Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Pension - Social Security
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

View Poll Results: Should I maintain my EA?
Yes, keep it active at all times 2 18.18%
Let it slip to inactive and renew it every six years 3 27.27%
No, you aren't using it, get rid of it 4 36.36%
42 hours of credit 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2020, 08:28 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermax View Post
I'm in a slightly similar situation , a bit of procrastination combined with the fact that ASPPA didn't offer any regional "formal" conferences in the New England area , primarily Boston, during the last 3 years of the EA cycle just ended ,
That's not correct, they had a 6 hour session October 31:
https://www.asppa.org/about/abcs/new-england/programs

It was - not to put too fine a point on it - terrible. But it got me the formal credits I needed. They usually do a half day one in the spring and a full day one in the fall.

And to be clear, when you catch up on your credits, those will apply to the prior 3 year term. If you get all of your credits done in 2022, that will make you an EA through the end of 2022, but not for the next cycle.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:31 PM
SOA

Just got this from the SOA

Quote:
Dear SOA Members,

We regret to inform you that, effective March 1, 2020, the Society of Actuaries (SOA) will cancel the Distance Learning for Pension Actuaries program. This decision was reached due to low enrollment numbers in the program.

Please note that the SOA will no longer offer EA credits for recorded webcasts or sessions, but members will still be able to earn EA credit for applicable live events. Members may earn continuing professional development credit for recorded webcasts or sessions per the SOA Continuing Professional Development requirements.

Please reach out to Lisa Collins with any questions you have about this matter.

Sincerely,

The SOA Distance Learning for Pension Actuaries Team
I'm not surprised they had few takers. It was very expensive and very confusing and hard to use (I'm just in a complaining mood tonight) But still, it's a bit ridiculous that the SOA doesn't offer EA credits online.

I don't know why they had to charge so much. Does the IRS charge them for the right to give out EA credits?
Old 02-18-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
And to be clear, when you catch up on your credits, those will apply to the prior 3 year term. If you get all of your credits done in 2022, that will make you an EA through the end of 2022, but not for the next cycle.
Not sure I understand what you're saying - here's how I read the regs - if an EA completes the required credits by 12/31/2019 , then he/she starts 2020 on the active roster and can continue to practice - there is a provision however that allows the EA who hasn't completed the credits by the end of the enrollment cycle to complete the credits before 4/1/2020 , submit an application for reenrollment, and then be informed by the Executive Director before 4/1/2020 that the enrollment has been renewed - the upshot is that the EA stays on the active roster as of 4/1/2020 - otherwise the EA is placed on the inactive roster effective 4/1/2020 .

Check out my other post that describes the rules for getting back on the active roster after being put on the inactive roster effective 4/1/2020 - in brief you return to active status after completing 36 credits and by completing another 36 before 12/31/2022 you'll start 2023 as an EA and the 3 year cycle starts all over again .
Old 02-19-2020, 10:11 AM
SOA

Quote:
there is a provision however that allows the EA who hasn't completed the credits by the end of the enrollment cycle to complete the credits before 4/1/2020 , submit an application for reenrollment, and then be informed by the Executive Director before 4/1/2020 that the enrollment has been renewed
OK, I'll take your word on that

Quote:
Check out my other post that describes the rules for getting back on the active roster after being put on the inactive roster effective 4/1/2020 - in brief you return to active status after completing 36 credits and by completing another 36 before 12/31/2022 you'll start 2023 as an EA and the 3 year cycle starts all over again .
Yes I think I agree, so if you do 36 credits all in December 2020 (for example) you are then an active EA through the end of 2022, but should also do another 36 credits before the end of 2022 to stay active through 2025.

In my first post I had hoped you could do 36 hours during 2020-2022 which would get you active again starting in 2023, essentially paying half price, but I'm pretty sure I was wrong.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post

I'm going inactive next cycle but expect I'll be going back to active sometime in the 2020-2022 cycle, and I'll need some quick non-formal credits to reapply.
If you go inactive at the beginning of this current cycle , keep in mind that you'll need 36 credits to get back on the active roster and then another 36 to fulfill the requirement of the cycle - and each set of 36 has to consist of the usual blend of credits ; credits earned in the cycle ending 12/31/19 may be used for that first 36 but not the second .
Old 02-20-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post

In my first post I had hoped you could do 36 hours during 2020-2022 which would get you active again starting in 2023, essentially paying half price, but I'm pretty sure I was wrong.
The above is true if you satisfied the requirements for re-enrollment at the end of the prior cycle , i.e. 12/31/19 - if not , then you would need two sets of 36 , one set to return you to active status and then another set to fulfill the normal requirements of the cycle ending 12/31/2022 .

BTW your original post was in 2018 and so what did you decide about keeping the EA credential ?
Old 02-20-2020, 03:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
BTW your original post was in 2018 and so what did you decide about keeping the EA credential ?
Kept it. Actex was what got made me finish it. They were affordable and actually about interesting subjects.

SOA credits were really tough to work with. That said, I'm disappointed they don't seem to be offering them anymore, that's something they should do for their members.

Unless something changes, I'll probably go inactive next cycle.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:44 PM

Congrats on getting the credits and staying active for awhile - I'll have to keep Actex in mind going forward , they use to be headquartered here in Winsted, CT. for many years under various leaders - looks like Steve Camilli was their recent President but is now with UCONN .

I like ASPPA for getting credits - they use to regularly have a Boston regional meeting , went to it in 2016 and it was 14 formal credits and an easy drive from CT - no flight , no hotel , it was great but like I said earlier they didn't do this regional during the past cycle - their webcasts are great , good topics and lots of core & non-core .
Old 02-21-2020, 02:59 PM
SOA

Quote:
I like ASPPA for getting credits - they use to regularly have a Boston regional meeting , went to it in 2016 and it was 14 formal credits and an easy drive from CT - no flight , no hotel , it was great but like I said earlier they didn't do this regional during the past cycle - their webcasts are great , good topics and lots of core & non-core .
As I said above, they usually do a half day in the spring and a full day in the fall. They hold this just west of Boston, easy for you to get here and back from CT and plenty of credits.

https://www.asppa.org/about/abcs/new-england/programs
Old 02-21-2020, 03:07 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
If you go inactive at the beginning of this current cycle , keep in mind that you'll need 36 credits to get back on the active roster and then another 36 to fulfill the requirement of the cycle - and each set of 36 has to consist of the usual blend of credits ; credits earned in the cycle ending 12/31/19 may be used for that first 36 but not the second .
Yes, I know. I'm going inactive this cycle, and if my employer wants me to keep it, I'll be going to the EA meeting and filling in the gaps with other online trainings through the resources mentioned on here, then continue attending the EA meetings annually to meet the requirements going forward.