Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Retirement Benefits Track > Retirement Plan Investment and Risk Management Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-21-2019, 03:21 PM
CAS SOA ASPPA

College: UCLA
Favorite beer: Corona

Hi AO,

I'll be sitting for this test too. Can't wait to bounce questions off each other. I def got a lot of value from the DA thread in the Fall.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:19 PM
SOA

Going out on maternity leave in a few weeks but seriously considering multi-tasking. Need to do some serious research on whether or not it's possible to pass this exam with two under two.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:46 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlxsugarbearxlx View Post
Going out on maternity leave in a few weeks but seriously considering multi-tasking. Need to do some serious research on whether or not it's possible to pass this exam with two under two.
I don't have children so I can't offer any advice, but some parents offered up their experiences in this thread last year.

Either way, good luck!
Old 01-24-2019, 07:52 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCobb View Post
I don't have children so I can't offer any advice, but some parents offered up their experiences in this thread last year.

Either way, good luck!
Thanks so much!
Old 02-04-2019, 04:46 PM

College: Emory Alumni

Quote:
I had no direct investments experience - only some conceptual experience when it came to liability driven investments - and I managed to pass RPIRM on the first attempt with a 10 last spring. Since you were able to tackle DA, I have no doubt you'll have no trouble with RPIRM. There are only 3 learning objectives, as opposed to the 9 on DA.

Good luck!
CrispyCobb -- PLEASE SHARE YOUR SECRET!

I have struggled with the written exams -- took me 4 tries for D&A, and I'm on #3 sitting for RPIRM (I spent about 200 hours studying the first time and 300 the second). I'd say I am a smart person, if you don't count my track record on actuarial exams.

I used the Edge for D&A, but found his summaries/QBS really confusing. I ended up making my own summaries.

I started with Edge for RPIRM, and also read the source material and made my own summaries... but that didn't do the job. So I just bought the PAK (Online Seminar) for this sitting. I plan to use it in conjunction with going back through the source material and my own summaries.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:38 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
CrispyCobb -- PLEASE SHARE YOUR SECRET!

I have struggled with the written exams -- took me 4 tries for D&A, and I'm on #3 sitting for RPIRM (I spent about 200 hours studying the first time and 300 the second). I'd say I am a smart person, if you don't count my track record on actuarial exams.

I used the Edge for D&A, but found his summaries/QBS really confusing. I ended up making my own summaries.

I started with Edge for RPIRM, and also read the source material and made my own summaries... but that didn't do the job. So I just bought the PAK (Online Seminar) for this sitting. I plan to use it in conjunction with going back through the source material and my own summaries.
Part of it was luck. I managed to predict the topics of 3 of the 6 questions.

Based on recent past exams, I noticed a trend of asking about alternative assets, but they hadn't asked about infrastructure yet. That turned out to be question 1.

Since key rate duration was added for fall 2017/spring 2018 but wasn't tested during the fall 2017 sitting, I figured it would definitely be tested during the spring 2018 sitting. That turned out to be question 3.

A lot of the readings focused on the financial economics perspective so I drilled that a lot. That turned out to be question 4.

In memorizing the QBS, I handwrote everything. I also supplemented the flashcards with my own if I felt topics weren't covered satisfactorily. I think I memorized about 90-95% of the flashcards.

The weekend before the exam, I rearranged the QBS and typed up my own consolidated notes based on topic:
  • risk management framework
  • asset-only perspective vs. asset-liability perspective
  • manager selection and performance evaluation
  • administration, prudent practices, and regulations
  • public plans
  • financial economics

Reorganizing and typing everything up really helped me synthesize the concepts. I ended up with 68 pages that I was able to quickly flip through the morning of the exam as review.

It sounds like you're doing everything right, and I bet integrating the PAK seminar will help solidify everything for you. I'm bummed Bell doesn't offer PAK materials for DA. Just keep at it and stay positive - third time's a charm!

Last edited by CrispyCobb; 02-06-2019 at 07:41 PM..
Old 02-07-2019, 01:53 PM
SOA

Studying for FAC

In the Edge Manual for D&A, Ryan broke the materials up into maybe 10-20 topics and then gave the percentage of each exam that was based on each topic. This was really helpful for my studies as it helped me to focus my time on the bigger topics and not worry about the smaller topics as much.

I can't seem to find it in the manual for RPIRM. Am I just blind or is it really not in there? If so, does anyone have any insights to share on what the bigger topics or more important QBS's are?
Old 02-07-2019, 03:22 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmymath View Post
In the Edge Manual for D&A, Ryan broke the materials up into maybe 10-20 topics and then gave the percentage of each exam that was based on each topic. This was really helpful for my studies as it helped me to focus my time on the bigger topics and not worry about the smaller topics as much.

I can't seem to find it in the manual for RPIRM. Am I just blind or is it really not in there? If so, does anyone have any insights to share on what the bigger topics or more important QBS's are?
In my Spring 2018 manual, the first page of the Practice Problems section breaks down the past 8 exams into 4 broad categories
  • fiduciary / governance
  • management of plan assets / investments
  • financial economics
  • risk management

I also purchased the exam cheat sheet to see which specific readings were regularly tested and then tied them to the QBS.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:15 AM

College: Emory Alumni

Quote:
Part of it was luck. I managed to predict the topics of 3 of the 6 questions.

Based on recent past exams, I noticed a trend of asking about alternative assets, but they hadn't asked about infrastructure yet. That turned out to be question 1.

Since key rate duration was added for fall 2017/spring 2018 but wasn't tested during the fall 2017 sitting, I figured it would definitely be tested during the spring 2018 sitting. That turned out to be question 3.

A lot of the readings focused on the financial economics perspective so I drilled that a lot. That turned out to be question 4.

In memorizing the QBS, I handwrote everything. I also supplemented the flashcards with my own if I felt topics weren't covered satisfactorily. I think I memorized about 90-95% of the flashcards.

The weekend before the exam, I rearranged the QBS and typed up my own consolidated notes based on topic:
  • risk management framework
  • asset-only perspective vs. asset-liability perspective
  • manager selection and performance evaluation
  • administration, prudent practices, and regulations
  • public plans
  • financial economics

Reorganizing and typing everything up really helped me synthesize the concepts. I ended up with 68 pages that I was able to quickly flip through the morning of the exam as review.

It sounds like you're doing everything right, and I bet integrating the PAK seminar will help solidify everything for you. I'm bummed Bell doesn't offer PAK materials for DA. Just keep at it and stay positive - third time's a charm!
CrispyCobb - thank you!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:00 AM
SOA

ok yeah i'm not sure where i found that LMAO.
ended up going with edge, will probably supplement with PAK. tbd

EDIT: i was looking at the exam aid not the actual study manual. Oops!

Last edited by mel.fel; 02-20-2019 at 02:39 PM..