Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:45 AM
SOA

I played one round before the pandemic shut things down back in March. Haven't swung a club since. Have plans to walk 9 with an uncle of mine next week. Probably will try and make it to the driving range before that so I'm not completely rusty. I haven't been exercising or stretching much at all during this stay at home time so I'm actually a bit worried about my form this year. Think it is likely I'll be back around 100-105 avg unless I really get things going, but we will see.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:37 PM
It's a funny name.

my area is doing quite well COVID related, so golf courses opened up a couple weeks ago with some modified rules. I've gone twice and plan to go again next weekend.

so far so good. I have a new driver (Taylormade M6) and it's working amazingly. I also have the matching 5W, and that club is definitely NOT going amazing. I've hit it probably 6 times in 2 rounds. 2 of those were absolute beauties (dead straight and 240-250 yards), while 3 of those were power hooks into the trees, resulting in a lost ball.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:27 PM
Non-Actuary

Well other sports I participate in are pretty much canned for the summer, so golf will be my thing!

I played a bunch when I was in high school with my Dad. Since, I play a handful of times during the summer on a good year.

First round out was an 88, followed by 87. I've played a few quick 9's this week to the tune of 42 and 44. Playing a harder course (18 holes) tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn. Can't wait!

My clubs are mostly from my high school days, minus the driver and wedge. The irons fit just fine, and I really enjoy using my fairway woods. I am not a huge fan of my driver at 10.5 degrees. I think I would favor a lower launch angle. Any suggestions? Turd, what is so great about the M6?

I've been shopping around for wedges too, have my Dad's old one and it is a little rough.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:46 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Played my first round of the season yesterday and shot a 119. Generally very pleased with my hitting, if anything I need to take my time more with each swing. Ditched the driver off the tee for my 5W after the driver cost me 10 penalty points. 41 putts in total.

I started a 6-week "Break 100" course given by MeAndMyGolf this week. The first week's drills helped a lot: basically taking three mini swings with correct form and then two full swings. Hopefully I can decrease my scores by 5 shots every week.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:33 PM

Third weekend in a row playing. Shot 97 (46,51). So I've shot 102,98,97 since coming back. Coincidentally 6 out of bounds shots in each round. Feeling really good* because other than some consistency issues, I am striking the ball really, really well. Striping my driver 240-280, straight, many, many times. Really striking well with my irons and getting great distance since making a new adjustment about a year ago. PW a solid 145, 5i even in the 200+, 210+ range. And hitting the ball straight with good flight path. Just need to eliminate the out of bounds shots.

I used to have trouble with being out of bounds off the tee. Like, if it was findable, I was happy (I still feel this way after every shot with my driver, but now it is almost every time). My out of bounds shots have less often been errant drives. In fact I have many "FO"s in my scorecard, meaning I hit the fairway, then hit it out of bounds! I also had at least one OB in each round where I just overdrove the playable fairway. 270 bomb, straight away. Didn't get the slight fade I need to hold the dog-leg. So overall feeling good.

One area I'm struggling with is my <140 distances. I've brought this up earlier in the thread, but it continues to be a problem. I used to hit my SW, GW, PW 75/105/125, and was very, very good at adjusting from those distances to hit everything 125 and under. Since I made an adjustment to my swing that has added distance to my shots (very, very happy about this change), I am now struggling with "taking anything off". I now hit these clubs 100/120/145, but have a hard time doing anything else. Multiple times this Sunday I was sitting at 135 yards, and flew the green with my PW (150+ and OB in a couple of cases). It's like I can only hit the club 100% or the old way, so either 145 or 125-. So what do I do for 135?

*I feel really good, BUT - this is the big one. I have golfer's elbow. It's pretty bad. It started coming on about a year ago when I made that change. Though the change had nothing to do with my arm mechanics (it was torso focused). But in any case, it got bad when I was playing often (~1 p/w), then it started to manifest itself in other things (when I would play other sports or do certain things at home). I tried resting it. I tried stretching it. I tried strengthening it. I tried rehabbing it. It would get better and worse over the course of the year, but never really go away. Then I didn't play sports or do anything else that strained it for 2 months (thanks COVID!), and I still felt twinges over that time. And now that I'm back golfing, it is bad again. Ugh. Doing some googling, but if anyone has experience with this, would appreciate some help.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:38 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

i played twice this spring. 4 weeks ago I shot 41 for 9 (+6). Not a long course, but I hadn't swung a club since labor day. Carded a 7 on par 5 #9 after being pin high off the green in 2.

went out Friday and shot 85 on same course (41/44). Steady as heck the whole way.

I should golf less and less - I keep getting better. Mainly my chipping didn't fail me as much. Irons are getting better with distance prediction but still not accurate enough to land on green when I want from 125+ out. this is my plateau I figure.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:51 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Actuary View Post
One area I'm struggling with is my <140 distances. I've brought this up earlier in the thread, but it continues to be a problem. I used to hit my SW, GW, PW 75/105/125, and was very, very good at adjusting from those distances to hit everything 125 and under. Since I made an adjustment to my swing that has added distance to my shots (very, very happy about this change), I am now struggling with "taking anything off". I now hit these clubs 100/120/145, but have a hard time doing anything else. Multiple times this Sunday I was sitting at 135 yards, and flew the green with my PW (150+ and OB in a couple of cases). It's like I can only hit the club 100% or the old way, so either 145 or 125-. So what do I do for 135?
Have you considered taking half or three-quarter swings? Thanks to the Week 1 lessons of my Break 100 course, I have become confident in shots within 60 yards cause I can take a mini swing (club shaft comes waist height) and the ball would travel 60 yards straight.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:16 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

it is a challenge to use less than a full swing for a lot of people. So, can you choke down on the grip 1-2 inches on the 145 club? I use that for shots "between" the distances.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Actuary View Post
*I feel really good, BUT - this is the big one. I have golfer's elbow. It's pretty bad. It started coming on about a year ago when I made that change. Though the change had nothing to do with my arm mechanics (it was torso focused). But in any case, it got bad when I was playing often (~1 p/w), then it started to manifest itself in other things (when I would play other sports or do certain things at home). I tried resting it. I tried stretching it. I tried strengthening it. I tried rehabbing it. It would get better and worse over the course of the year, but never really go away. Then I didn't play sports or do anything else that strained it for 2 months (thanks COVID!), and I still felt twinges over that time. And now that I'm back golfing, it is bad again. Ugh. Doing some googling, but if anyone has experience with this, would appreciate some help.

Sounds like you have more severe elbow pain than I had. Mine only seemed to flare up with golf, and particularly when practicing with my wedges (head-heavy Clevelands). Based on some research and testimonials, I completely eliminated my elbow pain by switching from steel to graphite shafts. (That was also a good excuse to buy new irons and wedges). Went with Recoil 95ís in 5 iron through 58 degree wedge. My driver, 3w, and hybrids already had various graphite shafts. Been playing a lot, as my course never closed. Zero elbow pain, and I love my new clubs!
Old 06-02-2020, 11:05 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!

By the way, I played with my new FootJoy Pro SL (size 8W) shoes the other day and for the first time ever I did not experience foot pain after walking 4 miles.