Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-05-2019, 10:29 AM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Actuary View Post
Poor counting: Seems crazy, but people can't count. I've played with very good golfers, and at least once or twice per round I will notice a miscount...

...And unfortunately, sometimes I let other's impact my fun. "Oh you got a 101, ouch." (internal - actually a 101 on that course is a pretty good day. And by the way, your 96, was really a 106+)
if you're not playing them for money, lighten up. imo.

Quote:
...And the reason we were so slow was the old man. The other two had a sense of urgency/respect for others' time. He did not. The round took 5.5 hours.
nothing you can do about this. it happens all the time. I totally agree that it sucks, but there's nothing to be done except lighten up, don't let it bother you and just enjoy your time being outside with nothing else going on

Quote:
70-100 yards. This distance is giving me a lot of trouble. I used to be great at adjusting my swing to get the middle distances. When my torso was stable, if I just took the club less back/up I could reliably take the right distance off in this 70-100 zone. Now I can hit 105 with a full SW, and hit 60 and in with a "feel" shot. But 60-100 is giving me major problems. I guess I'm having trouble understanding how to hit a 80% shot that includes my torso rotation.
this is the biggest issue in my game too. if it's not a full swing, I struggle with the feel of a partial swing. a good tip I saw was on Rick Shiels youtube channel (I think it was him). he talked about having different length backswings with his wedges. with 3 wedges, and taking the club back to the 9 o'clock position, 11:00 and full backswing (or something like that), he basically has 9 known distances. I've been trying to incorporate that, but it's hard. ie, in theory my 48 degree wedge, taken back to about 10:00, should go 100 yards. but sometimes it goes 110, sometimes 85. I don't think there's much to be done here other than practice, practice and more practice
Old 09-05-2019, 10:31 AM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
Regarding out of bounds, can we hit the ball from the fairway of the next hole (If we can spot it there)? I'm guessing not, but I've seen people do it.
if you find your ball on the next fairway, it is likely not OB (unless there is a local course rule about that). OB is clearly marked with white stakes. what you have seen is just called playing the course your own way.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:32 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Quote:
Regarding out of bounds, can we hit the ball from the fairway of the next hole (If we can spot it there)? I'm guessing not, but I've seen people do it.
If you don't see white stakes indicating OB, then yes hit from wherever you like. Sometimes the scorecard will list course-specific OB areas (e.g. left of cart path on hole 2 is OB).

EDIT: ninja'd

Last edited by KS6392; 09-05-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Old 09-05-2019, 10:57 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
This is the biggest issue in my game too. if it's not a full swing, I struggle with the feel of a partial swing. a good tip I saw was on Rick Shiels youtube channel (I think it was him). he talked about having different length backswings with his wedges. with 3 wedges, and taking the club back to the 9 o'clock position, 11:00 and full backswing (or something like that), he basically has 9 known distances. I've been trying to incorporate that, but it's hard. ie, in theory my 48 degree wedge, taken back to about 10:00, should go 100 yards. but sometimes it goes 110, sometimes 85. I don't think there's much to be done here other than practice, practice and more practice
Yes it's Rick Shiels. I've been trying to follow his technique for pitching inside a 100 yards:

1) Stance slightly open
2) Arms tucked in at all times
Old 09-05-2019, 11:24 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Quote:
Re: Distance

Driver: I have not seen a significant improvement with my driver distances. This is perhaps the most surprising and most frustrating thing during this progression. I have hit drivers 350 yards. So I know I have the power to do so. I'm not trying to crush it, I know that's not the answer. But I would like to get a booming drive. And I'm disappointed that 15 yards on my PW didn't translate to 15 yards (or 30 yards) on my driver.

Gap wedge: At one point this was the best club in my bag. I would hit it for anything 100 and in (and only SW out of the sand). Before this last change it was a consistent, safe club for me. Now I have this hole in my bag/distances. I can't hit this club right. Same swing as the SW (reliably 100 with full swing) and PW (reliably 145, or mistakenly more). My gap wedge just won't get in line. Even when I feel like I hit it well it sometimes only goes 110. So I'm just confused by this club. Maybe it's just in my head.

Any help with these would be much appreciated.
I'm still a beginner and without looking at your swing, it may be hard to give specific advice. But here's a couple of general observations:

Driver: try slowing down your tempo at the driving range and see if that translates to longer distances. Also check that you're not gripping the club too strongly.

