Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for GED
Favorite beer: Scieoclean
Default HOW to prepare for interviews. And if terrible, much hope?

Hi, I can sort of try to prepare for interviews indefinitely, but my brain just does not work that way. I've got notes upon notes in the Onenote app, trying to consider all questions, and develop answers to them, with lots of brainstorming and editing.

Unfortunately, my ability to interview may never be the reason I get hired. I interviewed for a tutoring position, and looked for feedback. She said the cover letter was great, and that's why she called me in, but the interview did not seem to reflect that. I definitely am not the type to shine in five minute conversations. ("Linear processing disorder".) I mean she apparently got ahold of someone that worked there before, but it still hammered home that my interviewing seems to suggest that I am not worth much.

So if this seems to be a huge obstruction (because I'm sure there are more natural interviewers, who will prepare at least as much as me), argh!!!

I'm trying to see it as I'll just have to make it so the interview has less to do with it, so if I do really well at progressing through the exams, and getting high marks on first tries, hopefully that will suggest a compensation for the lack of "interviewing talent".

I am very unique. But everybody says that.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Queens College

Practice.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for GED
Favorite beer: Scieoclean

oh yeah, thank you, you just reminded me. but still, i will, but i'm just so horrible at making headway at it. I HATE INTERVIEWERS. i will stare across the table with a pure hatred for your inability to figure out if i'm right for the job.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 PM
SOA

Studying for the rest of my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by algebrat View Post
oh yeah, thank you, you just reminded me. but still, i will, but i'm just so horrible at making headway at it. I HATE INTERVIEWERS. i will stare across the table with a pure hatred for your inability to figure out if i'm right for the job.
well at least you have the right attitude going in

**** Juan.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:11 AM
CAS

Studying for CAS Exam 7

This is a tough one. To some extent, interviewers want to see if the person is good at interviewing...or at least good at the skills that would make for a good interviewer, such as communication skills and thinking under pressure.

The problem is that some people are terrible at interviewing because they are nervous, but they would actually be great employees. I might be able to present a proposal to the CEO under extreme pressure, but for some reason an interview seems like a life or death situation to me, so I freak out and botch the thing. So how well does the interview measure the interviewee's ability to be a good employee?

I think interviews tend to favor certain types of people: extroverts, people who think very quickly on their feet under pressure, people who smile. How much do those things affect the ability for someone to do their job? Depending on the position being filled, many of the things that are noticed or sensed of the interviewee could be of very high or very low importance. But this might not be the easiest thing for the interviewer to work out. If the guy is so nervous that he cannot answer simple questions, then I cannot know if he knows anything beyond what his resume claims.

Of course I'm not even getting into things like ADHD or auditory processing disorder, which might be perfectly manageable but initially make the interviewer seem apathetic or slow.

Having said all of that, I would not write someone off solely because he or she was bad at interviewing. But somehow I would need to figure out if this person had the necessary skills, intellect, and creativity, and if he or she would be a good member of the team.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:06 AM
SOA

Studying for ERM
College: Columbia Alum

Power posing. Check out this TED Talk, it's long but worth the time. The part specifically about job interviews is at about 13:20.

http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_y...o_you_are.html
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by algebrat View Post
I dont know what to say about this
unemployable?
sounds like you just sit their giving them the finger and then wonder why no job
Old 01-26-2013, 01:28 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbler View Post
So how well does the interview measure the interviewee's ability to be a good employee?
Well, if the person's job will consist entirely of being interviewed by people, than pretty well. Otherwise, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:28 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I can't believe in the OP's case that the interviewer simply didn't watch him/her tutor a kid. That would be the most straightforward way of assessing competence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:44 PM
SOA

Pretend to be who they want. Control your emotions and just give it up. If you honestly can't sit for 10 minutes in a room with someone and can't hide your fury over the fact that you are getting interviewed then working in any environment which includes other live people probably will never work out.

I think this is probably a good wake up call for you, if you are incapable of basic social skills then you should work as a free lance coder where you get an email detailing what they want, you email them the completed project and get your money.