Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 08-01-2019, 11:08 AM
CAS

What doesn't make sense about her response? The right of passage responses didn't make sense to me.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:17 AM
CAS SOA

I haven't always agreed with Mary Frances Miller's positions in the past, but I thought this was spot-on:
Quote:
I have strongly advocated for many years for examinations that don't emphasize response speed over reasoning ability. We do our potential members a disservice when we consistently administer exams that cannot be completed by most candidates within the time allowed. I am certain that we have missed out on very good actuaries who have given up on membership because of the process and not because of their ability.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:45 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
What doesn't make sense about her response? The right of passage responses didn't make sense to me.
I think I understand those, I just don't really agree with them.

In re-reading Ms Leong's answer, it's just this line that I found confusing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica (Weng Kah) Leong
The right to vote is the right to have your views represented. Do they have this right? From what I can see, they do
Is she saying ACAS already have the right to vote or some equivalent form of representation, or am I just really misreading that?
Old 08-01-2019, 11:56 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
I think I understand those, I just don't really agree with them.

In re-reading Ms Leong's answer, it's just this line that I found confusing:

Is she saying ACAS already have the right to vote or some equivalent form of representation, or am I just really misreading that?
She is saying "Do they have the right to have their view represented? They do, because they are members, they pay dues, and they volunteer. Therefore, they should have the right to vote."

Edit: Quote isn't really a quote, but is what I think she is intending to communicate. Which right she was talking about wasn't completely unambiguous, but I think it is clear when taken with what immediately followed.

Last edited by CuriousGeorge; 08-01-2019 at 12:00 PM..
Old 08-01-2019, 12:04 PM
CAS

Yes, I agree that was how I understood what she was saying as well.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:07 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
She is saying "Do they have the right to have their view represented? They do, because they are members, they pay dues, and they volunteer. Therefore, they should have the right to vote."

Edit: Quote isn't really a quote, but is what I think she is intending to communicate. Which right she was talking about wasn't completely unambiguous, but I think it is clear when taken with what immediately followed.
Thanks. Your read makes sense. I think I just got confused by the switching back and forth between normative ("ought") and descriptive ("is") language.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:15 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
I haven't always agreed with Mary Frances Miller's positions in the past, but I thought this was spot-on:
Agree with you on both points.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:40 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

I voted for the arbitration. seems fine to me (it is in most of the contracts I have at work anyway).

voted for 3 candidates I have worked with before on committees (and enjoyed as thoughtful people) and then one who I have known of for a long time and really respect. there were more good candidates than I had votes.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
There were more good candidates than I had votes.
I certainly agree with that- I'm impressed. I'm not on here often (retired in 2014 and am busy traveling and spoiling my grandchildren) but still wanted to make an informed voting choice. It just took me awhile to figure out that if I wanted to see the candidates' answers to the questions posed I needed to click on each question.

Well, you know how inept we Old People are with technology.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Wiki Contributor
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for the rest of my life.
College: Alumnus - Queens College - CUNY
Favorite beer: Stone Ruination IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Does anyone feel strongly -- pro or anti -- the proposed Bylaws amendment? Briefly explain.
I was one of the people who suggested it at an EC meeting, so I'll take some of the blame.

The following is my opinion only, not that of the CAS, but comprises my perspectives both as an individual and a volunteer for the CAS.

I need to have two perspectives. As an EC member, I need to view issues from the perspective of the CAS as a body. In that vein, I am pro. It has become standard practice for most large companies to use arbitration instead of reverting to lawsuits to handle disputes. It often ends up being cheaper, and is almost always resolved faster. You can also find an arbitrator with domain knowledge, as opposed to a judge who has knowledge of the law but not necessarily of the domain in question.

From the perspective of a member I remain pro for similar reasons. It will be less expensive for me to have my case adjudicated and it will happen more quickly. I can still use a lawyer to help me craft and my my case to the arbitrator, who usually needs to be approved by both parties. Also, having someone with specific knowledge of professional & credentialing organizations is a plus. Basically, the same pros for the CAS, to be frank.

Yes, there are cons. The biggest, in my opinion, is that often there is no appeal process—the decision is final. That goes both ways, unless one is concerned that the CAS has deeper pockets. But that is a concern for litigation as well. The longer a case takes, the more expensive it becomes, and that gets compounded with the levels of appeal.

There are other pros and cons, but weighing them, to me the reduced cost, increased speed, joint selection of the arbitrator, and the fact that this is quickly becoming industry standard was why I was one of those that suggested this a year and a half ago or so and why I will vote for it.

--with apologies to Dr. Leon Lederman