Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:56 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for ACA
College: Graduate of hard knocks
Favorite beer: Cold Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnatikid View Post
You'd guess wrong; if I recall, it's based on company regulatory filings (quarterly/annual statements, SHCE, MLR) that are compiled and organized.
I do wonder where they got the Medicaid data though, since not every state has Medicaid MCO's. Yet...
Old 08-09-2019, 02:45 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by exponentialpi View Post
I do wonder where they got the Medicaid data though, since not every state has Medicaid MCO's. Yet...
maybe http://data.medicaid.gov ??
Old 08-13-2019, 08:30 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
Desirable to what end? Sustainable for which players in the system? Honestly, answering any of these questions without being a little more specific here first gets into political/philosophical territory, which we try to avoid in this forum (and people are doing an excellent job of that).

Iíve looked at your follow ups, and Iím still trying to narrow down the specific tactical questions you are asking...I think thereís some interesting macro questions within this and donít want to go in a bad direction.
I understand that there's a bit of philosophy involved in the questions. I respect the desire to avoid anything that may be risky.

Sustainable in terms of whether or not the tax burden placed on the economy as well as the consumers of health care is a reasonable approach, or whether the cost of the subsidies outweighs the benefit to the currently covered population.

Desirable in the context of whether or not private coverage is a plausible long-term solution or not. I love the work I do... but I've also been looking at it from inside the machine for a long time now. And I think it's fair and honest to say that private health insurance introduces certain problems that wouldn't otherwise exist. Having a division between the provider of a service and the consumer of that service introduces a discontinuity that enables gaming of the system.

The current population has become very heavily subsidized. The unsubsidized population has reduced participation over the last several years. We appear to be approaching a point where the only people who can afford individual coverage are those who are being subsidized.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:33 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosOnFirst View Post
Doh! That's what happens when I don't go back and re-read a thread.

I take back everything I implied about Mark Farrah Associates. I've not worked with them before and therefore have no opinion on the quality or accuracy of their data.
No problem. We all get busy sometimes.

MFA really is more of an aggregation. They comb through financial filings and pull data out, put it together in a more useful format, and then present it through the lens of competitive intelligence and market behavior. They periodically do some very high level analysis, but they generally report facts as opposed to opinions. They don't tend to interpret what their data means, they simply report what is occurring.