Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 06-25-2019, 11:30 AM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 100,291
Default

I know some people who didn't allow their kids to read the "Harry Potter" book series because it was about magic.
Not sure if they were allowed to see the movies, though. Or read "Magic Treehouse" or watch "Magic Schoolbus." I'm guessing not.
__________________
"Facebook is a toilet." -- LWTwJO

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-25-2019, 11:32 AM
Jasper07734's Avatar
Jasper07734 Jasper07734 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I know some people who didn't allow their kids to read the "Harry Potter" book series because it was about magic.
Weren't there book burnings of it too in some places?
__________________
The revAOlution will be complete when the language is perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
I was thinking [that the AO is] more like Pocket Pool: You think you're driving your point home hard, until you realize that you're really only busting your own balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by William F. Buckley, Jr.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.
Spoiler:

s9; BS2; EC (not that EC); j6; A; W; TDA; CG; BB; TR; TG; A;
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-25-2019, 12:01 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 100,291
Default

Probably.
They should know that the ashes of these books will reform into the exact same books. With a few typo's, of course. Not even magic is perfect.
__________________
"Facebook is a toilet." -- LWTwJO

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Vorian Atreides's Avatar
Vorian Atreides Vorian Atreides is offline
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: As far as 3 cups of sugar will take you
Studying for CSPA
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers
Posts: 68,482
Default

FTR, I am not superstitious.


I'm only a little stitious.
__________________
I find your lack of faith disturbing

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!


Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 100,291
Default

When you believe in things
That you don't understand,
Then you suffer,
Superstition ain't the way,
__________________
"Facebook is a toilet." -- LWTwJO

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-25-2019, 12:34 PM
TheGillotine's Avatar
TheGillotine TheGillotine is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 42,672
Default

I have met someone who thought all Disney movies were Satanic.
__________________
Spoiler:
There is no dark side of the moon, really...
As a matter of fact it's all dark.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Tarot Actuary Tarot Actuary is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGillotine View Post
Superstition is used for religious beliefs you dont share. Fairies are a superstition, but evil magic sex demons are part of true religion.
This is well put.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-25-2019, 01:03 PM
Tarot Actuary Tarot Actuary is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGillotine View Post
I have met someone who thought all Disney movies were Satanic.
If I remember correctly, in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond," Kit gets in trouble for making a skit out of a Bible story for her young students, because any kind of "play acting" was of the devil.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-25-2019, 01:15 PM
TheGillotine's Avatar
TheGillotine TheGillotine is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 42,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarot Actuary View Post
If I remember correctly, in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond," Kit gets in trouble for making a skit out of a Bible story for her young students, because any kind of "play acting" was of the devil.
That's pretty intense, but my great-great-grandfather refused to play any card games except for Rook because traditional cards were satanic.
__________________
Spoiler:
There is no dark side of the moon, really...
As a matter of fact it's all dark.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-25-2019, 01:18 PM
ARTS ARTS is offline
Official Reef Pastor
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGillotine View Post
That's pretty intense, but my great-great-grandfather refused to play any card games except for Rook because traditional cards were satanic.
My granny was the same. She didn't hold with drinkin', smokin', cussin', card playin', or women who dress like hussies. Surprisingly fun to hang around, for all that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.42332 seconds with 9 queries