Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Life
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 09-09-2019, 05:39 PM
SOA

Default FAS60 - Changing Assumptions but not Unlocking

I've got a puzzler question for my GAAP friends.

Let's think of this example for 30 Year Term Life (FAS60, locked-in assumptions). I'm not really a Term Valuation guy naturally, so apologies if I say anything silly. Let's say you should a block that had face values from $100K-$500K, and nothing lower or higher. Your locked-in assumptions are based on the $100K bands ($100K-$200K, $200K-$300K, etc.).

Five years after this block has stopped issuing new policies, it is decided (with approval from the states) that policies can reduce their benefits and their premiums by equal percentages. So, 25% reduction in benefits = 25% reduction in premium.

My questions...

1) If a policy takes the reduction and goes from $250K face to $125K, does he get the assumptions of the new lower band that he is now in?

2) If yes, would we retroactively apply them, as though we were unlocking?

3) If yes, what about a policy that went from $150K to $75K, for which we don't have assumptions. Do we get to create them, and if so, would they be best-estimate?

Hopefully that all makes sense!
When the only American citizen President Trump singles out for China’s investigation is his political opponent in the midst of the Democratic nomination process, it strains credulity to suggest that it is anything other than politically motivated
Old 09-09-2019, 07:04 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: An icy cold one in a glass bottle

My first thought is "no, you don't get to make any changes".

I'm not sure I even see an argument for a change in the mortality assumption. While the current face amount may now be smaller (and might have had a different mortality assumption at application because of different underwriting requirements), the underwriting that did happened hasn't changed. The $250k face policy (now at $125k) was underwritten for a $250k face policy. The current face amount is immaterial. I have a hard time seeing a case for a change in mortality assumption.

Will there be a change in persistency expectation? I have hard time seeing a justification for this change as well.

Obviously you'll want to check your DAC recoverability under your new scenario with lower premium revenues. All the expenses are behind you and those didn't change but now you have less future revenue.

These are just the initial thoughts of one random guy from the internet. Do not construe them to be an actuarial opinion or advice. consume with copious quantities of caution.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:54 PM
SOA

Thank you very much! I don't know much about FAS60 tbh (FAS97 4 Life), so I appreciate the thoughts, and what you said makes a lot of sense.
When the only American citizen President Trump singles out for China’s investigation is his political opponent in the midst of the Democratic nomination process, it strains credulity to suggest that it is anything other than politically motivated