of my fellow AO members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I'm still working through the bios, etc.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:43 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Of the people on the list, only one do I have strong negative feelings about -- William "Flick" Fornia. This relates directly to my interest re: public pensions.

He has been on the Board for 3 years already (so this is him going for his second stint).

He has shown up in a few of my posts re: public pensions. Here's one, [posted in 2014, but written by him in 2009] on what would be an appropriate discount rate in Illinois [whether 8.5% was too high]
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...20#post7813320

A post from when he ran in 2016:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...01#post8665201

That year, there was a seat reserved for somebody from the retirement field, and only he and one other person (Eileen Luxton) fit that bill. Both Luxton & Fornia are currently on the board.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 08-20-2019, 08:50 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

I know two of the candidates Robert Eaton & Lisa Kuklinski, all I can say is they are both good people and very bright. Other than that I know little aside from the bios.

Its funny I think of Lisa as one of the new students, to discover she is a 25 year FSA. Damn, I'm old
Old 08-20-2019, 08:59 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know Roy Goldman as a long time Education & Exams volunteer, conscientious and hard-working. I will be voting for him, even though I know little about his thoughts on other issues.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:46 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Of the people on the list, only one do I have strong negative feelings about -- William "Flick" Fornia. This relates directly to my interest re: public pensions.

He has been on the Board for 3 years already (so this is him going for his second stint).

He has shown up in a few of my posts re: public pensions. Here's one, [posted in 2014, but written by him in 2009] on what would be an appropriate discount rate in Illinois [whether 8.5% was too high]
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...20#post7813320

A post from when he ran in 2016:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...01#post8665201

That year, there was a seat reserved for somebody from the retirement field, and only he and one other person (Eileen Luxton) fit that bill. Both Luxton & Fornia are currently on the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I know two of the candidates Robert Eaton & Lisa Kuklinski, all I can say is they are both good people and very bright. Other than that I know little aside from the bios.

Its funny I think of Lisa as one of the new students, to discover she is a 25 year FSA. Damn, I'm old
It sounds like Fornia should be a definite no. I wish I knew more about whom to vote for instead, lest Fornia still come out in the top 5 voters after I go for someone who has little support.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:53 AM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

I know one candidate personally, Brian Louth. I think he's very competent, hard-working, and one of the nicest people you'll meet. I'm voting for him.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:46 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

I've worked with Robert Eaton and Greg Fann, and intend to vote for both of them.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 08-22-2019, 02:06 AM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

As many AOers know, I served on the SOA Board for nine years, 2001-10, including as president during 2007-08. During that long period, I knew or got to know just about everyone serving in any kind of leadership position within the SOA. As time goes by, the election ballot contains more and more names of people I don't really know or maybe just met somewhere for a minute. It gets more difficult to cast my votes. But that doesn't stop me!

At the top of the ballot, I do know the candidates for president-elect very well, having worked with both of them for decades. (And, of course, I know Tom Bakos extremely well, too, but he isn't on the ballot this year for the first time in a while.) Here are my thoughts on Roy and Jim:

Roy Goldman and I met during the 1970s, when we both worked for Prudential. He's a couple of years older than I am, so roughly 70. He and I were both very active in the E&E system, rising to positions of responsibility before running for the Board. He was a few years ahead of me in that area, too, so we had little overlapping service, but we stayed in touch. Roy is a very smart and conscientious guy. I have some concern that he's too much of a "company man" who won't have enough independence as president. Also, my view is that he has been too little involved in SOA activities for a number of years and may not be well-informed on the latest issues. Not big negatives, but....

Jim Toole is getting my vote, if the SOA is ever good enough to send me my voting credentials! Jim is also very smart and conscientious, like Roy, but he is 15 or so years younger and has been very actively involved with the SOA for at least the past 20 years, including right now. I know where he stands on all the important issues, and we agree on just about everything. Best of all, Jim is an independent, original, out-of-the-box thinker who has the potential to really move the SOA in some good directions, not just keep the president's chair warm for a year, like some of our presidents have done.

I urge my friends on the AO to vote for Jim Toole. You won't be disappointed.

Bruce