Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-12-2019, 10:19 AM
CAS

Default Readability of insurance policies

Hi,

I have known for a long time that Florida has a readability statute, 627.4145, requiring a minimum Flesch Test score for every policy. The Flesch test is a formula whose arguments are word count, sentence count, and syllable count. I always wondered, especially in ancient times (the 80's) whether someone manually counted these things. Would you know how your company handles this - do you have internal software for this, or do you contract this task out?

I believe prior to the 80's, there was a 1943 NY standard fire insurance policy that was part of most property policies, that was infamous for having a really long sentence.

I am currently studying text analysis, a subset of data analysis, which has been used among other things to suggest which Beatles songs were primarily written by John and which by Paul. I think I can write some code to perform this Flesch test. Is there a place online where I can find a sample policy, hopefully as a PDF file?

Thanks,
Jerry Tuttle
Old 08-12-2019, 10:29 AM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks

I had to do some FL form filing work in the 90s. The old Lotus suite word processor AmiPro had a built in Flesch test algorithm that we used. Looks like there are some free online ones now but I've never used them.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:32 PM
CAS

Googling turns up this:

https://www.insurance.wa.gov/sites/d...nce-policy.pdf
Old 08-12-2019, 03:35 PM
CAS

If you want boilerplate policies I'd look to ISO. A few minutes of googling turned up this: http://www.tmsic.com/pdfs/Commercial...renceBasis.pdf
Old 08-12-2019, 06:29 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytuttle View Post
I have known for a long time that Florida has a readability statute, 627.4145, requiring a minimum Flesch Test score for every policy. The Flesch test is a formula whose arguments are word count, sentence count, and syllable count. I always wondered, especially in ancient times (the 80's) whether someone manually counted these things. Would you know how your company handles this - do you have internal software for this, or do you contract this task out?
Back when I was doing product work, I used the Flesch test built into Word, after making the following modifications to the source text:
  • Remove all paragraph/clause numbering (the A./B./C./1./2./3.'s)
  • Remove all section titles and subtitles, headers, footers
  • Remove all auto-hyphenation
  • Remove all tables, and the table of contents
  • Replace semicolons and colons with periods

...in order to get the calculation to comply with 627.4145(5).

I confirmed that by scoring a couple of endorsements by hand, to confirm the match. (Tedious work, but at the time I didn't have anyone else I trusted to do the work correctly.)

The statute also hints at a couple of strategies that can be used to get a problematic endorsement to pass the test.

And as to getting policy forms to play with: You probably have access to your homeowners and auto policies through your personal carrier's customer service website. In many states where filings are public record (e.g. Florida), most non-bureau forms are available through the same mechanism that you can pull rate filings. ISO forms are usually available through ISOnet, if you have a subscription.

Last edited by Maphisto's Sidekick; 08-12-2019 at 06:33 PM..
Old 09-15-2019, 06:39 PM
CAS

Default My auto policy has long sentences

Maphisto, thanks for your suggestions. I am trying to learn R, so this is an R project.

I used all your suggestions except removing semicolons. It seems to me a semicolon does not end a sentence. This is probably why my policy has some really long sentences, and a really long average sentence, and my policy failed the Florida requirement.

By the way, one of the standard tokenizing is to remove capital letters, so that word frequency can be calculated without counting a capitalized word and its uncapitalized equivalent as two different words. Having done so, I found the sentence tokenizing failed to recognize sentences that did not begin with capital letters, so I put the capitalization back for sentence tokenizing.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:06 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for CSPA
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Maphisto, thanks for your suggestions. I am trying to learn R, so this is an R project.

I used all your suggestions except removing semicolons. It seems to me a semicolon does not end a sentence. This is probably why my policy has some really long sentences, and a really long average sentence, and my policy failed the Florida requirement.

By the way, one of the standard tokenizing is to remove capital letters, so that word frequency can be calculated without counting a capitalized word and its uncapitalized equivalent as two different words. Having done so, I found the sentence tokenizing failed to recognize sentences that did not begin with capital letters, so I put the capitalization back for sentence tokenizing.
I wonder if you use ALL CAPS (I'm sure that has to be a text function to convert all letters to capital letters) would allow you to get word frequency and sentence count w/o two separate token streams.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 09-16-2019, 11:46 AM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:

Grammatically, a semicolon doesn't end a sentence. However, when evaluating a document for readability, we don't care so much about sentences, as we do separation between thoughts.

So, perhaps we have a list containing:
  1. One thought;
  2. Another thought; and
  3. One final thought.

In that case, the semicolons serve as natural break points to help make the document somewhat less incomprehensible.

I think the argument could be made that semicolons as list separators could merit different treatment than semicolons in long sentences; but I think even then we still have a separation of thoughts occurring.

Besides, what matters for approval is the methodology prescribed by statute, rather than standard rules of grammar.

(That statement, however, doesn't apply in Louisiana, where the last times I made rate/rule filings, someone on DOI staff rejected the filing due to a product manager's slightly sloppy grammar.)