Gap wedge: you're supposed to stand closer to the ball compared to a PW and further from the ball compared to a SW. Same applies to how much you choke down on the club. Also, I'm assuming the lofts are progressive on your wedges (example, 46-48 degrees for PW, 50-52 for GW, 54-56 for SW).
Old 09-05-2019, 11:45 AM
SOA

Thanks for the brain dump, AA!

I'm basically a "3" on the scoring. I'm fine taking some liberties and acknowledging them on the scorecard.
- Usually allow myself 1 mulligan per round
- Drop where I think the ball went OB. To me it is unreasonable to not follow (double neg for the win) the "drop about where you went OB" because half the time you aren't sure if it is truly lost or not and it isn't like a PGA event where crowds of spectators can find your ball. Adhering to this would make rounds way longer.
- I cap myself at double par personally, happens one time in a round about half the time for me right now depending on the quality of the blow up.
- As for gimmes, when I play my normal playing partner we don't do gimmes at all but my work group is way over generous with them IMO
- The one thing I don't do is adjust the lie or miscount (at least I think ).

I'll work my way through the rest of your posts later.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:29 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Quote:
Specifically for OB, unless the area is marked off as OB (white stakes, usually) or a hazard, it's playable. There are times that playing through another fairway might be your best play. (Doesn't speak well to the course design, but it's still possible.)

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Re: Distance

Driver: I have not seen a significant improvement with my driver distances. This is perhaps the most surprising and most frustrating thing during this progression. I have hit drivers 350 yards. So I know I have the power to do so. I'm not trying to crush it, I know that's not the answer. But I would like to get a booming drive. And I'm disappointed that 15 yards on my PW didn't translate to 15 yards (or 30 yards) on my driver.

3H: At one point in my golf career this was my best club. I would hit it reliability out of the rough when my irons were terrible. Now I almost never hit it. It has become much less consistent for me than my longer irons. Maybe this is just a confidence thing, but I almost never hit it.

Gap wedge: At one point this was the best club in my bag. I would hit it for anything 100 and in (and only SW out of the sand). Before this last change it was a consistent, safe club for me. Now I have this hole in my bag/distances. I can't hit this club right. Same swing as the SW (reliably 100 with full swing) and PW (reliably 145, or mistakenly more). My gap wedge just won't get in line. Even when I feel like I hit it well it sometimes only goes 110. So I'm just confused by this club. Maybe it's just in my head.

70-100 yards. This distance is giving me a lot of trouble. I used to be great at adjusting my swing to get the middle distances. When my torso was stable, if I just took the club less back/up I could reliably take the right distance off in this 70-100 zone. Now I can hit 105 with a full SW, and hit 60 and in with a "feel" shot. But 60-100 is giving me major problems. I guess I'm having trouble understanding how to hit a 80% shot that includes my torso rotation.

Any help with these would be much appreciated.
Can't speak too much on Driver distances. Best guesses are that you are sacrificing distance and roll out with your swing type (higher ball flight, fading, probably higher spin rate) that has more impact on driver distances than irons.

Never hitting the 3h causes a pretty lengthy gap in your bag on the high end (I like to think of it as 1i to 5i). So you are basically Driver or 5i off the tee? I guess with the distance of your 5i it isn't that big of a deal, but if you ever do figure out the driver distances I think that gap will be much more noticeable. Finding a 3h, long iron, or 5w that fits in that gap would probably make sense, but I don't see it as incredibly urgent due to your 5i distance which will be good for most courses.

I also am uncomfortable with my gap wedge. I was happy to finally get one when I got my iron set a couple years ago but then never felt comfortable hitting it like my PW or 9i. I rarely pull it out, only when I'm really in the exact yardage it makes sense (like 95) otherwise I prefer using my PW with some variation of swing (PW normally 115). Basically I don't like taking full swings with my GW, SW, LW. I think part of it is I'm about your height (6'1") and use normal length clubs, and man when I get down to the GW and SW my stance feels so awkward for full swings. I think I would feel better with my GW if I got it lengthened about half an inch. Not sure why it isn't gapping correctly for you though, especially since you are comfortable with the club and taking full swings with all your wedges.

