Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 05-15-2018, 07:54 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
No. Not since they went public.
Guess I'm dating myself...

That was a nice perk, but some people abused it, or rather, abused themselves with it. I knew a temp worker there who surely would have ended up being over 400 lbs if they had stayed there full time.

I was going to advise OP not to be that person.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:57 PM
CAS SOA

College: Stevens Institute of Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
I liked working there for a long time. I was a hard worker and got promoted quickly and was happy, until I wasn't. Each office's culture is different, and for me that was 90% of my source of happiness. I don't suspect you'd be working in the same office I did, so my history there likely isn't relevant.

The hours are long (probably not as an intern, though), there is no recognition for going above and beyond, and billable hours are awful. Bonuses and raises are tied to company performance, not individual performance, and the company sets ridiculous growth expectations despite the fact that there is no growth to be found.

But, that's retirement consulting, and it's the same at any consulting company you work.

I don't know about investments. I know Aon does it, but I never worked with that area.

In regards to the "no pressure to pass exams" comment, I used to see that as a good thing. But there's a reason they don't pressure you to pass exams - you'll find it challenging to adequately study for them. You'll be lucky to take your study time, and you'll be working long hours, making it hard to study on your own time as well.

Not passing exams makes you less marketable if you want to switch out of consulting. It also makes it more likely you'll be underpaid, since exam raises are guaranteed and performance raises are not. There were several years when I worked there that I got a 0% raise, despite getting 4's and 5's on my annual reviews, because the company had no budget for performance raises, for anyone.

Again, this is the nature of pension consulting, and it's a big reason why I wanted out, and I don't regret getting out for a second. Also, it makes me pretty biased.
wow i didnt realize it was that bad, when you say long hours how many hours are we talking? and if you dont mind me asking can you give me a range of about what a salary i should expect working at Aon with an ASA. and what do you specifically mean by billable hours? are you saying the pay in general is good, but given the amount of hours you work youre technically making less per hour than another actuary would?
Old 05-16-2018, 12:28 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

get out now omar
Old 05-16-2018, 01:50 AM
CAS SOA

College: Stevens Institute of Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
get out now omar
y ?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:01 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarramdan View Post
wow i didnt realize it was that bad, when you say long hours how many hours are we talking? and if you dont mind me asking can you give me a range of about what a salary i should expect working at Aon with an ASA. and what do you specifically mean by billable hours? are you saying the pay in general is good, but given the amount of hours you work youre technically making less per hour than another actuary would?
I averaged around 50 hours a week my first and second years on the job, and 55 hours a week my third and fourth. It went back to around 50 after that.

Billable hours are the hours you are expected to work on billable work for clients. At Aon, it's going to be in the ballpark of 1,700 a year. That doesn't sound like a lot, but when you factor in time off and holidays, required trainings and meetings, and other non-billable work, it comes out to around 8 hours a day. You'll have enough to do for all eight hours of the day, but it's not humanly possible to sit down at 9, work for 4 hours straight, take lunch, then go straight back to work for another 4 hours, every single day. So, you end up working late to get in your hours, plus you just have too much work for one person to do (and you will).

I don't have any insights into the compensation philosophy at Aon, other than to say that I was slightly underpaid. But that's not atypical when you are at the same place for seven years, regardless of the industry you work in.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:40 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Why go above and beyond? Work like you're trying to get a 6 on an exam. That ensures you'll get a job without learning too much.

-Riley
Old 05-16-2018, 01:22 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
Why go above and beyond? Work like you're trying to get a 6 on an exam. That ensures you'll get a job without learning too much.

-Riley
It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:37 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation?
tbh no one is asking much of you... we just want you to put the cover sheets on the TPS reports
Old 05-16-2018, 04:07 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
If at the end of the day,
all you care to say,
is "I make more pay,
have a nice driveway,
can eat any entree",
wear only chambray?

sure, fine, touche.

Will that display,
always outweigh,
a family array,
fun and play,
knowledge decay?

Sounds risque,
but if you're okay,
Chase that payday.

Everything else is just horseplay.

-Riley

P.S. Just crochet
Old 05-17-2018, 04:17 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Minor quibble but don't call yourself an actuary. Got some exams to pass first.

Tags
aon, internship, tips