Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
And it's incredible how far they can go before the membership gets angry. I've never seen such apathy.

Bruce
How do I show my anger? I've been looking for excuses to get angry.

Seriously, there's only that much a member can do, short of running for president himself or herself. Oh wait, you can't even run unless you are nominated, or something like that.

If there's a revolution of some sort, I'd be happy to join (I've been signing all the pettitions, to no avail, obviously). I just don't know how to start one. I have a job and a family to take care of as well.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Head View Post
I've been volunteering on exam committees for years. When the FEM debate came up, not a single person on my exam committtee was for it. In fact, we were all passionately against it. Even our Canadian members were against it, every single one of them.
I did not imply all E&E volunteers pro FEM. Also, I did not imply all of the readers here are ....

Next time in an E&E meeting if you come across an elective leader mentioned so and so's name and ask about him.

Last edited by guest; 02-07-2012 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: added last sentence
Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Does it appear to anyone else that most FEM supporters are acedemics? Those who stand to gain the most (emplyment security) from FEM being utilized?
Does it appear to anyone else SOA/CAS preparatory seminar guys/girls are anti-FEM?

Actually most US academics opposed FEM.

Last edited by guest; 02-07-2012 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: added bolding and last sentence
Old 02-07-2012, 09:18 PM
SOA

Don't feed the troll. Please.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 PM
SOA

Quote:
How do I show my anger? I've been looking for excuses to get angry.

Seriously, there's only that much a member can do, short of running for president himself or herself. Oh wait, you can't even run unless you are nominated, or something like that.

If there's a revolution of some sort, I'd be happy to join (I've been signing all the pettitions, to no avail, obviously). I just don't know how to start one. I have a job and a family to take care of as well.
Pretty much my opinion too.

I don't want to be SOA president, I just want my voice heard.

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 02-08-2012, 01:20 AM
SOA

Studying for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVLCIV View Post
Don't feed the troll. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondlife View Post

ps: Thanks, I've added you to my ignore list.

Good idea, I've added you to mine.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

I probably should have moved this thread when it first appeared. As long as the topic is leadership of the various actuarial organizations, and the political issues involved, this forum seems a bit more apt than General Actuarial. In fact, recent posts about trolls and trolling almost convinced me to send the thread all the way to NAT. So, my advice is to kindly watch yourselves. I have no power to move this thread out of Chat with . . . But I do know how to do the report post click action.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
I've been volunteering on exam committees for years. When the FEM debate came up, not a single person on my exam committtee was for it. In fact, we were all passionately against it. Even our Canadian members were against it, every single one of them.
Well, they obviously have no clout in the CIA.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-08-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
I probably should have moved this thread when it first appeared. As long as the topic is leadership of the various actuarial organizations, and the political issues involved, this forum seems a bit more apt than General Actuarial. In fact, recent posts about trolls and trolling almost convinced me to send the thread all the way to NAT. So, my advice is to kindly watch yourselves. I have no power to move this thread out of Chat with . . . But I do know how to do the report post click action.
Carol, You are one of the posters that I respect.I am not trolling just for the sake of trolling, I am just trying to show that there is another side. Those on the other side may not appreciate my style (ex: whatever happened to wag the dog?) and I am not talking on behalf of them. I just don't like when people try to portray SOA elected leaders in a different way, like there is a secret agenda to implement FEM. I have talked to some elected leaders of SOA and I've learned about the other side. SOA is a volunteer driven system, those volunteers who learned to work with others well, stay on. Some become elected leaders and then they get a chance to do what they want to, after that they should go away. There is no point in mudslinging. Also, it is wrong to try to transplant your friend (or friends) to elected leadership positions when things go wrong for you. Just my opinion.

In any event apathy rules on this forum!

Also, I think whoever deleted my one-liner post that is being quoted by george24* shouldn't have done that.

*I don't think anyone has any doubt that who george24 really is.

PS: I'll wait and see how the "angry mob" thing is going to work.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondlife View Post
Carol, You are one of the posters that I respect.I am not trolling just for the sake of trolling, I am just trying to show that there is another side. Those on the other side may not appreciate my style (ex: whatever happened to wag the dog?) and I am not talking on behalf of them. I just don't like when people try to portray SOA elected leaders in a different way, like there is a secret agenda to implement FEM. I have talked to some elected leaders of SOA and I've learned about the other side. SOA is a volunteer driven system, those volunteers who learned to work with others well, stay on. Some become elected leaders and then they get a chance to do what they want to, after that they should go away. There is no point in mudslinging. Also, it is wrong to try to transplant your friend (or friends) to elected leadership positions when things go wrong for you. Just my opinion.
Thanks. I agree that the conspiracy theorists have their own agenda, and it's not necessarily mine, either.

However, the matter of getting on the ballot does seem to show serious signs of disfunctional group-think on the part of current leadership. But getting that issue resolved has NOTHING to do with opposition to/or favoritism towards FEM. Admittedly, I think FEM is a dumb idea and I hope it goes away, but I'm willing to be patient and let the natural consequences kill it off.

Quote:
In any event apathy rules on this forum!
Also, I think whoever deleted my one-liner post that is being quoted by george24* shouldn't have done that.
*I don't think anyone has any doubt that who george24 really is.
Well, for what it's worth, I have no clue about george's identity and I really don't care.

Quote:
PS: I'll wait and see how the "angry mob" thing is going to work.
Being angry is rarely a way to get to a better solution, let alone the best one, even if such a "best" solution even exists.

Robert Heinlein once gave a formula for the IQ of a mob. Take the average IQ of the members of the mob, then divide by the number of members.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.

Tags
cera, erm