Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-03-2020, 06:00 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
Mods, can I (preferably Sam since heís better versed on that angle) go political for one post to explain why this CSPAN drift is BS? Itís basically presenting bad faith spin that is inherently political in nature, and this is not the first instance of this poster doing that in this thread - I called it out a couple of weeks ago, too. Unlike CSPAN, the fact that some of us are consistently holding that line is actually lowering the information quality of this conversation.

Iím actually getting pretty annoyed here because this is basically conspiracy theories being allowed while basic facts are being restricted based on how the lines are drawn.
maybe i should retract my previous complement

you could have very easily have asked this question to mods via PM but you chose ... something else. bad ditka
Old 04-03-2020, 07:00 PM
Non-Actuary

No toilet paper at the supermarket when I went at 7:30 this morning, and I'm not going to hop around to multiple supermarkets looking for it, so I decided to try my luck online. Ended up ordering a carton of 1 dozen jumbo rolls (2-ply). I don't need that much, but when you buy commercial-sized bulk that's what you get.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 04-03-2020, 07:08 PM

There is much to be said about having a large network of friends to call upon. Though I wouldn't want to redeem one of my "favor cards" on a roll of TP. Maybe 5 masks for 2 rolls of TP?
Old 04-03-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying J View Post
So I'm just having a hard time believing the Kinsa data. Sure they say they adjust for large shifts in user base, but I don't buy it. I think a higher percentage people are taking their temp regularly out of caution, and that's making the general population seem more healthy.

Looking at the King County, WA data, I just don't believe there's been that sharp a decrease in sick people over the past 2 days. It's just too good to be true.

Convince me the data isn't seriously biased.

https://healthweather.us/?regionId=53033&mode=Atypical
There was a very dramatic change in the behavior of the vast majority of the population in the course of 24 hours, and that persisted afterwards. You don't think that would cause a sharp decrease at a point in time roughly equal to the incubation period later? That's exactly what you should expect if these measures have any impact at all.

ETA: anecdata point 1: I personally went from getting sick all the time to rarely getting sick just by wearing gloves during the winter. I was really doing it because I had dry skin and my hands would crack and peel, but my cold frequency went down by at least hald.
anecdata point 2: went from half as many colds to almost no colds when I stopped working in an office. I still went to the gym and had other contact with people.
anecdata point 3: I realized I started doing one more thing in the midst of these - I started making a point to wipe down the treadmill and bike handles and touchscreens at the gym before use, not just after.
Aside from those things, I am probably less hygienic than a lot of people - aside from using the bathroom not much for washing my hands, and I never was someone who spent 20 seconds washing them when i did.

tl;dr: most people are gd slobs and keeping them apart from each other will absolutely have an impact on colds/flu/COVID.

Last edited by Loner; 04-03-2020 at 07:22 PM..
Old 04-03-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
There was a very dramatic change in the behavior of the vast majority of the population in the course of 24 hours, and that persisted afterwards. You don't think that would cause a sharp decrease at a point in time roughly equal to the incubation period later? That's exactly what you should expect if these measures have any impact at all.
There's a lot of other viruses too, and spread of all of them is being reduced substantially.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathinTucson View Post
I'm seeing a lot of masks in the grocery store. My original understanding (based on some podcast) was that masks were useful only for the infected, to prevent their droplets from spreading. But now I've heard that opinions differ, and that it might be good for everyone to wear a mask in public (to protect against droplets -- most OTC inexpensive masks won't help against aerosols, I assume).

Do any of you wear a mask in public? What brand, where did you buy it, and do think that it's effective (or are you just playing it safe; can't hurt after all)?
ANY mask will do something. The initial advice against masks was just to keep people from hoarding the ones the medical personnel need(and in fact if you read past the first paragraph or to of any article about it, they would slip that in there towards the end...). They need the good stuff because they are in much closer proximity to much sicker people.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloister View Post
There's a lot of other viruses too, and spread of all of them is being reduced substantially.
Absolutely.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:30 PM

Favorite beer: Budweiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
The other day, I went to Trader Joe's and there was a line to get in, about 40 people. So, I skipped it and went home. I'll have to go tonight, though.

I just saw the same thing a couple hours ago at my local supermarket. F that!
Old 04-03-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
Barber shops are going to be packed when this is all over.
Are they, or will so many people just decide the clippers at home are easier that half the barber shops will close? It's weird at first with the buzzcut, but once you get used to not having to comb your hair and deal with bed head etc a lot of guys prefer the lack of hassle.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:31 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
No toilet paper at the supermarket when I went at 7:30 this morning, and I'm not going to hop around to multiple supermarkets looking for it, so I decided to try my luck online. Ended up ordering a carton of 1 dozen jumbo rolls (2-ply). I don't need that much, but when you buy commercial-sized bulk that's what you get.
We are okay on toilet paper, just by sheer luck. Got our normal 24-pk before people panicked.

Our grocery store has been completely out of toilet paper and wet wipes and napkins and paper towels and pretty much any other paper product that could be repurposed for wiping one's nethers. It's very annoying.

We ended up ordering some commercial folded paper towels and a dispenser on line since we were out. Now we've got about a 2 year supply... but they're nice and the dispenser looks nice too so we're okay with it.