Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Retirement Benefits Track > Retirement Plan Investment and Risk Management Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Prob4Fun's Avatar
Prob4Fun Prob4Fun is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Colorado
College: USF
Favorite beer: Free Beer
Posts: 240
Default RPIRM - Fall 2019

Okay, I'll start it. RPIRM Fall 2019, who's coming with me?!

One more to FSA and I'm sure it can't be that bad... haha, right?
__________________
ASA EA, DAU, RPIRM Modules
FAC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-12-2019, 02:34 PM
mel.fel mel.fel is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 327
Default

good luck everyone it really isnt *that* bad.
__________________
ASA

FSA Modules: SI FE ERM
FSA Exams: RPIRM RETFRC

Last edited by mel.fel; 07-12-2019 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-17-2019, 12:24 PM
ActuarialChef's Avatar
ActuarialChef ActuarialChef is online now
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Studying for RPIRM
Posts: 27
Default

I'm with you! Started going through source material & Edge manual (concurrently) on 7/5. I've gotten through the required chapters in Fundamentals of Private Pensions and Modern Investment Management so far, plus the first 2 study notes.

Anyone have suggestions on when to start memorizing the QBS? I assume after I've gotten through the source material, because right now none of them make much sense haha.
__________________
ASA

FSA Exams: RPIRM | EA-2L | EA-2F | DAU
FSA Modules: Social Ins | Fin Econ | ERM | DMAC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2019, 08:41 AM
CrispyCobb CrispyCobb is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Studying for nothing!
Posts: 306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuarialChef View Post
Anyone have suggestions on when to start memorizing the QBS? I assume after I've gotten through the source material, because right now none of them make much sense haha.
I followed a colleague's strategy for RPIRM and actually started out memorizing the QBS. Sure, a lot of it didn't make sense during the rote memorization period, but I then added context by reading the summaries and some of the source material. I also added notes to the flashcards and supplemented with some of my own flashcards if I felt topics weren't covered satisfactorily. I think I memorized about 90-95% of the flashcards.

I'm sure most people read first and memorize later though. I took that approach with DA simply because the thought of memorizing 1,000 flash cards right off the bat was way too intimidating. But for RPIRM, memorizing everything first worked out really well for me.

The weekend before the exam, I rearranged the QBS and typed up my own consolidated notes based on topic:
  • risk management framework
  • asset-only perspective vs. asset-liability perspective
  • manager selection and performance evaluation
  • administration, prudent practices, and regulations
  • public plans
  • financial economics

Reorganizing and typing everything up really helped me synthesize the concepts. I ended up with 68 pages that I was able to quickly flip through the morning of the exam as review.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-18-2019, 09:58 AM
Prob4Fun's Avatar
Prob4Fun Prob4Fun is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Colorado
College: USF
Favorite beer: Free Beer
Posts: 240
Default

My goal on every exam is to get a high level understanding of all of the material as fast as possible. Then go back and refine/deepen my understanding. I could do a quick read of the manual, but I think the QBS is better way to do that.

I agree with CrispyCobb about typing your own notes. Here's my plan:
  1. Type out the QBS and refine it to fit my needs.
  2. Go through the manual and improve my understanding/actually learn the material. At the same time further refine the QBS as needed.
  3. Go through the source material where needed, refine QBS
  4. Work prior relevant exam questions, refine QBS
  5. Memorize areas as need. I'm not a believer in raw memorization, but there is value knowing the material thoroughly.
  6. Pass exam, FSA
__________________
ASA EA, DAU, RPIRM Modules
FAC
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2019, 12:31 PM
mel.fel mel.fel is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prob4Fun View Post
My goal on every exam is to get a high level understanding of all of the material as fast as possible. Then go back and refine/deepen my understanding. I could do a quick read of the manual, but I think the QBS is better way to do that.

I agree with CrispyCobb about typing your own notes. Here's my plan:
  1. Type out the QBS and refine it to fit my needs.
  2. Go through the manual and improve my understanding/actually learn the material. At the same time further refine the QBS as needed.
  3. Go through the source material where needed, refine QBS
  4. Work prior relevant exam questions, refine QBS
  5. Memorize areas as need. I'm not a believer in raw memorization, but there is value knowing the material thoroughly.
  6. Pass exam, FSA
seconded!
__________________
ASA

FSA Modules: SI FE ERM
FSA Exams: RPIRM RETFRC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:56 PM
sine-ade. sine-ade. is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
College: UWaterloo Alumni
Posts: 3
Default

Just decided to try it too... Are you guys using Edge or PAK? And how did you decide?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-05-2019, 04:45 PM
theojd theojd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 254
Default

I purchased materials for last sitting, but ultimately didn't register....didn't feel like I gave myself enough time to prepare. Back in this time. I have the PAK materials from last sitting. Hopefully should be comprehensive enough, but thinking I need to supplement with the study notes and/or The EDGE.
__________________
ASA, EA, MAAA
EA-2L E-2F
RETPIRM RETDAU
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Prob4Fun's Avatar
Prob4Fun Prob4Fun is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Colorado
College: USF
Favorite beer: Free Beer
Posts: 240
Default

Does anyone have a sense of what percent of candidates take this exam before Design and Accounting? The average number of takers is about 50% higher for RPRIM over the past 11 sittings and I'm sure some people take ERM instead. I know that DA exam is recommended before RPIRM, but i seems like most people I've talked to took RPIRM first.

It doesn't really matter, but I'm always trying to figure out what causes people to not pass and how avoid that. I also noted that there are more zeros scored on this exam, which may be an indicator that people tend to take this one first.
__________________
ASA EA, DAU, RPIRM Modules
FAC
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-13-2019, 02:41 PM
CrispyCobb CrispyCobb is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Studying for nothing!
Posts: 306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prob4Fun View Post
Does anyone have a sense of what percent of candidates take this exam before Design and Accounting? The average number of takers is about 50% higher for RPRIM over the past 11 sittings and I'm sure some people take ERM instead. I know that DA exam is recommended before RPIRM, but i seems like most people I've talked to took RPIRM first.

It doesn't really matter, but I'm always trying to figure out what causes people to not pass and how avoid that. I also noted that there are more zeros scored on this exam, which may be an indicator that people tend to take this one first.
Don't forget that there are separate DA exams for US vs. Canada. If you include both DAU and DAC stats, the comparison against RPIRM makes more sense considering, as you pointed out, that some people take ERM instead of RPIRM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.61717 seconds with 9 queries