I loveeeee 70-80 yards. I do a pitch shot with my PW. I put the ball very forward in my stance, put most of my pressure on the lead leg/foot and do a smooth 3/4 PW. Basically like I would setup for a punch shot. I'm usually very accurate with this technique with my main miss being a pull due to the change in stance resulting in my coming across the ball. I find it very easy to catch the ball extremely clean. Consider trying this technique out. It may make more sense for you to try it with a GW with your distances, but try both. As you kind of hint at, these kind of "feel" shots are ones that typically require a combination of experimentation with swings and then just repetition until you feel comfortable and honed in with them.

Another question for you would be what is the tempo of your swing? I think having a slow, stable, and steady backswing will help with consistency as you work on "80%" feeler shots.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Re: Clubs

My clubs are about 10 years old. They were probably good, but not great clubs at the time. They were not fitted for me. My driver shaft is stiff. With how much I've been playing (and my better financial situation), I am thinking about getting some new clubs, that are fitted to me, fitted to my playing style, etc.

Thoughts on this? One note on "fitted to my playing style", and this was true for my lessons, too, is that I don't want something that corrects/helps my existing swing, but rather something that builds the right foundation for an eventual excellent golfer. I want to lay foundation for a high upside, rather than work around any current skill level.
Yeah it could be time. Could always start by tweaking the high end of the bag before opting for a fully fitted iron set replacement. One note on iron replacements though - always look up the degree of loft and offset on the irons rather than just assuming 6i = 6i for all brands, as they can be off multiple degrees of loft. For instance many newer game improvement irons are quite strong to help newer players hit it farther, whereas high end Mizuno irons (just an example) are not lofted as strongly because it all about distance control and club quality. I think the main thing you would want out of a club fitting is adjusting for your physical metrics then. Things like grip size, shaft length, shaft stiffness, and adjusting the club head lie based more on standardized physical metrics. Have someone carefully measure you for the Ping color code chart, it is a good basis to start from if the measurements are done correctly (consider having more than 1 person do it). At 6'2" with your distances, I'm guessing you would want somewhere in the range of 0.5 - 1 in longer shafts on clubs, probably with stiff flex, and bending the lie angle a couple degrees upright. The grip size (tape wraps underneath the grip) is more personal preference and is best matched up by the fitter or employee giving you examples of various tape wraps and just letting you feel out what feels best.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
if you're not playing them for money, lighten up. imo.
Understood. The point was just that I let the inconsistent scoring, then comparisons bother me. I care less that I lost, or that someone is better than me, it just bothers me when someone is sitting there thinking they are 5 strokes better than me when that is not the case. I really don't let it bother me that much.

Quote:
nothing you can do about this. it happens all the time. I totally agree that it sucks, but there's nothing to be done except lighten up, don't let it bother you and just enjoy your time being outside with nothing else going on
Generally agreed. I could say something to him. Make some passive-aggressive comments about "ready golf" (e.g., to a third member of our party - "you go ahead, if you're ready"). Or even direct comments about the pace of play. But mostly I just let it go.

Two more comments on pace:

In California I have noticed that essentially no courses have a marshall driving around. In Chicago-land there were marshalls driving around on most courses. These would check distances between groups and encourage people to keep up with those ahead of them. Not sure why this isn't common practice in CA, but I think it makes a big difference.

Also, I struggle with this. Part of me wants to just enjoy the time, and not be stressed about when I'm finishing. But if I'm (1) skipping time with my family to play or (2) skipping out early on work to play, I am cognizant that I could/should be doing something else, and therefore am not casual about the amount of time it takes. I'm definitely not the guy breathing down the next group's neck, because I hate when that happens to me.

Quote:
this is the biggest issue in my game too. if it's not a full swing, I struggle with the feel of a partial swing. a good tip I saw was on Rick Shiels youtube channel (I think it was him). he talked about having different length backswings with his wedges. with 3 wedges, and taking the club back to the 9 o'clock position, 11:00 and full backswing (or something like that), he basically has 9 known distances. I've been trying to incorporate that, but it's hard. ie, in theory my 48 degree wedge, taken back to about 10:00, should go 100 yards. but sometimes it goes 110, sometimes 85. I don't think there's much to be done here other than practice, practice and more practice
My problem is that I used to be able to do this well. When I kept my torso stable, I would go back to say 10 o'clock to get 80% of the distance. And I was good at that. Had the distances down. I still do that from 60 yards and in, though it is more on feel, to be fair. But the distances that are just below a full swing in length, I am having real trouble with the 90%/80%/70% adjustments.