Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:38 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
I would put money on it lowering your own exposure also. Not as much of a reduction maybe, but still a reduction.
Sure if someone coughs directly in your face and leaves a wet spot on the mask, it's not likely to do much. But that's not how direct most exposure is.
Of course it lowers your own exposure. It's amazing how blatant the propagandizing is. The people arguing against a CDC recommendation say things like, "Masks are only effective when fitted properly, we don't want to tell people to wear masks because then they won't wash their hands."

The real issue is there is not enough masks to go around, so they don't want to tell people to wear masks, since they'd rather medical staff have them than random people.

But for individuals, if you can get your hands on some masks, you definitely should, and then google how to fit them properly.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Of course! And most women were anxious about giving birth then. There's a prayer Jews are supposed to say when they survive mortal danger, and after giving birth was one of the times they said it.

https://netivyah.org/birkat-hagomel-...-thanksgiving/
I appreciate your responses. I don't think pregnant women should be any more fearful today than they were 2 months ago.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtatum View Post
Well, only 6.6 million more unemployed this week on top of the 3.3 million last week. 10 million unemployed in 2 weeks. Previous all-time high for one week was 671,000.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ICSA
Ha, I saw the 6.6 million and thought that included the 3.3 million from last week. WOW
Old 04-02-2020, 03:00 PM

Studying for EA-2L

my mother's dipshit friends who took none of this seriously and went about their daily lives are pretty sure they have the virus. they aren't gonna get tested though because they are okay enough to just get better at home, so why drive somewhere far to even bother when the don't feel well to begin with? I highly suspect that there are a lot of cases like this and the denominator is hugely understated.

they have all the symptoms including loss of taste.
Spoiler:
Old 04-02-2020, 03:07 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
my mother's dipshit friends who took none of this seriously and went about their daily lives are pretty sure they have the virus. they aren't gonna get tested though because they are okay enough to just get better at home, so why drive somewhere far to even bother when the don't feel well to begin with? I highly suspect that there are a lot of cases like this and the denominator is hugely understated.

they have all the symptoms including loss of taste.
Lots and lots of people had something with the symptoms of COVID-19 before its spread anywhere outside of China was officially acknowledged. The timeline derived from tracking confirmed cases is very likely wrong. And, if so, that means that approximately 99% of people who got infected did so without being dipshits. So maybe lighten up a bit.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:09 PM
SOA AAA

Very funny advice, there.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 04-02-2020, 03:09 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
Lots and lots of people had something with the symptoms of COVID-19 before its spread anywhere outside of China was officially acknowledged. The timeline derived from tracking confirmed cases is very likely wrong. And, if so, that means that approximately 99% of people who got infected did so without being dipshits. So maybe lighten up a bit.
um, they have it now. they didn't have it before it was known to have spread outside of china.
Spoiler:
Old 04-02-2020, 03:11 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rookie View Post
I appreciate your responses. I don't think pregnant women should be any more fearful today than they were 2 months ago.
I would definitely be very afraid of going to the hospital for any reason. Regardless of protocol, being in a hospital greatly increases your chances of infection. Now consider that hospitals are being overwhelmed and that doctors and nurses don't have enough PPE...

Still doubt it's more dangerous than a home birth, but it's for sure more dangerous now than it was 2 months ago.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:16 PM

College: LSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
I would put money on it lowering your own exposure also. Not as much of a reduction maybe, but still a reduction.
Sure if someone coughs directly in your face and leaves a wet spot on the mask, it's not likely to do much. But that's not how direct most exposure is.
Its pretty clear Ditkaworshipper has no real idea as to what he is talking about.

This graphic shows the reality. Basic math tells you how much of a difference they can make in terms of transmission (like in Taiwan).

Basic Surgical Mask: 87.5% reduction

If everybody wears one in public places.

Last edited by RichardS; 04-02-2020 at 03:26 PM..
Old 04-02-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
I would definitely be very afraid of going to the hospital for any reason. Regardless of protocol, being in a hospital greatly increases your chances of infection. Now consider that hospitals are being overwhelmed and that doctors and nurses don't have enough PPE...

Still doubt it's more dangerous than a home birth, but it's for sure more dangerous now than it was 2 months ago.
I'm also wary of going to the hospital for any reason, but the risk of catching other things in a hospital has always been there. Fortunately, awareness is high, and as a result maybe you are slightly more likely to catch COVID and much less likely to catch anything else?

There will be more clarity in the coming weeks regarding COVID and pregnancy. I wouldn't automatically take the unknown as a bad thing. I would want to be with my partner though.