Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 08-19-2019, 10:21 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

I just watched Rick Shiels' "Pitch Perfect" video series on YouTube. Pretty good advice on technique and logging our average distance with each wedge on full, 3/4 and half shots within a 100 yards. I need to try it out at the range this week.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:44 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!

I just found this out about the 2019 version of the FJ Pro SL compared to 2018:

Quote:
The changes that FootJoy made to the new Pro SL shoes are subtle, but frankly, they didn’t need to change much. Previous versions were extremely successful both on the PGA Tour and with consumers. No need to overhaul what’s already working so well. With that said, the changes to the stability (no “X”) and styling make for a really comfortable shoe that gives you confidence and performance on the course.
I think it's the "X" that makes me feel cramped on the side of the feet. I think I'll return the previous season shoes and wait for the current season ones to go on sale.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:07 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
I just found this out about the 2019 version of the FJ Pro SL compared to 2018:

I think it's the "X" that makes me feel cramped on the side of the feet. I think I'll return the previous season shoes and wait for the current season ones to go on sale.
Yeah, if you don't like them definitely return them. There are plenty of other manufacturers/models too of course.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:20 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Yeah, if you don't like them definitely return them. There are plenty of other manufacturers/models too of course.
I think 8W for last year or 8 for this year would be perfect for me. Also I think I'll stop buying shoes online unless I've tried the exact same model and size in person first. The "X" styling on last year's model made a difference for me.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:24 AM
SOA

Quote:
That's pretty good. I'll be playing my first 18-hole game this coming Saturday. How did you get good at your short game? I was trying to make half or three-quarter swings with my 9i and Pw, but I think that led to me coming over the top and screwing up my shots completely.
I checked my scorecard from last round last night and realized I got 8s on all 3 par 5s. Yikes!

I would not say I'm good at my short game

It's something I should spend wayyyy more time on but have been mainly relying on just playing in general to slowly improve beyond practicing putting after a range session.

As for your question on how to improve, it depends what you are trying to get better at. Green reading, distance/lag putting, finishing short putts, lob chips, bump and run chips, bunker shots, pitch shots, 3/4 swings, full swing wedges etc. The thing with "short game" is that it is very diverse.

I've tried all sorts of chipping techniques, but this year I've definitely had my most success chipping. My theme in the last year has been to simplify the swing. I got a Seemore putter where I put the ball in the center of my stance, cover the dot, and just focus on having a smooth stroke. In chipping (unless really bad/weird lie) I again put the ball near the middle of my stance, lock in my wrists, and focus on a smooth rotation to deliver the club. I used to try and chip without rotating much at all (primarily using my arms) and had very inconsistent results. Obviously all of these are very accessible to practice at most courses.

Bunker shots I had included in my original lesson before I ever played around. I'm not very good at them and have a tendency to hit them thin on my misses. In nice soft sand I have no issue at all with bunker shots typically, only the crustier/baked/wet/firm sand because I think to myself I need to catch it cleaner and end up not hitting any sand.

Pitch shots are fun, I really liked these and I use them a good bit on the course. They are also very helpful for keeping the ball lower and under branches when hitting back into a fairway. I also hate taking full wedge swings (with GW, SW, LW), so that is part of the reason. Say I'm 60-75 yards out with open access to the green (like in the neck of the fairway), I really like to take my PW and put the ball way at the front of my stance with a majority of my weight also on my front foot. Then you take a 1/2 - 3/4 swing and usually releases quite well and bounces along on the green. I do tend to pull these left a bit though, but generally get very consistent contact.

1/2 to 3/4 swings, my guess is that you are focusing so much on where you want your backswing to apex that you stop rotating your body with your shot. Been there done that for me. This is also why I've focused on rotation even on chip shots, just to take my arms out of the swing more and deliver more consistent ball contact.

Last edited by dancran1220; 08-20-2019 at 11:28 AM..
Old 08-20-2019, 11:45 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!

Quote:
I checked my scorecard from last round last night and realized I got 8s on all 3 par 5s. Yikes!

I would not say I'm good at my short game

It's something I should spend wayyyy more time on but have been mainly relying on just playing in general to slowly improve beyond practicing putting after a range session.

