Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Core Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Group & Health Core Exam Old Group & Health Design & Pricing Forum

Old 01-17-2020, 01:19 PM

Default Fall 2019 Full-DP Failing Scores

Here is my breakdown. I know the SOA says you can't do a weighted average, but I think it's informative to try anyway. I think if I had gotten a 3 on DPA #6 instead of a 1, I might have passed. Feel free to post yours, as I think it might be interesting to see if most failers tended to struggle on the same questions.

Segment Q Points Score
DPA 1 5 8
DPA 2 5 10
DPA 3 7 6
DPA 4 7 3
DPA 5 9 4
DPA 6 10 1
DPA 7 10 8
DPA 8 7 3
DPC 1 5 3
DPC 2 8 8
DPC 3 7 5
DPC 4 8 6
DPC 5 6 3
DPC 6 6 9

DPA 5.0
DPC 5.9
All 5.3
Final SOA Score 5
Old 01-17-2020, 02:25 PM
SOA

Did you get a 5 and a 5 on the individual segments on your transcript?

Agreed- DPA 6 is what killed you. It was mostly math and you just had to know it. I'm guessing you weren't comfortable with the credibility calculations or didn't explain them well. I'm not sure if a 3 would have been enough though.

In general- you should keep in mind that if this was a normal sitting without the competition from transition candidates, odds are decent that you would have passed. I think if you just put in the work (though not as much as for the fall attempt) you'll take this in the Spring. Also good news for you- the problem you did worst on is relatively easy to fix/ improve on. It's a couple very specific formulas, it's not a fundamental misunderstanding of material.

Last edited by Alemana19; 01-17-2020 at 02:37 PM..
Old 01-17-2020, 04:06 PM
SOA AAA

College: Utah State University
Favorite beer: Yards IPA

Cross posting / reposting since you might not be following the advanced thread:

Breakdown
1) 9: No surprise
2) 10: No surprise
3) 01: Not surprised. I misread this problem expected it to screw me
4) 05: I don't really remember what I did so no surprise
5) 01: I'm a little surprised it's so low, but I missed the rating areas
6) 06: this is plug and chug and I knew all the formulas, listed formulas and knew the describes. I'm surprised I didn't do better
7) 04: There was some confusing stuff with the wording, and I'm not sure I set it up right so not too shocked here.
8) 01: I absolutely cannot believe my score here. I wasted way to much time on the describe sections, all of which I had dialed. I did likely miss e) as I was confused by the effective start date. I'm not sure what they wanted on that.

This leads to an aggregate 4 but I'll note by FVA was 8 so I was excruciatingly close. My reading comprehension and general math abilities are what screwed me. Which is frustrating, since obviously we all have that math talent. We all have better and worse days. It's nice when the better days are exam days.

Last edited by Climbing Bum; 01-17-2020 at 04:09 PM..
Old 01-17-2020, 09:56 PM

Yes, DPA and DPC both scored 5's. If someone failed DP (no transistion), I think the SOA wound up giving the same score on each segment.

For DPA #6, I felt I only knew b and d decently well. In fact, it seems i didn't know those that well either. I need to get better at lists and more formulas.

I feel I can definitely pass this time. I started studying for DP again on January 13. I'm going to the Mate seminar (again). Though I failed, I think the structure of the Mate schedule and seminar really helped me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemana19 View Post
Did you get a 5 and a 5 on the individual segments on your transcript?

Agreed- DPA 6 is what killed you. It was mostly math and you just had to know it. I'm guessing you weren't comfortable with the credibility calculations or didn't explain them well. I'm not sure if a 3 would have been enough though.

In general- you should keep in mind that if this was a normal sitting without the competition from transition candidates, odds are decent that you would have passed. I think if you just put in the work (though not as much as for the fall attempt) you'll take this in the Spring. Also good news for you- the problem you did worst on is relatively easy to fix/ improve on. It's a couple very specific formulas, it's not a fundamental misunderstanding of material.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:42 PM

So, you will sit for DPA only in April? It's tougher to compete against people in your situation, but I'll try. I think the number of PDA only and DPA/FVA people should be less in the Spring than they were in the fall. That should maybe make it a little less competitive, I hope. All this speculation is just smoke and mirrors... I simply need to prepare and pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbing Bum View Post
Cross posting / reposting since you might not be following the advanced thread:

Breakdown
1) 9: No surprise
2) 10: No surprise
3) 01: Not surprised. I misread this problem expected it to screw me
4) 05: I don't really remember what I did so no surprise
5) 01: I'm a little surprised it's so low, but I missed the rating areas
6) 06: this is plug and chug and I knew all the formulas, listed formulas and knew the describes. I'm surprised I didn't do better
7) 04: There was some confusing stuff with the wording, and I'm not sure I set it up right so not too shocked here.
8) 01: I absolutely cannot believe my score here. I wasted way to much time on the describe sections, all of which I had dialed. I did likely miss e) as I was confused by the effective start date. I'm not sure what they wanted on that.

This leads to an aggregate 4 but I'll note by FVA was 8 so I was excruciatingly close. My reading comprehension and general math abilities are what screwed me. Which is frustrating, since obviously we all have that math talent. We all have better and worse days. It's nice when the better days are exam days.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by studyfix View Post
Yes, DPA and DPC both scored 5's. If someone failed DP (no transistion), I think the SOA wound up giving the same score on each segment.

For DPA #6, I felt I only knew b and d decently well. In fact, it seems i didn't know those that well either. I need to get better at lists and more formulas.

I feel I can definitely pass this time. I started studying for DP again on January 13. I'm going to the Mate seminar (again). Though I failed, I think the structure of the Mate schedule and seminar really helped me.
I liked the Mate seminar too! I was at the Chicago one. I think the mate seminar was very helpful. I wouldn’t go to the same one twice though.

B and d combined are 2 points out of 10... Not good enough even if you got full credit there on those parts.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:14 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by studyfix View Post
So, you will sit for DPA only in April? It's tougher to compete against people in your situation, but I'll try. I think the number of PDA only and DPA/FVA people should be less in the Spring than they were in the fall. That should maybe make it a little less competitive, I hope. All this speculation is just smoke and mirrors... I simply need to prepare and pass.
DP is definitely going to be easier just because so many of the transition candidates have moved on. They’re still out there but there’ll be less of them so they’ll make less of an impact.