Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-11-2014, 02:57 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosewater View Post
Do you practice chipping from the rough? I see a lot of people who just give themselves perfect lies when they practice chipping
+1. Only way to get better at the tough stuff is to practice the tough stuff.

More importantly, though, I agree with everyone's comments about the putting. You'll be in a good spot when you can 2-putt from almost anywhere on the green. In order to do that, though, it's important to get a feel for distance. For any putt longer than 15-20 feet, getting a feel for distance is much more important than aiming correctly. Put it this way - from 20 feet, 3 feet short or 3 feet long represents 15% of the original difference, which isn't a *whole* lot, if you don't have the feel of distance. In terms of aiming, though, it's like having a person lie across the hole and missing them while putting at the hole. That's somewhat difficult to do.

For any putt over 20 feet, you should be aiming for a 3-foot radius circle around the hole. Of course, the corollary to that is that you'll need to be able to sink putts from 3 feet. But this will take practice, for sure. And I agree that it's the most effective and reliable way to drop scores quickly.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 PM
SOA

I also had several putts from the fringe that I badly misjudged. Not something I had really practiced that much. Consistently overhit the putts from the fringe expecting it take more momentum off of it. Got more comfortable with them by the end of the round at least.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:23 PM

College: Ohio State Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat? View Post

For any putt over 20 feet, you should be aiming for a 3-foot radius circle around the hole. Of course, the corollary to that is that you'll need to be able to sink putts from 3 feet. But this will take practice, for sure. And I agree that it's the most effective and reliable way to drop scores quickly.
Or have a playing partner who "makes" you pick up 3 footers as gimmes.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:24 PM

College: Ohio State Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
I also had several putts from the fringe that I badly misjudged. Not something I had really practiced that much. Consistently overhit the putts from the fringe expecting it take more momentum off of it. Got more comfortable with them by the end of the round at least.
I find that's part of the risk of putting from those kind of lies, sometimes it will roll true and other times it will hop straight up 2 inches and then roll about half as far.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:29 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny5k View Post
I find that's part of the risk of putting from those kind of lies, sometimes it will roll true and other times it will hop straight up 2 inches and then roll about half as far.
I almost always chip from the fringe, but I'm much better at chipping than putting in general. I suggest trying it out, but it's a preference thing.

And by chipping here I mean bump & run, except in a few weird circumstances.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackFan47 View Post
I almost always chip from the fringe, but I'm much better at chipping than putting in general. I suggest trying it out, but it's a preference thing.

And by chipping here I mean bump & run, except in a few weird circumstances.
Would you use an iron for that type of shot then?
Old 08-11-2014, 03:33 PM
CAS

Quote:
I use a 7 iron
Old 08-11-2014, 03:33 PM
CAS

Quote:
You should almost always chip with an iron, unless you have to hit a flop type shot, then use a wedge.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:14 PM
SOA

Went to a putting green and did just putting for an hour. Got a bit tedious, but I think it was worth it. Ended up completely changing my arm position from what it was before.

Used to do a
Code:
 |      |
 |      |
  \    /
    \/
(left arm on left, right arm on right)
type formation with my arms but found it really inconsistent for putting length.

Messed around for a while and ended up settling on something more like this
Code:
|  \
|   \
|   /
|  /
| /
In reality my left arm obviously goes in a little towards the middle of my body but it is a straight line there. That, in combination, with a change in hand pressure allowed me to find much more consistency overall. Obviously this is still up for change and want to practice it more. Hopefully I can go golfing again soon.

My best set of 10 was about a 20ish foot putt (still bad at guessing a distance to a number in my head), where I went 1,7,2 - where a comma means an increase in 1 putt. So I went 1 one putt, 7 two putts, and 2 three putts.

Last edited by dancran1220; 08-28-2014 at 04:20 PM..
Old 10-29-2014, 01:30 PM
SOA

Some updates...

Played only a couple times in the last 2 months. Think I've done 36 holes. Two days of 9 holes and one day of 18 holes.

Haven't improved over the summer really. My distance is definitely better when I hit it well compared to when I started this summer, but score is around the same. Last couple times I have played, I think it is has been 58 on 9, 119 on 18, and 62 on 9.

So still around 120 mark.

Was at Dicks the other day and was trying out some different putters. It felt alot smoother for me when I used the mallet style putters instead of the blade (my putter is a blade variation). What advice do you guys have for choosing a putter? Feel like it is really hard to distinguish notable differences/improvements at my level since I'm inconsistent to start out with.