Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Quantitative Finance and Investment (QFI) track > QFI Advanced
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 11-06-2019, 02:34 PM
SOA

College: Brown University
Default TIA QFI PM Seminar - Spring 2020

I am excited to announce that the TIA QFI PM seminar is ready to go for the Spring 2020 sitting!

Keep in mind we offer free iPhone and Android apps that let you view videos offline, watch them at variable speeds, and more. This lets you listen to us at up to 2x speed! I find this feature particularly helpful for reviewing in the last few weeks.

Students are already signing up for the TIA seminar to study for the Spring 2020 exam. Sign up here.

Below is a summary of the contents of the TIA QFI PM Seminar:
  • Detailed study guide and videos for the entire syllabus
  • Over 30 hours of video content!
  • Study schedule spreadsheet with customizable start date and progress-tracking features intended to help you make the best use of your study time
  • 2 TIA full-length practice exam with solutions (200 points total)
  • Full set of flash cards available in multiple formats (including PDF, iPhone App, Android App, and Web App)
  • Breakdown spreadsheet analyzing past SOA exam questions. Many students find this breakdown spreadsheet very helpful to see which readings were tested on past exams. This mapping spreadsheet includes past relevant QFI Core, QFI Advanced, and APM questions
  • Video breakdowns of select past QFIA exam problems
  • Formula sheet review video series
  • TIA's iPhone app, which allows you to download videos for offline viewing when you want to save data
  • Video player that allows you to play videos at variable speeds up to 2x (also works in iPhone app)

Good luck on your exams! As always, feel free to email me at zak@theinfiniteactuary.com with any questions!

QFI Quant | QFI PM | QFI IRM | LAM | ERM

Follow TIA on instagram: the_infinite_actuary

Last edited by Zakfischer; 11-06-2019 at 02:46 PM..
Old 11-11-2019, 03:03 PM
SOA

I wanted to add one extra note here. We currently offer 2 TIA QFI PM practice exams in the course. Ken and I discussed and we will be releasing a 3rd practice exam to give additional practice! We have this scheduled to be released March 15, 2020. Good luck to everyone taking QFI PM in Spring 2020!

Old 11-15-2019, 10:18 PM
CAS

is it QF is now harder than PM ?
Encouraged to take PM first ?
Old 11-16-2019, 10:12 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonangel View Post
is it QF is now harder than PM ?
Encouraged to take PM first ?
The SOA recommended order is QFI Quant first then QFI PM. This is generally what I would recommend. I do know a few people who tried it the other way, but most people do QFI Core/Quant first.

As far as which is "harder", I think they are very different exams and what is harder will depend on the student and their background. I would generally agree that for most people QF is harder. QFI Quant in my opinion is more mathematically rigorous and quantitative. You're more likely to see things like challenging "show that" questions on a QFI Quant exam. QFI PM is more broader, and has a lot of verbal / portfolio management material. The QFI PM syllabus feels a bit broader and longer (at least to me). I would say most people would say QFI Quant is harder due to the difficult quantitative material, but every person is different so it depends.

Last edited by Zakfischer; 11-16-2019 at 10:15 AM..
Old 01-09-2020, 03:11 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA

College: UGA

Today we published an updated report on our most recent survey of FSA exam customers. The survey is designed to identify patterns in study habits and was sent after candidates received their spring 2019 results.

At the link below, we show both quantitative results (e.g. time spent studying) and behavioral patterns (e.g. strategies employed while studying) suggested by the survey. Of the two, we still believe that understanding the behavioral patterns of successful candidates has the most value. In other words, we believe quality of study time is a bigger driver of success than quantity. However, it's interesting to see the point at which there are diminishing returns on study time within the passing population of exam candidates.

You can check out the latest results here:

http://theinfiniteactuary.com/blogs/exam_ila_dp/?p=935

We have your exam covered:

LPM | LFMU | LFMC | LAM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI PM | QFI IRM | G&H DP | G&H FV | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 03-17-2020, 07:31 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA

College: UGA

As you probably saw, today the SOA announced that the spring exam has been postponed until summer. During this time of uncertainty, we want you to be certain of at least one thing: If you purchased any of our products for the spring 2020 sitting, we will be extending your expiration dates through the new date once it becomes known.

Also, anyone who purchases any of our exam prep courses as of today forward will be guaranteed access through the fall exam date.

Please let us know if you have any questions at all. Good luck, and most importantly, stay safe and healthy!

We have your exam covered:

LPM | LFMU | LFMC | LAM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI PM | QFI IRM | G&H DP | G&H FV | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 04-20-2020, 10:51 AM
CAS

i doubt will the Fall 2020 syllabus for PM be the same as spring 2020 given the covid situation now.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:18 AM
SOA

Quote:
i doubt will the Fall 2020 syllabus for PM be the same as spring 2020 given the covid situation now.
They typically update the QFI PM syllabus each Fall, so if they keep the same pattern I agree the syllabus will change. It would really be up for a syllabus update regardless of the COVID situation.

Of course, the syllabus updates could be an important consideration if you are deciding which exam to take. If you have any questions feel free to email me at zak@theinfiniteactuary.com. The new syllabus for the Fall has not been released yet but will likely be sometime over the summer.

Last edited by Zakfischer; 04-21-2020 at 11:27 AM..
Old 05-06-2020, 09:07 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakfischer View Post
They typically update the QFI PM syllabus each Fall, so if they keep the same pattern I agree the syllabus will change. It would really be up for a syllabus update regardless of the COVID situation.

Of course, the syllabus updates could be an important consideration if you are deciding which exam to take. If you have any questions feel free to email me at zak@theinfiniteactuary.com. The new syllabus for the Fall has not been released yet but will likely be sometime over the summer.
syllabus out in june ? so late
Old 05-07-2020, 12:24 PM
SOA

Quote:
syllabus out in june ? so late
Yes - normally the SOA will post the new syllabus on their website in early May. But given the current circumstances it looks like it will be around June 1.