Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:45 PM

College: Imperial
Default UK Actuarial profession (IFOA) found guilty of Anti British Racism

For those interested. Here is the proof.
Not only are they guilty. They instructed, caused, induced and or aided the Indian IAI to discriminate against British nationals.

https://imgur.com/a/KoSLKRP
https://imgur.com/a/P8RDUUh

Attached Images

Last edited by actuaryleaks101; 05-23-2019 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: More images
Old 05-22-2019, 02:13 PM
CAS SOA

Some backstory would be nice.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:16 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
LOL communication isn't this poster's strong suit.
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 05-22-2019, 02:30 PM

College: Imperial

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Need to get permission to put up the rest of it. As soon as I do, I will post it.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:19 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

would it though?
Old 05-22-2019, 03:49 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

prior threads:

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=333316

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=332997

LinkedIn Profile
Old 05-25-2019, 08:54 AM

The Employment Tribunal decision in this case is a public document here.

Not sure if I have understood all the nuances, but it appears to come down to:
- IFOA offers its exams twice a year
- IAI offers its own similar exams twice a year, timed around a month after the IFOA exams, and using the IFOA syllabus
- IFOA gives exam credit for its students passing either the IFOA exams or the IAI equivalent
- Students from India are permitted to join the IFOA, but UK students are not permitted to join the IAI, with the tribunal accepting an argument that the IFOA either had some influence over, if at least did not object to, the latter. (Its education provider ActEd made/makes material available to IAI students at considerably reduced rates, and did/does not want UK students joining IAI to get the benefit of those rates).

By giving IFOA exam credit for the IAI exams to Indian students who are members of both IFOA and IAI, IFOA effectively gives them 4 opportunities a year to pass an IFOA exam, compared to only 2 opportunities for UK students. Under UK law it thus discrimates against UK students on the grounds of race (in this context, nationality).

The tribunal rejected an oddly worded claim around mutual recognition and some countries having "easier" routes to qualification.

It will set remedies at a further hearing on 17 June.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
The Employment Tribunal decision in this case is a public document here.

Not sure if I have understood all the nuances, but it appears to come down to:
- IFOA offers its exams twice a year
- IAI offers its own similar exams twice a year, timed around a month after the IFOA exams, and using the IFOA syllabus
- IFOA gives exam credit for its students passing either the IFOA exams or the IAI equivalent
- Students from India are permitted to join the IFOA, but UK students are not permitted to join the IAI, with the tribunal accepting an argument that the IFOA either had some influence over, if at least did not object to, the latter. (Its education provider ActEd made/makes material available to IAI students at considerably reduced rates, and did/does not want UK students joining IAI to get the benefit of those rates).

By giving IFOA exam credit for the IAI exams to Indian students who are members of both IFOA and IAI, IFOA effectively gives them 4 opportunities a year to pass an IFOA exam, compared to only 2 opportunities for UK students. Under UK law it thus discrimates against UK students on the grounds of race (in this context, nationality).

The tribunal rejected an oddly worded claim around mutual recognition and some countries having "easier" routes to qualification.

It will set remedies at a further hearing on 17 June.

It would be discriminating against non-Indian students.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 764dak View Post
It would be discriminating against non-Indian students.
Possibly. The tribunal will have only considered the circumstances of the claimant, who is British. It isn't clear (to me) if the effective prohibition on joining IAI was a policy applied only to British/UK applicants, or to other non-Indians as well.

I guess the number of non-British non-Indians applying to join both IFOA and IAI is likely to be small!
Old 05-25-2019, 09:32 AM
CAS SOA

This is quite different from the personal discrimination the respondent was claiming.

This is essentially a structural problem, which runs afoul of the Equality Act due to being discriminated against based on nationality based on the UK - India "agreement", and their reduced rates. Not surprised the tribunal ruled in his favour here.

Having said that, the mutual recognition path with other Actuarial socities is not the same issue. It should be made a bit tougher (no doubt about it), but that is not discrimination. It is more a professional body issue (so political).