As for your question on how to improve, it depends what you are trying to get better at. Green reading, distance/lag putting, finishing short putts, lob chips, bump and run chips, bunker shots, pitch shots, 3/4 swings, full swing wedges etc. The thing with "short game" is that it is very diverse.

I've tried all sorts of chipping techniques, but this year I've definitely had my most success chipping. My theme in the last year has been to simplify the swing. I got a Seemore putter where I put the ball in the center of my stance, cover the dot, and just focus on having a smooth stroke. In chipping (unless really bad/weird lie) I again put the ball near the middle of my stance, lock in my wrists, and focus on a smooth rotation to deliver the club. I used to try and chip without rotating much at all (primarily using my arms) and had very inconsistent results. Obviously all of these are very accessible to practice at most courses.

Bunker shots I had included in my original lesson before I ever played around. I'm not very good at them and have a tendency to hit them thin on my misses. In nice soft sand I have no issue at all with bunker shots typically, only the crustier/baked/wet/firm sand because I think to myself I need to catch it cleaner and end up not hitting any sand.

Pitch shots are fun, I really liked these and I use them a good bit on the course. They are also very helpful for keeping the ball lower and under branches when hitting back into a fairway. I also hate taking full wedge swings (with GW, SW, LW), so that is part of the reason. Say I'm 60-75 yards out with open access to the green (like in the neck of the fairway), I really like to take my PW and put the ball way at the front of my stance with a majority of my weight also on my front foot. Then you take a 1/2 - 3/4 swing and usually releases quite well and bounces along on the green. I do tend to pull these left a bit though, but generally get very consistent contact.

1/2 to 3/4 swings, my guess is that you are focusing so much on where you want your backswing to apex that you stop rotating your body with your shot. Been there done that for me. This is also why I've focused on rotation even on chip shots, just to take my arms out of the swing more and deliver more consistent ball contact.
I agree that I'm probably not rotating my body. I read a book recently by Walter Ostroske called "Master Your Short Game in 16 Days." That book said that within a 100 yards, it is all arms, hands and shoulders; the hips should not move. I probably didn't move my shoulders while trying to follow that advice. Now I'll go with Rick Shiels' technique of tucking the arms with the body, and letting the arms follow the body rotation.

My biggest problem is coming up short within a 100 yards. I can hit my driver 200+ yards and my 5-hybrid 150+ yards, so it's really my approach shots that I need to work on. Putting is fine and so is chipping with my chipping iron.

I'm gonna pick up a used 19 degree Callaway X 5-wood (2006 model) for $20 on Thursday. Hopefully it will help bridge the gap between my 13 degree driver and my 25 degree 5-hybrid. I have a 20 degree Callaway Big Bertha War Bird 7-wood (1998 model) currently which isn't very consistent.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:53 AM
SOA

I've used this website for buying my Callaway XR 3W and 5W and they were in perfect condition when I got them for not too bad of a price. Has a recommend from me.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/
Old 08-20-2019, 12:20 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!

Quote:
I've used this website for buying my Callaway XR 3W and 5W and they were in perfect condition when I got them for not too bad of a price. Has a recommend from me.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/
Thanks. Do you find that it makes a difference carrying a 3W and a 5W? I just feel that at this point of my game, there isn't much difference when it comes to the distance I get from the two clubs. The 5W is also easier to hit for me.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:31 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Two generic points for short game:

1) For short pitches (<30 yards), imagine throwing the ball one handed with your dominant hand. That should be approximately how the swing mechanics (path, speed) should work.

2) For short chips (low runners inside of 20 yards), close the clubface and take a longer, lower backstroke. It reduces the likelihood of skulling/hitting it fat.

3) In short chips/pitches, and less than full swing shots, always focus on accelerating through the ball. It seems counterintuitive when you're trying to hit a less than full shot, but if you decelerate through the ball, you will get increased variance on how the ball gets struck. If you're hitting the ball too far, shorten your back swing, but maintain the acceleration on the downswing.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:49 PM
SOA

Quote:
Thanks. Do you find that it makes a difference carrying a 3W and a 5W? I just feel that at this point of my game, there isn't much difference when it comes to the distance I get from the two clubs. The 5W is also easier to hit for me.
I don't own a driver, so I use my 3W off the tee for a majority of holes. If I had a driver I was comfortable with I likely wouldn't use my 3W all too often as I prefer hitting my 5W off the deck instead of the 3W when the ball is in play.