Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 11-05-2018, 09:58 PM
Non-Actuary

Default How should I prepare for an onsite interview for a pricing actuarial internship?

Hello everyone,

I have an onsite interview at a reinsurance company in 2 days. I was just wondering what should I expect from this interview? Accordingly, how should I prepare for this interview? I know I will be interviewing with the head of the pricing department and the senior actuarial managers. In total, it's going to be a 1.5 hours long interview.

I am just very scared and nervous as to what type of questions should I expect, the format of the interview and what should I know about the people interviewing me.

I really appreciate any help provided! Thank you so much!
Old 11-05-2018, 10:14 PM

For EL, reinsurance isn't really much different than any other interviews. See the many other threads on interviewing.

If you're prepared for a generic actuarial interview, and have a general idea of what reinsurers do, then you're in good shape. Might check out some of the company's press releases and earnings reports. And generally, reinsurers are consolidating (see the M&A thread) even faster than primary insurance.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:32 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu96 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have an onsite interview at a reinsurance company in 2 days. I was just wondering what should I expect from this interview? Accordingly, how should I prepare for this interview? I know I will be interviewing with the head of the pricing department and the senior actuarial managers. In total, it's going to be a 1.5 hours long interview.

I am just very scared and nervous as to what type of questions should I expect, the format of the interview and what should I know about the people interviewing me.

I really appreciate any help provided! Thank you so much!
nice humblebrag that you're going into reinsurance.

but for reals, they're most prolly gonna ask you a bunch of behavioral questions (tell me a time when types) and some superficial reinsurance questions like (what is reinsurance, why are you interested in it, etc). Good luck!
Old 11-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
For EL, reinsurance isn't really much different than any other interviews. See the many other threads on interviewing.

If you're prepared for a generic actuarial interview, and have a general idea of what reinsurers do, then you're in good shape. Might check out some of the company's press releases and earnings reports. And generally, reinsurers are consolidating (see the M&A thread) even faster than primary insurance.
Thank you so much for you reply! It was really helpful!
Old 11-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
nice humblebrag that you're going into reinsurance.

but for reals, they're most prolly gonna ask you a bunch of behavioral questions (tell me a time when types) and some superficial reinsurance questions like (what is reinsurance, why are you interested in it, etc). Good luck!
Hahahah.... I was just trying to provide the context of the interviews. Oh okay, that was insightful! I really appreciate your help! Thank you!

Tags
internship, interview, interview question, onsite, preparing for interview