Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 01-26-2013, 06:34 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by algebrat View Post
Ive been tested on tutoring in an interview. Was given a problem on tarzan swinging and picking up Jane on the way. Went as far as explaining why momentum is conserved for a split second, regardless of gravity. And a couple other problems. I've got ample experience tutoring from grade school to graduates, in math and other sciences. This was for a city job tutoring low income students. The interviewer was on the admin side, and dropped words like "gonna", "head-up", and "south-side". I think in my cover letter, I made it clear that I had life experiences that would make me a benefit to the program in helping students make good choices besides just those in their science classes. But the impression I got was that when she found I out in interview I was a clean-cut looking white kid without a mouth-peice, I think she decided on a previous employee. She actually mentioned I was white and how could she tell I was from the south-side, er, south-end, when I met to follow up.

I hope to have another shot if a spot opens up, but over all I got an "you're not us" vibe. Which would be ironic since I could get the same vibe from upper-class. She pointed out the program had this and this minority so many times it got insulting. And lookin for the right fit, heard that several times, and I'm starting to imagine it's her way of saying you're white.

A friend of mine joked that I should get tattoos to fit in better, that white people from the hood with no tattoos come off as sneaky.

Anyway, I've tried to look at it a number of ways, but basically I think my interview presence will always be something I'm combatting.

Anyway, I should probably not post this, as I'm blowing myself up, and might not be portraying the situation precisely. But I like being an open book, I get more help that way. So criticize away, or encourage where where you like, relate or identify if you like.
Uh ok, that explanation might be understandable for this particular scenario, but you can't use the same excuse when you get rejected from an all-American "white boy" employer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for GED
Favorite beer: Scieoclean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Uh ok, that explanation might be understandable for this particular scenario, but you can't use the same excuse when you get rejected from an all-American "white boy" employer.
The intersection is, she thought I didn't explain why I was a good fit in-real-time. When I'm inspired, I can write a pretty good cover letter or resume, I usually get that by making a couple drafts until it just sort of comes out right. But when I'm at the interview, whether they don't think I'm ghetto enough, or they don't think I'm silver spoon enough, I won't convince em of what type of person I am. No mouth-piece. Can't argue my way out of a paper-bag.

Unless of course it's a technical concept, and I've had sufficient chance to trivialize the ideas. Or something like that.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for GED

And I'm great with youngsters! Cause I treat em more or less as equals. I think they're smarter than out brain tends to tell us. They just have a few less experiences. And you have to have a plug-in that some topics are not appropriate yet. You don't tell a toddler why exactly they should obey your suggestions, that's too complicated. So you only have to be more concise, or slip in the whys into fables and entertaining stories. And they don't need to know why they should be good exactly, but they need practice, so you expose them to interaction, and give them guidance.

Blah blah
Old 01-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for GED

And you dont assume you're always right in your advice, but that you have to give them something to work with, and tehy may even have insight into advice adjustments. CUZ THEY'RE SMART!

Blah blah too much coffee
Old 01-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Non-Actuary

Ok I have advice. Before going in, convince yourself that the interviewer is a child, physically overgrown.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Howe View Post
Ok I have advice. Before going in, convince yourself that the interviewer is a child, physically overgrown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for GED

yeah that's pretty good. i'll meditate on it tonight and see if i can trick myself.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:21 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS Exam 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by algebrat View Post
But the impression I got was that when she found I out in interview I was a clean-cut looking white kid without a mouth-peice, I think she decided on a previous employee. She actually mentioned I was white and how could she tell I was from the south-side, er, south-end, when I met to follow up.

I hope to have another shot if a spot opens up, but over all I got an "you're not us" vibe. Which would be ironic since I could get the same vibe from upper-class. She pointed out the program had this and this minority so many times it got insulting. And lookin for the right fit, heard that several times, and I'm starting to imagine it's her way of saying you're white.
The first time that I tried to get a job tutoring in the inner-city, the one thing that I said I wanted to work on was putting myself in such situations. They might want someone who is just like the children, in which case you're SOL. But sometimes it can be enough to recognize that you might not know where these children are coming from, but that you want to find out.

Anyway, I turned that job down. I later got a different job tutoring in the inner city, and with that one the issue never came up in the interview. And it was never problem on the job.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 PM
CAS SOA

What is Linear Processing Disorder?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
What is Linear Processing Disorder?
No idea, but I am guessing it is something along the lines of Aspergers. Maybe a very mild Aspergers, otherwise known as being a geek?