Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-23-2019, 12:30 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Thanks guys. I read on Walter Ostroske's book "Break 100 in 21 Days" that the pressure points should be the last three fingers of our left hand and the thumb and forefinger of the right hand, so that the two hands act as one. I'll check the book again and also Ben Hogan's book today. It's annoying to see different instructors giving different types of advice. At the end of the day, I guess we gotta figure out what works for us.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:25 PM
SOA

Got hit with a 48 hour virus at the end of the last week, so didn't get any golf in this past weekend. Bunch of golf on the horizon though!
Old 09-23-2019, 02:53 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
Thanks guys. I read on Walter Ostroske's book "Break 100 in 21 Days" that the pressure points should be the last three fingers of our left hand and the thumb and forefinger of the right hand, so that the two hands act as one. I'll check the book again and also Ben Hogan's book today. It's annoying to see different instructors giving different types of advice. At the end of the day, I guess we gotta figure out what works for us.
Along with the others, I would advocate for taking out the dominant hand's thumb and index finger out of equation. What worked for me early one as a compromise between too much right hand and none at all is keeping the side of the right thumb on the shaft, while holding the right index like a trigger on a gun. Full disclosure, though - I did (and do) tend to have a strong (placement, not force) left-hand grip. Trigger grip allowed me to counteract that a little.

(Right-hand side of image)

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:56 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Got hit with a 48 hour virus at the end of the last week, so didn't get any golf in this past weekend. Bunch of golf on the horizon though!
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can get back to the course soon enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat? View Post
Along with the others, I would advocate for taking out the dominant hand's thumb and index finger out of equation. What worked for me early one as a compromise between too much right hand and none at all is keeping the side of the right thumb on the shaft, while holding the right index like a trigger on a gun. Full disclosure, though - I did (and do) tend to have a strong (placement, not force) left-hand grip. Trigger grip allowed me to counteract that a little.

(Right-hand side of image)
Thanks!

So I just looked at Ben Hogan's book and he definitely says to apply pressure with the middle and the ring finger. He says using the thumb and the index finger will activate muscles that we don't want to activate during a golf swing.

Unfortunately, here is what Walter Ostroske's book on breaking 100 says: "The thumb and forefinger grip the club very, very firmly. The other three fingers hold the club lightly."
Old 09-24-2019, 09:24 AM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

I guess that using the thumb and forefinger will promote a closed club face and help beginners that slice the ball. Hogan fought a hook and thus didn't need any help closing the club face. I also fight a hook so using Hogan's grip has definitely helped my game.

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:40 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Gambler View Post
I guess that using the thumb and forefinger will promote a closed club face and help beginners that slice the ball. Hogan fought a hook and thus didn't need any help closing the club face. I also fight a hook so using Hogan's grip has definitely helped my game.
Interesting, I didn't think of it that way.

I really like the book "Practical Golf" so far. It explains things in a scientific way which means I can be my own instructor in some sense. I can look at my ball flight and adjust my swing path/club face/grip accordingly. I remember when I took a lesson at the beginning of the season to cure my slice. The instructor held a club horizontally on top of my head and told me not to touch that club. Now I understand that he was helping me avoid an outside-in swing line.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:43 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Default Putting

I'm wondering if I've been putting properly…

I read in "Practical Golf" that the putting stroke is supposed to be in an arc and not straight through.

I have a center-shafted putter that I got after reading the book "Break 100 in 90 Days." The book said that if you're a right-arm dominant putter, then get a center-shafted putter.

Now I'm reading from some sources that for a center-shafted putter the stroke is straight through.

Anybody have any insights about this? Anyone ever got fitted for their putter?
Old 09-26-2019, 10:15 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Default Headcovers

Hey guys,

Just wanted to quickly check if I've been doing it right for headcovers. I take them off before a round and put them back on after cleaning my clubs at the end of the round. Is this what we're supposed to do? Or do you take them off before a shot and put them back on after hitting the ball?
Old 09-26-2019, 10:18 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
Hey guys,

Just wanted to quickly check if I've been doing it right for headcovers. I take them off before a round and put them back on after cleaning my clubs at the end of the round. Is this what we're supposed to do? Or do you take them off before a shot and put them back on after hitting the ball?

It’s just personal preference. Obviously if walking the course, you have to put them back on after each shot. But usually I just take them all off before my first shot of the round and put them in the cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2019, 10:51 AM
It's a funny name.

Agreed that it's entirely personal preference.

If I'm in a power cart, I will usually leave my driver cover in the basket for the whole round. Otherwise, the covers are on at all times unless I'm using that club. I have covers on my irons as well (I don't like hearing them bang together). Only 2 of my wedges are exempt from head covers.

My routine is: choose my club, put the head cover in my back pocket, take the shot, clean the club with a towel (and one of THESE first if necessary), put the club cover back on, put the club away.