Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Retirement Benefits Track > Retirement Plan Investment and Risk Management Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-12-2019, 12:30 PM
SOA

College: USF
Favorite beer: Free Beer
Default RPIRM - Fall 2019

Okay, I'll start it. RPIRM Fall 2019, who's coming with me?!

One more to FSA and I'm sure it can't be that bad... haha, right?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:34 PM
SOA

good luck everyone it really isnt *that* bad.

FSA Modules: SI FE ERM
FSA Exams: RPIRM RETFRC

Last edited by mel.fel; 07-12-2019 at 04:19 PM..
Old 07-17-2019, 12:24 PM
SOA

Studying for RPIRM

I'm with you! Started going through source material & Edge manual (concurrently) on 7/5. I've gotten through the required chapters in Fundamentals of Private Pensions and Modern Investment Management so far, plus the first 2 study notes.

Anyone have suggestions on when to start memorizing the QBS? I assume after I've gotten through the source material, because right now none of them make much sense haha.

FSA Exams: RPIRM | EA-2L | EA-2F | DAU
FSA Modules: Social Ins | Fin Econ | ERM | DMAC
Old 07-18-2019, 08:41 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuarialChef View Post
Anyone have suggestions on when to start memorizing the QBS? I assume after I've gotten through the source material, because right now none of them make much sense haha.
I followed a colleague's strategy for RPIRM and actually started out memorizing the QBS. Sure, a lot of it didn't make sense during the rote memorization period, but I then added context by reading the summaries and some of the source material. I also added notes to the flashcards and supplemented with some of my own flashcards if I felt topics weren't covered satisfactorily. I think I memorized about 90-95% of the flashcards.

I'm sure most people read first and memorize later though. I took that approach with DA simply because the thought of memorizing 1,000 flash cards right off the bat was way too intimidating. But for RPIRM, memorizing everything first worked out really well for me.

The weekend before the exam, I rearranged the QBS and typed up my own consolidated notes based on topic:
  • risk management framework
  • asset-only perspective vs. asset-liability perspective
  • manager selection and performance evaluation
  • administration, prudent practices, and regulations
  • public plans
  • financial economics

Reorganizing and typing everything up really helped me synthesize the concepts. I ended up with 68 pages that I was able to quickly flip through the morning of the exam as review.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2019, 09:58 AM
SOA

My goal on every exam is to get a high level understanding of all of the material as fast as possible. Then go back and refine/deepen my understanding. I could do a quick read of the manual, but I think the QBS is better way to do that.

I agree with CrispyCobb about typing your own notes. Here's my plan:
  1. Type out the QBS and refine it to fit my needs.
  2. Go through the manual and improve my understanding/actually learn the material. At the same time further refine the QBS as needed.
  3. Go through the source material where needed, refine QBS
  4. Work prior relevant exam questions, refine QBS
  5. Memorize areas as need. I'm not a believer in raw memorization, but there is value knowing the material thoroughly.
  6. Pass exam, FSA
Old 07-22-2019, 12:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prob4Fun View Post
My goal on every exam is to get a high level understanding of all of the material as fast as possible. Then go back and refine/deepen my understanding. I could do a quick read of the manual, but I think the QBS is better way to do that.

I agree with CrispyCobb about typing your own notes. Here's my plan:
  1. Type out the QBS and refine it to fit my needs.
  2. Go through the manual and improve my understanding/actually learn the material. At the same time further refine the QBS as needed.
  3. Go through the source material where needed, refine QBS
  4. Work prior relevant exam questions, refine QBS
  5. Memorize areas as need. I'm not a believer in raw memorization, but there is value knowing the material thoroughly.
  6. Pass exam, FSA
seconded!

FSA Modules: SI FE ERM
FSA Exams: RPIRM RETFRC
Old 08-04-2019, 10:56 PM
SOA

College: UWaterloo Alumni

Just decided to try it too... Are you guys using Edge or PAK? And how did you decide?
Old 08-05-2019, 04:45 PM

I purchased materials for last sitting, but ultimately didn't register....didn't feel like I gave myself enough time to prepare. Back in this time. I have the PAK materials from last sitting. Hopefully should be comprehensive enough, but thinking I need to supplement with the study notes and/or The EDGE.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:09 PM
SOA

Does anyone have a sense of what percent of candidates take this exam before Design and Accounting? The average number of takers is about 50% higher for RPRIM over the past 11 sittings and I'm sure some people take ERM instead. I know that DA exam is recommended before RPIRM, but i seems like most people I've talked to took RPIRM first.

It doesn't really matter, but I'm always trying to figure out what causes people to not pass and how avoid that. I also noted that there are more zeros scored on this exam, which may be an indicator that people tend to take this one first.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:41 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prob4Fun View Post
Does anyone have a sense of what percent of candidates take this exam before Design and Accounting? The average number of takers is about 50% higher for RPRIM over the past 11 sittings and I'm sure some people take ERM instead. I know that DA exam is recommended before RPIRM, but i seems like most people I've talked to took RPIRM first.

It doesn't really matter, but I'm always trying to figure out what causes people to not pass and how avoid that. I also noted that there are more zeros scored on this exam, which may be an indicator that people tend to take this one first.
Don't forget that there are separate DA exams for US vs. Canada. If you include both DAU and DAC stats, the comparison against RPIRM makes more sense considering, as you pointed out, that some people take ERM instead of RPIRM.