Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 03-27-2020, 10:10 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Frostop Root

Antman and the Wasp
Old 03-28-2020, 09:26 PM
SOA AAA

Blinded by the Light (2019)
Very good. Highly recommend.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 03-28-2020, 11:19 PM
CAS

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Very entertaining.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:15 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: San Pelligreno

Sling Blade 1996

I had never seen this highly acclaimed film. I watched it with my son and we both really enjoyed it. A tad slow moving and I could see the ending coming from a mile away, but the acting was excellent and it was cool seeing John Ritter in something.
It's times like these time and time again
Old 03-29-2020, 10:14 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

La vie du Christ((he Birth, the Life and the Death of Christ)(1906) Film short with 25 segments (in 1/2 hour) depicting the life of Jesus

Matrimony's Speed Limit(1913)Contrived comedy, with oft repeated plot as man must marry in little time to get the inheritance

La coquille et le clergyman(The Seashell and the Clergyman)(1928)First Surrealist film? Grounded enough to work

Stand-In(1937)cute comedy/romance in the movie industry

Hitting a New High(1937)light comedy, a bit forced

The Great Garrick(1937)Nice comedy/romance as French want to prove a British actor doesn't know his craft

Blockade(1938)Overblown Spanish Civil war film, hey but look at the year

Cover Girl(1944)Rita Hayworth/Gene Kelly - that should be enough

Mother Wore Tights(1947)Nice musical covering years in the life of a vaudeville family

I'd Climb the Highest Mountain(1951)Slice of Americana, from the perspective of the minister's wife. They showed him to be quite human and I love Susan Hayward, not the most beautiful of the era, but has a hard edge, that always works for me

A Lawless Street(1955)Good western as the sheriff that cleaned the town isn't universally loved. Not all that new, tried too hard to be High Noon

Good Morning, Miss Dove(1955) Another film where the retiring/sick teacher reminisces. She just seemed too stiff and didn't really related with all that many of the kids.

The Best of Everything(1959)Woman in the workforce, a bit too soapy

Bobby(1973) God awful Bollywood, that becomes laughable.

Ram Teri Ganga Maili(1985)Same director as above. I feel I have discovered the worst director in film history (Ed Wood didn't have this guy's budget). This is more typical Bollywood with a bit of edge. But whoever writes this has obviously never heard human's speak to each other or interact

Lady in White(1988)Some good to this child ghost story. But needed more development of the relationships.

Gridlock'd(1997)Urban drug culture comedy of trying to get clean in a world of red tape. The best thing about it is the characters were not dumb. There was more logic than usually expect in peoples actions, even if it doesn't work out.

Head in the Clouds(2004)Good Spanish Civil War/WWII period piece that works, especially as it gets past the relationship development

Gnomeo & Juliet(2011) Humor seemed beyond children's references and not that funny. Unlike Toy Story, there is just too much disturbing or the environment. I want some character consistency

In Time(2011) Good concept Sci-Fi, where life expectancy becomes currency, but becomes just a typical chase film

Martha Marcy May Marlene(2011)Story of a woman escaping a cult and trying to re-assimilate in a "normal" life. Once I got used to the time switches it worked well

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets(2017)Beautiful Sci-fi, fantasy that dragged me in, then I met the main characters who I hated with a passion. Their banter was forced and all normal emotion was lost when needed. This seems like it should have been good
Old 03-30-2020, 02:18 AM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I bailed on The Killing Of A Sacred Deer. It was creepy from the very start, even though the plot really doesn't begin until a half hour in. But once I saw where it was going, I knew it wasn't the sort of movie I really enjoy and I decided that my list was long enough that I didn't need to finish it.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 03-30-2020, 05:58 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

God of Egypt (2016)

I like watching stupid films - it was fun

There were some good ideas for art design, etc., but the CGI looked really cheap

LinkedIn Profile
Old 03-30-2020, 01:16 PM
SOA AAA

Hotel Rwanda (2004) **** (out of 5)

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 03-30-2020, 03:02 PM
SOA AAA

Frankie (2019) with Isabelle Huppert as an aging movie star with only a few months to live as her cancer treatments did not work. She has brought her "family" together on the Portuguese shore for a reunion of sorts. Features Brendan Gleeson as husband #2 and Marissa Tomei as a friend from the movie world. Throw in Greg Kinnear and you have a reasonably good cast. The story moves along nicely unfolding the various issues the family has faced over time. The only complaint is that the ending is very weak and unsatisfying. I don't need closure, I'd just like to know what the final scene is for.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:06 PM

Come and See (1985, Russian) - Very powerful and devastating movie about one boy's experience as the Nazis scorched their way through Byelorussia. Heralded as one of the best movies about war ever made. Schindler's List must have used some pieces from this movie. Great movie that I just stumbled across on TCM.