Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-02-2020, 10:57 PM

Studying for EA-2L

those issues for kids just don't seem that bad to me. can't see their friends for a while? so what. get over it. have a zoom party or something. the issues for adults are worse in addition to worrying about people getting sick and dying which isn't listed.
Spoiler:
Old 04-02-2020, 11:14 PM

Studying for EA-2L

this is one situation where "think of the children!!!" i say hell no! it's the adults who are suffering, not the kids. it's old people who are dying. not kids.
Spoiler:
Old 04-02-2020, 11:14 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
These “so-called experts” have been clear that masks slow the spread, but the lack of PPE for medical workers meant individuals outside of the medical field buying up all the masks was bad for our overall response. Your framework here is extremely incorrect to the point of being a blatant lie because of this exculpatory evidence.

So, please trust experts and not conspiracies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
Its pretty clear Ditkaworshipper has no real idea as to what he is talking about.

This graphic shows the reality. Basic math tells you how much of a difference they can make in terms of transmission (like in Taiwan).

Basic Surgical Mask: 87.5% reduction

If everybody wears one in public places.
No, my original comment that led this tangent is taking the authorities’ advice in the context it was given, not questioning the efficacy of masks overall. Because the CDC didn’t ever suggest masks weren’t effective, just that we didn’t have the supply. I was speaking against takes like the below, because there was not an embarrassing flip flop or hypocrisy, just different advice given based on facts because of rapidly changing conditions.

I have a real issue with health authorities being questioned by non-experts like ourselves when a reasonable explanation exists with just a little more information. Masks are effective, no question. How they are best deployed given the fact that healthcare workers are having trouble getting them currently is a different question though, which is the question the health authorities need to answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPAN View Post
As predicted, the authorities begin the embarrassing flip flop on wearing masks. Yes, you should wear masks to reduce risk of exposure to respiratory viruses. Yes, they are somewhat effective. No, it's not very complicated to wear them properly.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...virus-69931885
Old 04-02-2020, 11:24 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo the Clown View Post
I think kids will be impacted because this is, for most of them, the first traumatic thing in their life, that disrupted life. Sports, school, friends are all off limits right now. those are the things that they currently think of as very important things in their lives. They are confused, upset about what they are missing out on, an unsure when/if they will be able to resume the things they are passionate about. For adults, we are seeing our savings disappear in the market, job uncertainty, distance from our social networks, but we understand why and the greater good that is coming from those sacrifices. To our kids, where every month is a big deal and a big part of their life, this is a huge disruption.
It's true that this is the first real trauma for kids. But this is the most significant traumatic event in my life, and on 9/11, I had only recently moved out of NYC, and still had a lot of friends and prior co-workers there. I used to look at the WTC out of my boss's window. My brother was in the bond industry, and lost dozens of friends and co-workers that day.

But this is bigger. This is more traumatic. And I think this will change the world more.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:38 PM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking
Favorite beer: blue moon....cuz i'm a female

A friend, more like an acquaintance really, in England died Sunday in her sleep. She had been sick so I assumed her illness or complications due to her illness was the cause of death. but I just found out she had tested positive for COVID-19. She leaves behind a husband and 2 young kids. Ugh.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
A friend, more like an acquaintance really, in England died Sunday in her sleep. She had been sick so I assumed her illness or complications due to her illness was the cause of death. but I just found out she had tested positive for COVID-19. She leaves behind a husband and 2 young kids. Ugh.
Sorry to hear.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:32 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I've seen that, but each step is quite variable.

exposure --> (typically 4-5 days, but possibly 2-20 days)
symptoms, and your innate immune systems starts to fight the bug -->
(about 5-7 days)
getting better or getting sicker as your adaptive immune system kicks in
--> (another 2-3 days) sick enough to present in hospital
--> (another 2-3 days) better or need ventilator

I think people who need to be hospitalized (but don't die) typically are sick for another few weeks, although they may be kicking them out of the hospital sooner than that these days.

But again, there's a lot of variability around how long it takes to progress through each step.
I think Steps 1-3 are the most critical to contagion. And I think most don't realize just how contagious this is.
Then, yeah, the symptoms if you get them.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 04-03-2020 at 11:24 AM..
Old 04-03-2020, 12:41 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
We need an antibody test. Ideally one you can order by mail, like a home pregnancy test. We need medical professionals to give up some of their control over diagnosis and treatment, too.
Problem with the antibody test is that it seems to be slow where 1 tech is focused on 1 test for 15 minutes. The other tests, the technician can prepare 90+ simultaneously.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:01 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying J View Post
Social distancing. Not social isolation. If you're feeling isolated, call a friend, schedule a Zoom Happy Hour. Go for a walk, say hello to your neighbors from a safe 6 feet away.
Going to a Zoom birthday party/game night Saturday. We're playing Codenames... Requires each person to have two devices so we can have a general chat and a team chat.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:32 AM

Studying for EA-2L

Just thought of another concern that I as an adult have that causes me anxiety that a child does not. I live alone, so if i get the virus i have to take care of myself. The thought of that is scary.

So boo hoo on a child's main concern about not getting to see their friends for a little while. That's so minor. People are dying. People are losing their incomes. People are getting gravely ill. Medical personnel are putting their lives at risk.

...and bobo the clown's kid cant see her bff in person for a little while.
Spoiler:

Last edited by ao fan; 04-03-2020 at 01:51 AM..