Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 05-31-2019, 08:36 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

As everyone has said, there is no need to be nervous about your lack of knowledge. Everyone expects interns to know essentially nothing, except very basic computer skills. (Nothing really beyond "can power up the computer and open Excel".)

Intern projects vary from the totally mundane (which honestly, is most of them), to the occasionally interesting one-off project. (The sort of thing where your supervisor thought "this would be interesting to look at if I ever had the time. Maybe the intern could pull the stuff together.") But it will probably just be spreadsheet entry.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:01 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Ask your boss if you can study, after you have asked for more work but received none.
That's a good suggestion! Thank you for that!
Old 05-31-2019, 02:47 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Mostly CS's advice, but:
Well, hello!
Don't be. Easy to tell you, but honestly, no one cares too much about your feelings. Most people are nervous at their first jobs, but most people don't advertise it to the world. It projects "high-maintenance."

You probably don't. Most everyone has a "first internship" or something like you're going through without knowledge. So, you're not the first, and you won't be the last to have a first.
You know, the internship is for learning about the profession. Not for recommending trends or forecasting the T-Bill rate or something important for the company.
See above.

Everyone has given their advice, and I deem all of it useful.
No idea. Nothing important, though. That is certain.

How well you do your work, whether you arrive on time (or close to it), whether you get along positively with others (you know, not discussing your feelings and stuff like that), etc.

I hope my post was as useful as the others. It's not easy coming in after everyone else has done all the heavy lifting.

Some internships offer some study time. Not a whole lot, but enough to get you used to it if/when you get your career started.
Instead of being nervous, consider yourself lucky to get an internship. It means that the company picked you over several others.
Nervous? Confident is what you should be.
Thank you so much for such a comprehensive and informative response! Yes, the advices given by the other users have definitely lessened my anxiety. Once again, I appreciate your thorough response!
Old 05-31-2019, 02:51 PM
SOA AAA

I'm nothing if not thorough.

See you Monday!

(kidding, I"m not in P&C.)

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 05-31-2019, 02:53 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Thanks, yoyo (I think, sarcaso-meter is on the fritz).

Also, note that the internship is a dry-run to getting a job at that company. If they like you enough such that they don't want to interview anyone else (there might be several openings next May), that could happen.

They could also ask you to interview in the Fall.

They could also ask you to have a nice rest of your life. This one is actually pretty popular, so don't get down about it. You should STILL apply to them for May openings. You might interview with someone else in the same company.
I mean, you might have been the third best intern for the summer. The other two will get an offer or get asked to interview, but you're right there behind them. Take what you learn from this experience and frame it positively for your future interviews.
Will keep this in mind. Thank you so much for your guidance!
Old 05-31-2019, 02:54 PM

Great advice, especially from DTNF. Best advice ITT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
Ask questions about the work, but don't ask frivolous questions attempting to demonstrate how smart you are.
Don't do ANYTHING with the intention of showing how smart you are. Because you're probably used to being a standout in class, so it feels weird to be in a room of people who understand what's going on when you don't. And the natural response is to wait for a chance to show how smart you are AND THEN GO FOR IT!!!

That won't impress anybody even if it's on something that you really do have a valuable contribution to make (which isn't likely, nor is it impossible).

If you see something being done in a way that you feel very confident that you can improve the efficiency (and while this may sound unlikely, there's a lot of stuff that's done with dumb and outdated processes that you might be able to fix by end of summer), you could say

"That's not a good process, who set that stupid thing up that way" - this is obviously bad.
"I know how to do that better, I'm going to make changes and then tell them about it after" - even worse, actually.
"I know how to do that better, hey bossman can I work on some changes to make it more efficient" - better but still not very good
"Hey bossman, I think I see how I can make that process more efficient, can I show you how?" - good
"Hey bossman this process looks inefficient compared to if we made some changes to it, but of course I could be missing some of the reasons why it's set up the way it is, can I come by your office later and show you, maybe ask some questions" - that's a pretty good answer.

And my own advice to the OP: People ask questions like this because they're eager to impress - which is a good thing, mostly. But people that are eager to impress often have an "above and beyond" mentality, which can be a problem at the intern level or even for the first year of EL. And the problem is that you don't really understand the priorities and all the things going on that impact/are impacted by your work, so what you think of as "above and beyond" can be seen as "unnecessary" or worse "a problem because he did this extra stuff without considering that it would impact these other people. "

As an old cow-orker used to say: You want to drive the bus, and someday you will. But not today, you don't know enough to drive the bus; or to direct the bus; or even to clean the bus; you know enough to sit quietly on the bus and do as you're told. The path to driving the bus starts with that.

Summary: Do what you're told to do, not what you think is worth doing or what sounds like will impress people.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:01 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
As everyone has said, there is no need to be nervous about your lack of knowledge. Everyone expects interns to know essentially nothing, except very basic computer skills. (Nothing really beyond "can power up the computer and open Excel".)

Intern projects vary from the totally mundane (which honestly, is most of them), to the occasionally interesting one-off project. (The sort of thing where your supervisor thought "this would be interesting to look at if I ever had the time. Maybe the intern could pull the stuff together.") But it will probably just be spreadsheet entry.
That's comforting to know. Thank you for your kind and helpful response!
Old 05-31-2019, 03:08 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for CSPA
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

To reiterate Westley's advice, keep Shania Twain's advice in mind:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Jqht3rOb1_zVLG (SFW)

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 06-01-2019, 10:19 AM
CAS

Bro I was nervous too. You'd be amazed how much you learn in a month. Every week you're just a bit less dumb and eventually you know you're still dumb but you at least know some acronyms and shit.

P FM JOB IFM MAS1
ECON OC1
Old 06-01-2019, 01:36 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
To reiterate Westley's advice, keep Shania Twain's advice in mind:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Jqht3rOb1_zVLG (SFW)
Something about where your boots are?

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO

Tags
entry level advice, internship, job, p&c